RE: [sig] Re: Slavic U

  • David H.
    Message 1 of 30 , Dec 7, 2007
      I will not be attending either but I, too, would like a copy of the notes.

      David
      (who is considering the SCA name of Andre)

      To: sig@yahoogroups.comFrom: sarayya@...: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 12:13:27 -0800Subject: [sig] Re: Slavic U

      I hope all those attending Slavic U have a wonderful time. I'm sorry I can't be there, but I'll be thinking of you, and looking forward to a digital copy of the class notes if they'll be available.Best regards to all from Soraya EvodiaCaid[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

    • charles stefanich
      Message 2 of 30 , Dec 10, 2007
        Slavic U was a lot of fun and I learned so much. A big thank you to all who taught classes.
        I also now possess a pair of red pants that aren't mine. If you would like them back please let me know where I can send them.
        See you all and many new friends at Slavic U II. There will be a Slavic U II won't there? Need to start planning.
        Valkai Istvan

        Message 3 of 30 , Jan 5, 2008
          I also will be at Pennsic and will be happy to help out and/or teach if a
          Slavic U track is planned.

          Marija

        • Marilyn Kinyon
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 14, 2009
            The one I am proposing would be in Martinsburg, WV. SCA Sylvan Glen, Aethelmearc. This is about 2 hrs from Washington D.C. I am trying to see what folks think of the May 31st Memorial Day Weekend ? That would allow for more time for travel. We will be keeping the price fairly low and will be giving some kind of admission break for teachers.

            Marija
          • Eleonora Pragensis
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 14, 2009
              can someone get in touch with a modest hotel and see if we can score a group
              rate then feed that info to us or provide a list of reasonably priced hotels
              within 10 miles of the site?

              --
              Dáma Eleonora Pragensis
              Order of the Opal
            • nd sca
              Message 6 of 30 , Aug 4, 2009
                Some results (prices from Orbitz):

                Holiday Inn MARTINSBURG   $129
                301 FOXCROFT AVENUE, Martinsburg, WV
                1.1 Miles West of Martinsburg (City Center)

                Hampton Inn $116
                975 Foxcroft Avenue, Martinsburg, WV
                1.4 Miles Southwest of Martinsburg (City Center)

                Knight's Inn $49
                 1997 Edwin Miller Blvd, Martinsburg, WV
                2 Miles North of Martinsburg (City Center)

                Super 8  $49
                2048 Edwin Miller Blvd, Martinsburg, WV
                1.4 Miles North of Martinsburg (City Center)

                --

              • Patoodle@aol.com
                Message 7 of 30 , Aug 10, 2009
                  I'm just digging out from the Pennsic e-mail backup, but somehow I am amused at the notion of a bunch of medieval reenactors descending on the Knights Inn. *grin*

                  Looking forward to Slavic U!

                  Patricia of Trakai

                  .1 Miles West of Martinsburg (City Center)

                  ampton Inn $116
                  75 Foxcroft Avenue, Martinsburg, WV
                  .4 Miles Southwest of Martinsburg (City Center)

                  night's Inn $49
                  1997 Edwin Miller Blvd, Martinsburg, WV
                  Miles North of Martinsburg (City Center)

                  uper 8  $49
                  048 Edwin Miller Blvd, Martinsburg, WV
                  .4 Miles North of Martinsburg (City Center)

                  --- On Tue, 7/14/09, Eleonora Pragensis <eleonora.z.praha@...> wrote:

                  rom: Eleonora Pragensis <eleonora.z.praha@...>
                  ubject: Re: [sig] Slavic U
                  o: sig@yahoogroups.com
                  ate: Tuesday, July 14, 2009, 12:47 PM

                  an someone get in touch with a modest hotel and see if we can score a group
                  ate then feed that info to us or provide a list of reasonably priced hotels
                  ithin 10 miles of the site?
                  On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 12:14 PM, Marilyn Kinyon <mamalynxx@gmail. com>wrote:

                  The one I am proposing would be in Martinsburg, WV. SCA Sylvan Glen,
                  Aethelmearc. This is about 2 hrs from Washington D.C. I am trying to see
                  what folks think of the May 31st Memorial Day Weeke
                  nd ? That would allow for
                  more time for travel. We will be keeping the price fairly low and will be
                  giving some kind of admission break for teachers.

