Re: [sig] Georgian names

  • Paul W Goldschmidt
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 29, 2008
      The only book I ever saw was written in Georgian so I couldn't even
      begin to read what the names actually were.

      -- Paul

      At 08:29 AM 1/29/2008, you wrote:

      >Does anyone have a source or sources for naming conventions and
      >names (especially surnames) for medieval Georgia (c. 1200s)?
      >
      >Many thanks,
      >
      >Tatiana
      >Nahrun Kabirun
    • Kataryna Dragonweaver
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 30, 2008
        If anyone speaks/reads Georgian as has enough time to translate a page-
        ish of written work, please contact me. I have a book on a Georgian
        pottery find (from the Middle Ages) that I'd really like a page or two
        translated from.
        I'm in love with one of the plates in it and want to know more about
        it. The bird motif on the plate looks like a motif found throughout
        the Slavic region but other plates that employ a similar technique are
        made in the Middle East.

        I'd like to know if the plate (and some of the other pieces) in the
        find were locally manufactured or if it is an import from the Middle
        East.
        -Kataryna

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

        > The only book I ever saw was written in Georgian so I couldn't even
        > begin to read what the names actually were.
        >
        > -- Paul
        >
        > At 08:29 AM 1/29/2008, you wrote:
        >
        > >Does anyone have a source or sources for naming conventions and
        > >names (especially surnames) for medieval Georgia (c. 1200s)?
        > >
        > >Many thanks,
        > >
        > >Tatiana
        > >Nahrun Kabirun

      • T Duran
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 30, 2008
          On 1/30/08, anubisgrrl@... <anubisgrrl@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone have a source or sources for naming conventions and names (especially surnames) for medieval Georgia (c. 1200s)?

          Hi Tatiana

          I'm on a similar quest. I'd very much appreciate it if you could pass
          on anything you manage to find.

          There is some good and useful commentary, including some links, in the
          January 2007 Letter of Intent from Artemesia, regarding the name
          subsequently registered as "Tamar Oqropiri":
          http://oscar.sca.org/index.php?action=100&loi=127

          In commentary, Ursula Georges notes, "My article "Warres Betweene the
          Turkes and the Persians" (
          http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/ursula/warres.html )has some examples
          of sixteenth-century English renderings (via Italian) of Georgian
          names. All the examples are royal, and don't incorporate surnames."
          (forwarded with permission)

          Georgian names are new territory for the SCA, so expect to do a bit of
          original research.

          Here are some links I've turned up. I haven't had time to vet them
          all for SCA suitability, so don't take this list as an endorsement:

          -- Georgian Grammar
          http://www.armazi.com/georgian/

          -- A paper "Iranian Elements in Georgian Language"
          http://www.cais-soas.com/CAIS/Culture/iranian_elements_georgian.htm

          -- The Georgian Chronicle (note that this is a translation from the Armenian)
          http://rbedrosian.com/gc1.htm
          the same book is available here:
          http://2020ok.com/books/69/the-georgian-chronicle-6169.htm

          -- The Foundation for Medieval Geneology (mostly royals, so won't help
          much with surnames)
          http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/GEORGIA.htm

          I have a copy of _Rewriting Caucasian History_:
          http://books.google.co.nz/books?id=MVBEwzIoAOAC&dq
          so if you find something interesting in the Armenian versiion of the
          Chronicle, I can try and find the equivalent in the Georgian (the
          spelling of the names can sometimes be quite different between the
          Armenian and the Gergian, even when both are rendered into the Latin
          alphabet).

          Good luck !

          Kazimira