Re: new member, questions

  • Karen Donaldson-Webb
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
      Thank you for the suggestions. I am not able to access
      the 'wapedia.mobi' files. I'm not sure what the format is. The Leeds
      site looks interesting and they have a free trial so I will delve into
      that. I have picked up several Croation history books and there never
      seems to be more than a single line reference to rural ethnic groups.
      Karen

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Tubbs" <ivanova.doch@...> wrote:

      > You have probably already seen all of this, but I thought I would
      try to
      > help...
      >
      > Morlachs/Vlach Shepherds: http://wapedia.mobi/en/Morlachs
      > http://wapedia.mobi/en/Dalmatia#2.2.
      >
      > Institute for Medieval Studies:
      > http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/IndexTermPapers.jsp?
      IndexTermNumber=84&Term=Social%20History&year=2007
    • Karen Donaldson
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
        Much thanks, I made note of the books and found another- When Ethnicity Did Not Matter in the Balkans: A Study of Identity in Pre-Nationalist Croatia, Dalmatia, and Slavonia in the Medieval and Early-Modern Periods I hope our library can get them in (I hope the library will be open this week... Things run slow around here)
        Please do post if you find more. I suspect this will be a long hunting season. Karen DW

        "I get lots of stuff on ILL... I vaguely remember a discussion of the Vlach migration into
        Dalmatia... but I think it was 14th century... I believe it was in "The Uskoks of Senj" which I
        mentioned in a post a few months ago. (I'm too lazy to go through the archives myself to
        find the original post.) And I just yesterday got an immense volume on Croatia in the early
        Middle Ages so as I dig through that I'll let you know if I find anything relevant to your
        search."

      • Suz Walsh
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
          Hello!
          I'm also new to this group, although I've been in the SCA for a few years.
          I'm kinda interested in an odd period, namely traders from Eastern Europe in Constantinople before the 4th Crusade.
          I'd especially like some help with naming, if possible, mostly I want to make sure my name is kosher, especially because naming practices are different in that part of the world and this being Atlantia, we're overrun with 14th c. French and Viking knowledge. So resource help, especially web-wise would be helpful. Thanks!
          Suzannne / Sofia

        • Patricia Hefner
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
            You might want to check out my research site at http://scholar76.tripod.com/castle2/

            Isabelle de Foix
            Kingdom of Meridies

            Support your friendly local autistics....I'm one of them

            I'm also new to this group, although I've been in the SCA for a few years.
            I'm kinda interested in an odd period, namely traders from Eastern Europe in Constantinople before the 4th Crusade.
            I'd especially like some help with naming, if possible, mostly I want to make sure my name is kosher, especially because naming practices are different in that part of the world and this being Atlantia, we're overrun with 14th c. French and Viking knowledge. So resource help, especially web-wise would be helpful. Thanks!
            Suzannne / Sofia

            http://www.yahoo com/r/hs

          • L.M. Kies
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
              There were lots of different "Eastern Europeans" in Constantinople before the 4th Crusade - Bulgars, Romanians, Rus, etc. etc. The different Slavic peoples had different naming practices. And many "Eastern Europeans" are not even Slavic. You'll need to narrow down your focus a bit before you can get very far into the details of naming, etc.

              Sofya

              Yahoo! Groups Links