Thoughts on Slavic U

  • charles stefanich
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2007
      As co-autocrat of Slavic U, I have been following the discussion with great interest. First and foremost I think Slavic U should be a yearly event. Possibly schedule them in 2 year blocks for planning,2008 and 2009 scheduled say. But it is so much more than a meeting held at 2 wars. And the more exposure Slavic peoples have in the SCA the better.
      I would suggest having it rotated among the Kingdoms. Most of us are limited by time and financial constraints from travelling great distances. With rotation eventually one will be held where you can attend. Also as many local non-Slavic personas will attend we share our culture with a wider audiance within the SCA and may "convert" some. WE have 3 seriously considering changing to a Slavic persona
      Class notes if at all possible should be available to all. Pan Zygmunt will have our class notes available in a format available to all. Even if we can't be there the information will be a welcome addition to our shared knowledge.
      Event costs must be considered as we rely on a local group to sponsor the event. A 2 or 3 day event would be great but if the costs site rental etc are high the local group may, if attendance for whatever reason is too low to cover, take a financial beating.
      Also staff is a consideration. Only 3 members of our staff have Slavic personas. We had volunteers from all Cantons in our Barony. An example lunch tavern, sausage was made by a person from one Canton,cooked by one from a second and served by members from a third. Only one staffer was from the Canton where the event was physically held. Something to consider when bidding to host Slavic U.
      Just a few thoughts off the top of my head. I personnaly would like to see this become a yearly event. It is possible and really not all that hard to do.

      Istvan Valkai