new member, questions

  • Karen Donaldson-Webb
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2007
      Hi, I am glad to find this group and have enjoyed going through the
      files and photos.
      I am researching 12th & 13th c. Dalmatia. Our local library is not
      well stocked and other than a few costume collection type books I
      haven't found anything useful.
      At this point I am particularly interested in the shepherd people
      Vlach, or Morlach. Can anyone suggest online resources or additional
      keywords I should use? I'm tired of dodging pictures of spotted dogs
      8-) I would like, of course to find information of dress and customs
      as well as information about where they were settled in the 12-13th
      centuries.
      Suggestions please, Thank you Karen DW
    • Amy Tubbs
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 30, 2007
        You have probably already seen all of this, but I thought I would try to
        help...

        The Vlach: http://www.angelfire.com/realm/vlachs/ (towards the bottom of
        the page)

        Vlachs - wikipedia:
        http://www.411sync.com/cgi-bin/portal?d=1&kw=Vlachs_people

        Morlachs/Vlach Shepherds: http://wapedia.mobi/en/Morlachs
        http://wapedia.mobi/en/Dalmatia#2.2.

        Institute for Medieval Studies:
        http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/IndexTermPapers.jsp?IndexTermNumber=84&Term=Social%20History&year=2007

        106-b: Native and Foreign Clergymen in the Late Medieval Dalmatian Communes:
        A Case of Zadar<http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/SessionDetails.jsp?SessionId=1788&year=2007&PaperId=5654#5654>
        http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/SessionDetails.jsp?SessionId=1788&year=2007&PaperId=5654#5654

        814-c: Space and the Formation of Public Opinion in Dalmatian Towns,
        13th-14th Centuries<http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/SessionDetails.jsp?SessionId=1990&year=2007&PaperId=6164#6164>
        http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/SessionDetails.jsp?SessionId=1990&year=2007&PaperId=6164#6164

        106-c: The Artists and their Clientele in the Late Medieval Dalmatian
        Commune of Rab<http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/SessionDetails.jsp?SessionId=1788&year=2007&PaperId=5655#5655>
        http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/SessionDetails.jsp?SessionId=1788&year=2007&PaperId=5655#5655

        Purdue seems to have some slides. I don't know if you live near there or
        near a library that has an inter-library loan policy:
        http://www.cla.purdue.edu/medieval-studies/Ohlgren/Handlist5.html

        Here's a wikipedia hit:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_cultural_and_historic_presence_in_Dalmatia

        Croatian National Tourist Board. A difficult read due to the layout:
        http://www.croatia.hr/English/Destinacije/Opcenito.aspx?idDestination=40&idProperty=55

        -- Vitasha

        On Nov 30, 2007 4:24 PM, Karen Donaldson-Webb <kl_donaldson@...>
        wrote:

        > Hi, I am glad to find this group and have enjoyed going through the
        > files and photos.
        > I am researching 12th & 13th c. Dalmatia. Our local library is not
        > well stocked and other than a few costume collection type books I
        > haven't found anything useful.
        > At this point I am particularly interested in the shepherd people
        > Vlach, or Morlach. Can anyone suggest online resources or additional
        > keywords I should use? I'm tired of dodging pictures of spotted dogs
        > 8-) I would like, of course to find information of dress and customs
        > as well as information about where they were settled in the 12-13th
        > centuries.
        > Suggestions please, Thank you Karen DW

      • Suzanne
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2007
          Welcome, Karen!
          I'm happy to see another "Dalmatian" on the list. I'm primarily looking at 15th-16th
          century but I always enjoy time traveling. :-) Whenever I start on a new journey, I use 2
          volumes by John V.A. Fine, Jr. as my guidebooks. These are available in paperback--I got
          mine from Borders a few years ago--and they are well-indexed, have glossaries and a
          select bibliography and so serve as quick reference tools: "The Early Medieval Balkans: a
          critical survey from the 6th to the late 12th century" (1983) and "The Late Medieval
          Balkans: a critical survey from the late 12th century to the Ottoman conquest" (1987).
          Sounds like you could use the later volume -- try an InterLibrary Loan request.

          I get lots of stuff on ILL... I vaguely remember a discussion of the Vlach migration into
          Dalmatia... but I think it was 14th century... I believe it was in "The Uskoks of Senj" which I
          mentioned in a post a few months ago. (I'm too lazy to go through the archives myself to
          find the original post.) And I just yesterday got an immense volume on Croatia in the early
          Middle Ages so as I dig through that I'll let you know if I find anything relevant to your
          search.

          But good luck finding anything on dress and customs! The historians can tell us about the
          migrations of various peoples - but they never seem to think of telling us what those
          people were wearing, and eating, and singing, etc.

          More later!
          Susanna

          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 3, 2007
            Thank you for the suggestions. I am not able to access
            the 'wapedia.mobi' files. I'm not sure what the format is. The Leeds
            site looks interesting and they have a free trial so I will delve into
            that. I have picked up several Croation history books and there never
            seems to be more than a single line reference to rural ethnic groups.
            Karen

            --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Amy Tubbs" <ivanova.doch@...> wrote:

            > You have probably already seen all of this, but I thought I would
            try to
            > help...
            >
            > Morlachs/Vlach Shepherds: http://wapedia.mobi/en/Morlachs
            > http://wapedia.mobi/en/Dalmatia#2.2.
            >
            > Institute for Medieval Studies:
            > http://imc.leeds.ac.uk/imcapp/IndexTermPapers.jsp?
            IndexTermNumber=84&Term=Social%20History&year=2007
          • Karen Donaldson

              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 4, 2007
                Hello!
                I'm also new to this group, although I've been in the SCA for a few years.
                I'm kinda interested in an odd period, namely traders from Eastern Europe in Constantinople before the 4th Crusade.
                I'd especially like some help with naming, if possible, mostly I want to make sure my name is kosher, especially because naming practices are different in that part of the world and this being Atlantia, we're overrun with 14th c. French and Viking knowledge. So resource help, especially web-wise would be helpful. Thanks!
                Suzannne / Sofia

              • Patricia Hefner
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
                  You might want to check out my research site at http://scholar76.tripod.com/castle2/

                  Isabelle de Foix
                  Kingdom of Meridies

                  Support your friendly local autistics....I'm one of them

                  I'm also new to this group, although I've been in the SCA for a few years.
                  I'm kinda interested in an odd period, namely traders from Eastern Europe in Constantinople before the 4th Crusade.
                  I'd especially like some help with naming, if possible, mostly I want to make sure my name is kosher, especially because naming practices are different in that part of the world and this being Atlantia, we're overrun with 14th c. French and Viking knowledge. So resource help, especially web-wise would be helpful. Thanks!
                  Suzannne / Sofia

                  http://www.yahoo com/r/hs

                • L.M. Kies
                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 5, 2007
                    There were lots of different "Eastern Europeans" in Constantinople before the 4th Crusade - Bulgars, Romanians, Rus, etc. etc. The different Slavic peoples had different naming practices. And many "Eastern Europeans" are not even Slavic. You'll need to narrow down your focus a bit before you can get very far into the details of naming, etc.

                    Sofya

                    Yahoo! Groups Links