1612 review

  • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 15, 2008
      I just viewed my copy last night night. It was very well done and produced.
      There were some glaring inaccuracies (fully winged hussaria, about 80 years
      too soon, a spaniard having a Fabris fencing manual with him), but it was
      enjoyable for what it was - entertainment and not a documentary.

      The costuming seemed well done (can't tell on the russian stuff, since I'm
      not an expert), but all the various ethnic groups' clothing looked like I
      have seen in extant sources. They even got the fencing style correct for the
      Spaniard character (La Destreza, as it should have been).

      It was fairly easy to follow along, even without subtitles in English. The
      battle scenes were very well done, and the digital effects were used to
      great effect. They are worth the price of admission, as is the dueling scene
      where you see saber fighting vs. Spanish fencing.

      A good movie overall, even if the Poles had to be the bad guys. :)
      --
      Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
      "Most people live their lives as if they had another one in the bank" - Ben

    • Paul W Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 15, 2008
        So, how did you get a copy?

        -- Paul

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 15, 2008
          probably off the net.
          --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

          > So, how did you get a copy?
          >
          > -- Paul
          >
          > At 08:20 AM 1/15/2008, you wrote:
          > >I just viewed my copy last night night. It was very
          > well done and produced.
          > >There were some glaring inaccuracies (fully winged
          > hussaria, about 80 years
          > >too soon, a spaniard having a Fabris fencing manual
          > with him), but it was
          > >enjoyable for what it was - entertainment and not a
          > documentary.

          Best Regards,
          'dok
          "Some people have sacred cows and they make very tasty steaks"

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Ron Roberts
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 16, 2008
            I know Sir Donnghal, Sir Eduard(current king of Atenveldt), Lord
            Kazimir, and I all want to see that movie.
            So please tell us how to get a copy
            have fun
            zippy (aka Zhigmun')
          • Maremeiana
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 16, 2008
              Hello dear gentles,

              I have seen 1612 when it became available on the .torrent cites, or
              available for download in other words. I have found a copy for download here
              - http://www.mininova.org/tor/1010657, sorry, I am not sure if it has
              english subtitles. Another way to search for movies for download is to try
              google "1612 torrent".
              I know mininova is a fairly safe site to download from, and I have gotten a
              few movies from there.

              Another source I use for russian movies is www.kinozal.tv, the site is in
              russian and requires registration.

              I love the costumes in 1612, I think $10+ mil they spent on it was quite
              worth it. I believe most of polish costumes were made in england, but all
              russian and especially "close-up" fighting costumes were made by russian
              craftsmen in russia. (Iv heard rumors that same costumes are being used in
              filming "Taras Bulba" or aka "zaporozhskaya sech" film, coming out in 2008).
              Not going to comment on the story-line, because there isnt one...lots of
              "creative historical touches" on my opition.

              All in all, I have enjoyed the film, hopefully you will as well.

              Sincerely,
              Maremeiana.