                  Marija

                  --
                  áma Eleonora Pragensis
                  rder of the Opal
                  ebminister and Minister of Arts and Sciences
                  hire of Cathanar
                  ingdom of Atlantia

                • lori h-b/ raven
                  Message 8 of 30 , Aug 10, 2009
                    Is Sylvan Glen doing the event?

                    raven

                    After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same box.

                    rom: Eleonora Pragensis <eleonora.z.praha@ gmail.com>

                    Message 9 of 30 , Aug 10, 2009
                      Pat & All,

                      Ok, I'm going nuts. I saw a nice dress that I could live with in Pat's book by Ruta Guzeviciute and have been doing research since I got home from Pennsic, yet I keep coming across everything but Lithuania 1550-1600. I'll be going to DC maybe next weekend but was wondering if anyone has a clue as to where I might look, online that is.  Any help is greatly apprecitated.

                      If nothing else, I did find 3 from Poland that I could probably use.

                      Thanks,

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jan 28, 2011
                        An Tir has a number of us, and I'm near Seatac Airport in WA - but I'm not
                        sure we could put something together before winter ourselves...

                        WA is another corner - what do you folks think? Doable?

                      • Bphall76
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jan 28, 2011
                          I'd vote An Tir as a possibility. Two major airports within 2 hours of each other (Portland and SeaTac), friendly people, and weather cool enough for full winter gear. Not that I'm volunteering.

                          Vasilisa

                          An Tir has a number of us, and I'm near Seatac Airport in WA - but I'm not
                          sure we could put something together before winter ourselves...

                          WA is another corner - what do you folks think? Doable?

                        • goldschp tds.net
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jan 28, 2011
                            I'm looking for volunteers. :)

                            As far as I'm concerned, ANY location will work. We just need a group that
                            is willing to sponsor the event.

                            -- Paul

                            On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Bphall76 <bphall76@...> wrote:

                            > I'd vote An Tir as a possibility. Two major airports within 2 hours of each
                            > other (Portland and SeaTac), friendly people, and weather cool enough for
                            > full winter gear. Not that I'm volunteering.
                            >
                            > Vasilisa

                          • Patches the gypsy
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jan 29, 2011
                              I'm afraid this post will once again expose my ignorance (like that isn't a common occurrence whenever I poke my head out of my hole) but with Slavic U, what are the requirements for hosting? Is it big enough to demand full kingdom backing or is a barony enough for the job? How many attendees show up on average? Does it have to be in winter? Would fall or spring work as well? Do instructors tend to come solely from this group or do folks from the local area tend to suddenly pop up and state they'd like to do a class on Polish Calligraphy and Illumination?

                              I've never been to a Slavic U because of money, location and timing, so I really have no basis for understanding what the expectations and requirements are, but it would help to have them so that a potential autocrat could sell the idea to the funding group.

                              Raisa Zaplatskaya
                              "Patches"

                              --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "goldschp tds.net" <goldschp@...> wrote:

                              > I'm looking for volunteers. :)
                              >
                              > As far as I'm concerned, ANY location will work. We just need a group that
                              > is willing to sponsor the event.
                              >

                              > -- Paul
                              >
                              > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Bphall76 <bphall76@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > I'd vote An Tir as a possibility. Two major airports within 2 hours of each
                              > > other (Portland and SeaTac), friendly people, and weather cool enough for
                              > > full winter gear. Not that I'm volunteering.
                              > >
                              > > Vasilisa

                            • Paul W Goldschmidt
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jan 29, 2011
                                Certainly! These are great questions!

                                I'm sure that the former Slavic U autocrats can
                                pipe in with the details, but the event tends to
                                be small-ish and certainly within the bounds of a
                                shire or barony. This is no Kingdom and Known
                                World event. Most of the attendees will be
                                locals. There are a few folks in the jet set
                                (like myself) who will fly in from out of
                                Kingdom, but it won't be a significant part of the attenders.

                                The event can be (and has been) held at different times of year.

