Re: [sig] possibly obscure Russian question...

  • aldo
    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 18, 2008
      The skomorokhi actually are of obscure origin tho many a witness describe them in an apparel equal to that of the Tsigans. They appear in the Russian history not earlier than 1200 which corresponds to the arrival of one of the two Tsigan Branches which presumably left Rajastahn at that epoch in the Northern Caucasus. They brought along epecially the Bear Street Spectacles as it is still to see in Northern India at Fatehpur Sikri. However their shows were very much appreciated by the Russian villagers and, as the bear had to sleep in the wintertime, there was always a place for this beats and its holder to give a shelter to both in the village.The Skomorokhi made many curious things: The counted the hair on the head, announced future events by reading the hands, they held tent theaters and sold amulets and, as they usually wandered from one village to the other, they also told stories and news at the market places from other far lands and countries. They were renowned as ironmongers and smiths but actually they just repaired metallic objects more than making them.

      Aldo

      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 27, 2008
        U're right. The Bear Academy was located in the present-day Belarus in the town of SMORGON not far from Vilnius. It was one of the sponsored activities of the Radziwill family's.
        Ciao

        Aldo