Re: new member, questions

  • Karen Donaldson
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
      Much thanks, I made note of the books and found another- When Ethnicity Did Not Matter in the Balkans: A Study of Identity in Pre-Nationalist Croatia, Dalmatia, and Slavonia in the Medieval and Early-Modern Periods I hope our library can get them in (I hope the library will be open this week... Things run slow around here)
      Please do post if you find more. I suspect this will be a long hunting season. Karen DW

      "I get lots of stuff on ILL... I vaguely remember a discussion of the Vlach migration into
      Dalmatia... but I think it was 14th century... I believe it was in "The Uskoks of Senj" which I
      mentioned in a post a few months ago. (I'm too lazy to go through the archives myself to
      find the original post.) And I just yesterday got an immense volume on Croatia in the early
      Middle Ages so as I dig through that I'll let you know if I find anything relevant to your
      search."

    • Suz Walsh
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
        Hello!
        I'm also new to this group, although I've been in the SCA for a few years.
        I'm kinda interested in an odd period, namely traders from Eastern Europe in Constantinople before the 4th Crusade.
        I'd especially like some help with naming, if possible, mostly I want to make sure my name is kosher, especially because naming practices are different in that part of the world and this being Atlantia, we're overrun with 14th c. French and Viking knowledge. So resource help, especially web-wise would be helpful. Thanks!
        Suzannne / Sofia

      • Patricia Hefner
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
          You might want to check out my research site at http://scholar76.tripod.com/castle2/

          Isabelle de Foix
          Kingdom of Meridies

          Support your friendly local autistics....I'm one of them

          I'm also new to this group, although I've been in the SCA for a few years.
          I'm kinda interested in an odd period, namely traders from Eastern Europe in Constantinople before the 4th Crusade.
          I'd especially like some help with naming, if possible, mostly I want to make sure my name is kosher, especially because naming practices are different in that part of the world and this being Atlantia, we're overrun with 14th c. French and Viking knowledge. So resource help, especially web-wise would be helpful. Thanks!
          Suzannne / Sofia

          http://www.yahoo com/r/hs

        • L.M. Kies
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
            There were lots of different "Eastern Europeans" in Constantinople before the 4th Crusade - Bulgars, Romanians, Rus, etc. etc. The different Slavic peoples had different naming practices. And many "Eastern Europeans" are not even Slavic. You'll need to narrow down your focus a bit before you can get very far into the details of naming, etc.

            Sofya

            Yahoo! Groups Links