                                Thanks,
                                Paul Wickenden

                                At 11:03 AM 1/29/2011, you wrote:

                                >I'm afraid this post will once again expose my
                                >ignorance (like that isn't a common occurrence
                                >whenever I poke my head out of my hole) but with
                                >Slavic U, what are the requirements for hosting?
                                >Is it big enough to demand full kingdom backing
                                >or is a barony enough for the job? How many
                                >attendees show up on average? Does it have to be
                                >in winter? Would fall or spring work as well? Do
                                >instructors tend to come solely from this group
                                >or do folks from the local area tend to suddenly
                                >pop up and state they'd like to do a class on
                                >Polish Calligraphy and Illumination?
                                >
                                >I've never been to a Slavic U because of money,
                                >location and timing, so I really have no basis
                                >for understanding what the expectations and
                                >requirements are, but it would help to have them
                                >so that a potential autocrat could sell the idea to the funding group.
                                >
                                >Raisa Zaplatskaya
                                >"Patches"
                                >
                                >--- In
                                ><mailto:sig%40yahoogroups.com>sig@yahoogroups.com,
                                >"goldschp tds.net" <goldschp@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > I'm looking for volunteers. :)
                                > >
                                > > As far as I'm concerned, ANY location will work. We just need a group that
                                > > is willing to sponsor the event.
                                > >

                                > > -- Paul
                                > >
                                > > On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 2:00 PM, Bphall76 <bphall76@...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > > I'd vote An Tir as a possibility. Two major
                                > airports within 2 hours of each
                                > > > other (Portland and SeaTac), friendly people, and weather cool enough for
                                > > > full winter gear. Not that I'm volunteering.
                                > > >
                                > > > Vasilisa

                              • Kristina Jarvis
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jan 29, 2011
                                  I'm willing to take a look at a Slavic U for 2012, but this year is
                                  not a good year for us (We're in the middle of a baronial changeover
                                  at the moment). Since I am still new to this idea, how does the Slavic
                                  U work?

                                  Kseniia
                                • Patty
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jan 29, 2011
                                    I attended the most recent Slavic University (April 2010, Kingdom of Aethelmearc) and wrote about some aspects of the event here: http://ladypatriciaoftrakai.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html. The website for the event is still up: http://www.zadruga-kotok.org/SlavicU2010.html.

                                    It was a day of classes and no martial activities -- something that you'd call a collegium or schola in many SCA kingdoms. Last year's Slavic U was right near the point where Aethelmearc, Atlantia and the East Kingdom all come together, so we had representation mostly from those three kingdoms plus the Midrealm.

                                    Based on what I observed in 2010, I'd suggest looking for a site that could accommodate three tracks of classes (three classrooms, preferably), plus a larger main hall for feast, A&S display, and socializing. Ideally, one of the classrooms would accommodate a large table or similar workspace -- I have a hard time imagining anyone trying to teach a hands-on "how to make a zupan" class on those little fold-up armrest desks! Also, ideally, the site would be within a short drive of some reasonably priced hotel/motel accommodations for people traveling a long distance.

                                    The reason why people have been suggesting holding Slavic U during the colder months is that it's easier to dress up in furs, heavy brocades, etc. when the weather is NOT oppressively hot. Also, during the warmer months the event would face a lot more competition for weekends from events that do include fighting and aren't so special-interest.

                                    Finally, the reason why I haven't been saying "Gee, I'd like to host a Slavic U!" is that I live only a 90-minute drive from the most recent Slavic U (which was less than a mile from the boundary of my home kingdom). Plus, indoor rental space in my barony is pretty darn expensive because of the presence of Our Nation's Capital. I'd be happy to see Slavic U move around the Known World, regardless of whether my financial situation is such that I can attend any one particular university.

                                    In service,
                                    Patricia of Trakai

                                    I'm willing to take a look at a Slavic U for 2012, but this year is

                                    not a good year for us (We're in the middle of a baronial changeover

                                    at the moment). Since I am still new to this idea, how does the Slavic

                                    U work?

                                    Kseniia

                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    sig-digest@yahoogroups.com

                                    sig-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • lori/ raven
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jan 29, 2011
                                      Although I'd like to see it in my backyard again, I agree with Pat that it's a good idea it moves around a bit. We did have a great time last year!

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jan 30, 2011
                                        As some have already mentioned, Slavic U doesn't need to be big. I've toyed
                                        with making it a Known Worlde event, simply because you get free adverts in
                                        all the kingdom newsletters. There are other advantages as well, but I don't
                                        remember them off hand.

