Re: [sig] Re:next Slavic U

  • nd sca
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 18, 2007
      Greetings from a new member... from the Outlands ( New Mexico) We here are used to camping in the desert, where it is a requirement to wear everything you own every day, from the lightest clothes during the day to the warmest clothes, hats, boots, cloaks, etc. at night... camping is good! Although we have more people attend where there is a possibility of hotels for day trippers.

      Natal'ia Georgivicha

      Sfandra <seonaid13@...> wrote: --- mykanderson <mykanderson@...> wrote:
      > I would like to throw a couple questions out here
      > about Slavic U that
      > might help the next Autocrat plan the next one.

      > 1. Some people have said they might travel further
      > and even try harder
      > to make it if the event was a weekend event. So
      > what more could we
      > offer to make it a weekend long event?

      A revel of course. Particularly if there was a
      possible source of live music. :D

      Also I don't think we need to keep this A&S oriented:
      Fighters could have a tourney, with an appropriately
      themed prize, maybe an additional prize for authentic
      armor. Dunno about fencing, but an Archery
      competition would be good. Classes in applicable
      techniques - mongolian archery, for example - could
      flesh out the class schedule.

      > 2. How do people feel about camping? If it was
      > during a cooler season
      > where you could wear your warmer garb but still camp
      > this alleviates the cost of hotel.

      I think if we would do it as a camping event, that
      would be more difficult for travellers, and yet still
      more cost effective, so each attendee would have to
      make a decision -- if you had a camping site that had
      nearby reasonably priced hotels, then you'd be golden.

      However, I also think that camping gives us a wider
      window of when to hold the event. I know that I camp
      in Vermont over Memorial Day weekend, in the
      mountains, and it is generally pretty COLD at night,
      so I do pack my shuba and my fur hats and my boots. I
      suspect that most northern regions would still be cool
      enough even into May or early June for us to dress
      appropriately.... (except for me, I'm kievan, and our
      climate is more like Virginia than Vermont ;p ....)

      --Sfandra

      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
      Haus Von Drakenklaue
      Kingdom of the East