possibly obscure Russian question...

  • Rachel Sampsel
    Message 1 of 45 , Jan 18, 2008
      Does anyone know anything about the Skomorokhi?

      I still putter around with my masking research and the Novgorod Mueseum
      has these fabulous examples of leather masks that are labeled as being
      used by the skomorkhi. The only problem is that I have no context for
      their use (plays? specific characters? just whatever "spoke" to the
      performer?). I'd also like to have a stronger idea of how they were
      painted, since most of the examples have decayed too much to see those
      details.

      Are there manuscripts floating around with skomorokhi puttering around in
      the margins or maybe a description of what they did or if the masks
      pertain to specific characters or anything like that? Does anyone have a
      copy of the archeaological paper(s) they might be mentioned in?

      Anything would help.

      http://eng.novgorodmuseum.ru/museums/exp/exp1.shtml
      (it doesn't have the best pictures - the best I've found thus actually
      come from stateside visitors bringing back their own photos).

      Patches
    • aldo
      Message 45 of 45 , Jan 27, 2008
        U're right. The Bear Academy was located in the present-day Belarus in the town of SMORGON not far from Vilnius. It was one of the sponsored activities of the Radziwill family's.
        Ciao

        Aldo