                                        I decided to hold the first one in the winter, simply because it wasn't
                                        across from another fighting-centric event, and because we could finally
                                        dress up in our furs and brocades without opressive heat! I believe I had
                                        three tracks of classes. You can see the class list here -
                                        http://www.plcommonwealth.org/slavunotes.htm

                                        I'll go just about anywhere, given enough notice.
                                        --
                                        Zygmunt Nadratowski
                                        "Life is hard. Then you die. Then they throw dirt in your face. Then the

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jan 30, 2011
                                          I don't think adding a bit of martial activity would HARM the event, though. I certainly would be interested in, for example, a class on mongolian archery that actually had shooting. Fighting is a big part of the SCA; why not a tournament based on Pennsic's "Warriors Of History" tourney, where the participants have to bring documentation for their kit? Anyone with an Eastern European/Turkic/Mongolian kit may enter, with complete documentation. Then we also hand out 2 awards - one for the winner of the tourney, and one for best kit.

                                          The last Slavic U was great. I have to admit, I'm willing to fly cross country too. It would be great if we could find a bigger audience by moving it around.

                                          --Sfandra

                                          ******************
                                          Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                                          KOE, OM, Haus VDK, East Kingdom
                                          http://sfandra.webs.com
                                          ******************
                                          Never 'pearl' your butt.
                                          "Ja mogu sdelat' to."
                                          ******************

                                          > backyard again, I agree with Pat that it's a good idea it
                                          > moves around a bit. We did have a great time last year!
                                          > raven
                                          >
                                          > After the game, the king and the pawn go into the same
                                          > box.
                                          >
                                          > --- On Sat, 1/29/11, Patty <Patoodle@...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          >
                                          > From: Patty <Patoodle@...>
                                          > Subject: Re: [sig] Re: Slavic U
                                          > To: sig@yahoogroups.com
                                          > Date: Saturday, January 29, 2011, 6:00 PM

                                          >       I attended the most recent Slavic
                                          > University (April 2010, Kingdom of Aethelmearc) and wrote
                                          > about some aspects of the event here: http://ladypatriciaoftrakai.blogspot.com/2010_04_01_archive.html.
                                          > The website for the event is still up: http://www.zadruga-kotok.org/SlavicU2010.html.
                                          >

                                          > It was a day of classes and no martial activities --
                                          > something that you'd call a collegium or schola in many SCA
                                          > kingdoms. Last year's Slavic U was right near the point
                                          > where Aethelmearc, Atlantia and the East Kingdom all come
                                          > together, so we had representation mostly from those three
                                          > kingdoms plus the Midrealm.
                                          >

                                          > Based on what I observed in 2010, I'd suggest looking for a
                                          > site that could accommodate three tracks of classes (three
                                          > classrooms, preferably), plus a larger main hall for feast,
                                          > A&S display, and socializing. Ideally, one of the
                                          > classrooms would accommodate a large table or similar
                                          > workspace -- I have a hard time imagining anyone trying to
                                          > teach a hands-on "how to make a zupan" class on those little
                                          > fold-up armrest desks! Also, ideally, the site would be
                                          > within a short drive of some reasonably priced hotel/motel
                                          > accommodations for people traveling a long distance.
                                          >

                                          > The reason why people have been suggesting holding Slavic U
                                          > during the colder months is that it's easier to dress up in
                                          > furs, heavy brocades, etc. when the weather is NOT
                                          > oppressively hot. Also, during the warmer months the event
                                          > would face a lot more competition for weekends from events
                                          > that do include fighting and aren't so special-interest.
                                          >

                                          > Finally, the reason why I haven't been saying "Gee, I'd
                                          > like to host a Slavic U!" is that I live only a 90-minute
                                          > drive from the most recent Slavic U (which was less than a
                                          > mile from the boundary of my home kingdom). Plus, indoor
                                          > rental space in my barony is pretty darn expensive because
                                          > of the presence of Our Nation's Capital. I'd be happy to see
                                          > Slavic U move around the Known World, regardless of whether
                                          > my financial situation is such that I can attend any one
                                          > particular university.
                                          >

                                          > In service,
                                          >
                                          > Patricia of Trakai

                                        • Beth Harper
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Feb 1, 2011
                                            I suppose it's past time to introduce myself, I've only been lurking on this
                                            list for a year and a half now. :-D My name is Liepa and I'm in the Outlands
                                            (actually in a pre-incipient baby shire, which is taking up a lot of my
                                            time!) and my persona is tribal Baltic - primarily 8-9th c. Letgallian, but
                                            I bounce around a fair bit.

