Re: [sig] new member, questions

  • Amy Tubbs
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2007
      You have probably already seen all of this, but I thought I would try to
      help...

      The Vlach: http://www.angelfire.com/realm/vlachs/ (towards the bottom of
      the page)

      Vlachs - wikipedia:
      http://www.411sync.com/cgi-bin/portal?d=1&kw=Vlachs_people

      Morlachs/Vlach Shepherds: http://wapedia.mobi/en/Morlachs
      http://wapedia.mobi/en/Dalmatia#2.2.

      Institute for Medieval Studies:
      http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/IndexTermPapers.jsp?IndexTermNumber=84&Term=Social%20History&year=2007

      106-b: Native and Foreign Clergymen in the Late Medieval Dalmatian Communes:
      A Case of Zadar<http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/SessionDetails.jsp?SessionId=1788&year=2007&PaperId=5654#5654>
      http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/SessionDetails.jsp?SessionId=1788&year=2007&PaperId=5654#5654

      814-c: Space and the Formation of Public Opinion in Dalmatian Towns,
      13th-14th Centuries<http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/SessionDetails.jsp?SessionId=1990&year=2007&PaperId=6164#6164>
      http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/SessionDetails.jsp?SessionId=1990&year=2007&PaperId=6164#6164

      106-c: The Artists and their Clientele in the Late Medieval Dalmatian
      Commune of Rab<http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/SessionDetails.jsp?SessionId=1788&year=2007&PaperId=5655#5655>
      http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/SessionDetails.jsp?SessionId=1788&year=2007&PaperId=5655#5655

      Purdue seems to have some slides. I don't know if you live near there or
      near a library that has an inter-library loan policy:
      http://www.cla.purdue.edu/medieval-studies/Ohlgren/Handlist5.html

      Here's a wikipedia hit:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_cultural_and_historic_presence_in_Dalmatia

      Croatian National Tourist Board. A difficult read due to the layout:
      http://www.croatia.hr/English/Destinacije/Opcenito.aspx?idDestination=40&idProperty=55

      -- Vitasha

      On Nov 30, 2007 4:24 PM, Karen Donaldson-Webb <kl_donaldson@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi, I am glad to find this group and have enjoyed going through the
      > files and photos.
      > I am researching 12th & 13th c. Dalmatia. Our local library is not
      > well stocked and other than a few costume collection type books I
      > haven't found anything useful.
      > At this point I am particularly interested in the shepherd people
      > Vlach, or Morlach. Can anyone suggest online resources or additional
      > keywords I should use? I'm tired of dodging pictures of spotted dogs
      > 8-) I would like, of course to find information of dress and customs
      > as well as information about where they were settled in the 12-13th
      > centuries.
      > Suggestions please, Thank you Karen DW

    • Suzanne
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2007
        Welcome, Karen!
        I'm happy to see another "Dalmatian" on the list. I'm primarily looking at 15th-16th
        century but I always enjoy time traveling. :-) Whenever I start on a new journey, I use 2
        volumes by John V.A. Fine, Jr. as my guidebooks. These are available in paperback--I got
        mine from Borders a few years ago--and they are well-indexed, have glossaries and a
        select bibliography and so serve as quick reference tools: "The Early Medieval Balkans: a
        critical survey from the 6th to the late 12th century" (1983) and "The Late Medieval
        Balkans: a critical survey from the late 12th century to the Ottoman conquest" (1987).
        Sounds like you could use the later volume -- try an InterLibrary Loan request.

        I get lots of stuff on ILL... I vaguely remember a discussion of the Vlach migration into
        Dalmatia... but I think it was 14th century... I believe it was in "The Uskoks of Senj" which I
        mentioned in a post a few months ago. (I'm too lazy to go through the archives myself to
        find the original post.) And I just yesterday got an immense volume on Croatia in the early
        Middle Ages so as I dig through that I'll let you know if I find anything relevant to your
        search.

        But good luck finding anything on dress and customs! The historians can tell us about the
        migrations of various peoples - but they never seem to think of telling us what those
        people were wearing, and eating, and singing, etc.

        More later!
        Susanna

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Karen Donaldson-Webb" <kl_donaldson@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I am glad to find this group and have enjoyed going through the
        > files and photos.
        > I am researching 12th & 13th c. Dalmatia. Our local library is not
        > well stocked and other than a few costume collection type books I
        > haven't found anything useful.
        > At this point I am particularly interested in the shepherd people
        > Vlach, or Morlach. Can anyone suggest online resources or additional
        > keywords I should use? I'm tired of dodging pictures of spotted dogs
        > 8-) I would like, of course to find information of dress and customs
        > as well as information about where they were settled in the 12-13th
        > centuries.
        > Suggestions please, Thank you Karen DW

      • Karen Donaldson-Webb
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
          Thank you for the suggestions. I am not able to access
          the 'wapedia.mobi' files. I'm not sure what the format is. The Leeds
          site looks interesting and they have a free trial so I will delve into
          that. I have picked up several Croation history books and there never
          seems to be more than a single line reference to rural ethnic groups.
          Karen

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Tubbs" <ivanova.doch@...> wrote:

          > You have probably already seen all of this, but I thought I would
          try to
          > help...
          >
          > Morlachs/Vlach Shepherds: http://wapedia.mobi/en/Morlachs
          > http://wapedia.mobi/en/Dalmatia#2.2.
          >
          > Institute for Medieval Studies:
          > http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/IndexTermPapers.jsp?
          IndexTermNumber=84&Term=Social%20History&year=2007
        • Karen Donaldson

            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
              Hello!
              I'm also new to this group, although I've been in the SCA for a few years.
              I'm kinda interested in an odd period, namely traders from Eastern Europe in Constantinople before the 4th Crusade.
              I'd especially like some help with naming, if possible, mostly I want to make sure my name is kosher, especially because naming practices are different in that part of the world and this being Atlantia, we're overrun with 14th c. French and Viking knowledge. So resource help, especially web-wise would be helpful. Thanks!
              Suzannne / Sofia

            • Patricia Hefner
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
                You might want to check out my research site at http://scholar76.tripod.com/castle2/

                Isabelle de Foix
                Kingdom of Meridies

                Support your friendly local autistics....I'm one of them

                I'm also new to this group, although I've been in the SCA for a few years.
                I'm kinda interested in an odd period, namely traders from Eastern Europe in Constantinople before the 4th Crusade.
                I'd especially like some help with naming, if possible, mostly I want to make sure my name is kosher, especially because naming practices are different in that part of the world and this being Atlantia, we're overrun with 14th c. French and Viking knowledge. So resource help, especially web-wise would be helpful. Thanks!
                Suzannne / Sofia

                http://www.yahoo com/r/hs

              • L.M. Kies
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
                  There were lots of different "Eastern Europeans" in Constantinople before the 4th Crusade - Bulgars, Romanians, Rus, etc. etc. The different Slavic peoples had different naming practices. And many "Eastern Europeans" are not even Slavic. You'll need to narrow down your focus a bit before you can get very far into the details of naming, etc.

                  Sofya

                  Yahoo! Groups Links