                                            I'm not able to offer to autocrat an entire event at this time, but if
                                            there's any interest, I'd be happy to hostess a Balto-Slavic Tea at the
                                            upcoming Battlemoor II, in southern Colorado over 4th of July extended
                                            weekend (it's a five-day event, on a remote and gorgeous site halfway
                                            between Denver and Albuquerque, New Mexico). There was an Indian tea last
                                            year and it was a raging success; I know the organizers would love to have
                                            these sorts of activities become a regular feature of the event.

                                            Liepa

                                          • Amy Tubbs
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Feb 1, 2011
                                              Do you have a range of numbers to define "small-ish"? A "small-ish" event
                                              here in southern California is probably between 50 and 100 people. I only
                                              ask because of the size requirements for a site.
                                              -- Vitasha

                                              On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...>wrote:

                                              > Certainly! These are great questions!
                                              >
                                              > I'm sure that the former Slavic U autocrats can
                                              > pipe in with the details, but the event tends to
                                              > be small-ish and certainly within the bounds of a
                                              > shire or barony. This is no Kingdom and Known
                                              > World event. Most of the attendees will be
                                              > locals. There are a few folks in the jet set
                                              > (like myself) who will fly in from out of
                                              > Kingdom, but it won't be a significant part of the attenders.
                                              >
                                              > The event can be (and has been) held at different times of year.
                                              >
                                              > Thanks,
                                              > Paul Wickenden
                                              >

                                              > At 11:03 AM 1/29/2011, you wrote:
                                              > >

                                              > >I'm afraid this post will once again expose my
                                              > >ignorance (like that isn't a common occurrence
                                              > >whenever I poke my head out of my hole) but with
                                              > >Slavic U, what are the requirements for hosting?
                                              > >Is it big enough to demand full kingdom backing
                                              > >or is a barony enough for the job? How many
                                              > >attendees show up on average? Does it have to be
                                              > >in winter? Would fall or spring work as well? Do
                                              > >instructors tend to come solely from this group
                                              > >or do folks from the local area tend to suddenly
                                              > >pop up and state they'd like to do a class on
                                              > >Polish Calligraphy and Illumination?
                                              > >
                                              > >I've never been to a Slavic U because of money,
                                              > >location and timing, so I really have no basis
                                              > >for understanding what the expectations and
                                              > >requirements are, but it would help to have them
                                              > >so that a potential autocrat could sell the idea to the funding group.
                                              > >
                                              > >Raisa Zaplatskaya
                                              > >"Patches"
                                              > >
                                              > >--- In
                                              > ><mailto:sig%40yahoogroups.com <sig%2540yahoogroups.com>>
                                              > sig@yahoogroups.com <sig%40yahoogroups.com>,
                                              > >"goldschp tds.net" <goldschp@...> wrote:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > I'm looking for volunteers. :)
                                              > > >
                                              > > > As far as I'm concerned, ANY location will work. We just need a group
                                              > that
                                              > > > is willing to sponsor the event.
                                              > > >

                                              > > > -- Paul

                                              > > airports within 2 hours of each
                                              > for

                                            • panimarijah
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Mar 26 4:26 PM
                                                Hi, I am also in Aethelmearc and autocrated the last SU that was held in Aethelmearc. I'll definitely be happy to teach classes for you and help in any other way I can. We worked out of two cookbooks primarily & some old family recipes; ( and no I'm not really a feastocrat). I know I've got a really good venison recipe stashed away from the event.
                                                The books I have are "The best of Polish Cookery" by Karen West and "Polish Cookery" by Ochorowicz and Monatowa. Let me know what kind of help you need. I also would be happy to make some spiff slavic themed ceramic site tokens if you are interested.

                                                As far as teaching I have taught a Kievan Daily Life class that is usually well received. And can also do a who lived where when class that covers tribes and tribal movements. And Kievan Illumination. Or I would be open to putting together a class on Novgorod and Slavic Pottery which is a subject I have been studying a lot lately.

                                                Marija Kotok
                                              • Zsigmond Szekely
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Apr 3, 2013
                                                  Where is the slavic u going to be