Re: [sig] possibly politically incorrect

  • Paul W Goldschmidt
    Message 1 of 30 , Nov 26, 2007
      Wow! "Taras Bulba" in a modern adaptation. Not quite "300" or
      "Beowulf", but very very cool....

    • LiudmilaV@aol.com
      Message 2 of 30 , Nov 26, 2007
        As a child made to read that book, I hated it with a passion. Oh well, he was a good if misguided writer, and there is a reason I left Ukraine...

        Liudmila,
        mundanely an Ashkenazi Jew

        Message 3 of 30 , Nov 26, 2007
          Does anyone know if there are English subtitles?

          Rick Orli <orlirva@...> wrote:
          Gogol's Taras Bulba, Trailer.
          > > http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=GZHA9tHvzCk

        • Rick Orli
          Message 4 of 30 , Nov 26, 2007
            Last week I gave a presentation to a 4th Grade class on Capt' John
            Smith (of Pochohantas fame) & the Ottomans, and also about the Polish
            and Swiss and Dutchmen or German craftsmen in early Jamestown and
            their industry. Had costumes for the kids and a bit of a skit going,
            great fun. A little girl actually asked if my (1610 english) costume
            was Polish, and if not what would it have looked like (bless her).

            Anyway, several kids volunteered that what they really were interested
            in were the Spartans and Persians. OK, 300 is an R movie, but I
            figured thats where they got that from so this weekend -to keep
            culturally in tune with my audience - I rented the DVD.

            300 was quite a trip, but I have to say I was taken aback by the
            imagery of the Persians and easterners.. a bunch of dark evil
            towelheads, in a cartooney evil way. I'm not much into political
            correctness (speaking of) but as an eastern european and now ottoman
            reenactor I rather try to work against that unhelpful stereotype.

            Then there were the immortal ninjas. Yeah, I know, it was a graphic
            novel.
            -Rick

            Message 5 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
              Whew! PC in history....the ultimate slippery slope!

              Most of actual history, absent the political whitewash
              of the victors is politically incorrect because people
              are by nature. Politically correct is to history what
              religion is to science, a belief not based on fact but
              on personal slant. Its a spin and thats why we dig for
              the historical fact, to get beneath the spin of the
              victors!

              I actually liked Taras Bulba, but I saw it as a
              snapshot of that time and place and mindset, and thats
              of interest to me as a historian. It might give me the
              willies as a person but thats immaterial to seeing
              history as arecord of conflicting viewpoints. I
              thought that he addressed the issues of Jews, "The
              Darks" and and ethnic Russians quite well.

              Why do I have an interest? 10 years ago I had spent a
              couple years as the US citizenship test toner for 40
              or so elderly "Russians" from Kiev, through a
              co-worker's synogogue. Usual story, kids came, then
              they brought their families, and finally their parents
              came over. I was the one that pried the recalcitrant
              ones out of their apartments and drilled them
              mercilessly every Tuesday night to actually pass both
              parts of the US citizenship test. All but two did
              eventually, but they escaped me to the hereafter and
              no longer had to pass any test.

              Without exception, they were the ones in their
              families who had fled East when the Nazis came, some
              hearing tanks and german language as they did. The
              ones who stayed disappeared, probably in Baba Yar.
              Some where even told that from nieghbors they found
              after the war.

              Even though most of my students had been wounded in
              the war and the "younger" ones had worked 16-18 hour
              days in the factories east of the Urals as kids, all
              were quite optimistic, and they were all realists
              without exception or apology. Not that they opened up
              very quickly but when they did they reminded me of
              Americans in a strange way. Tough, humorous, wry,
              optimistic and kind but with a sadder, harsher
              history. Mostly, I liked how they could be strong yet
              kind, optimistic yet blunt realists. They had real
              reasons to be bitter, pessimistic, negative but they
              had left it behind in Russia. Thier words.

              The point is this. History is a record, hopefully
              factual but mostly sanitized and whitewashed. The
              history is there if you dig hard enough and accept the
              facts as they prove themselves true, absent your
              personal slant. Thats what my students taught me, who
              scoffed openly at the very idea of PC as completely
              unrealistic. You decide. Its all history, after all.
              'dok

              Best Regards,
              'dok
              "Some people have sacred cows and they make very tasty steaks"

              Make Yahoo! your homepage.
              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Patricia Hefner
              Message 6 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                Yeah, history is politically incorrect. It's full of atrocities and depressing stuff. My degree is in history.

                Isabelle de Foix
                Kingdom of Meridies

                Support your friendly local autistics....I'm one of them

                Message 7 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                  Mordak,

                  At the risk of veering us slightly off-topic, I think you are
                  overstating your argument when you say at the beginning of your
                  (otherwise excellent) essay:

                  "Most of actual history, absent the political whitewash
                  of the victors is politically incorrect because people
                  are by nature. Politically correct is to history what
                  religion is to science, a belief not based on fact but
                  on personal slant. Its a spin and thats why we dig for
                  the historical fact, to get beneath the spin of the
                  victors!"

                  You are misunderstanding the purpose behind the PC-movement. It's
                  not to deny that atrocities happened, but to focus on how we treat
                  them in the future. No one but a fool would deny that anti-semitism
                  existed in period and I don't think there is a problem with depicting
                  that it happened. Glorifying it or saying it was a good thing would
                  be problematic. The idea of "PC" is that we focus on presenting the
                  past factually but also stating that we would not approve of the same
                  things in the present or the future.

                  The "belief" (such as it is) is that social justice for the future is
                  a factor of acknowledging the injustice of the past. That it is spin
                  is conscious (a lot more conscious that allegedly "objective"
                  historians) but driven by noble intentions.

                  It's not really a "religion" and your comparison is not valid as
                  science and history have little in common.

                  All of that said, I agree that Taras Bulba has tremendous historical
                  significance and (as long as the film does not glorify anti-semetism)
                  it will be a useful addition.

                  -- Paul

                  At 08:02 AM 11/27/2007, you wrote:

                  >Whew! PC in history....the ultimate slippery slope!
                  >
                  >Most of actual history, absent the political whitewash
                  >of the victors is politically incorrect because people
                  >are by nature. Politically correct is to history what
                  >religion is to science, a belief not based on fact but
                  >on personal slant. Its a spin and thats why we dig for
                  >the historical fact, to get beneath the spin of the
                  >victors!
                • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                  Message 8 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                    One thing to remember about the Persians in the Movie 300, is that the film
                    crew made them look that weird to make them shocking to modern eyes. Because
                    the real Persians were just as shocking to the Greek Spartans, because -
                    THEY WORE PANTS!!!!!!

                    ;)

                    --
                    Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                    "Most people live their lives as if they had another one in the bank" - Ben

                    Message 9 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                      I agree with both of you. Where I differ,
                      respectfully, in viewpoint is that my focus is more
                      immediate in nature. If the naked hairless monkey is
                      known and accepted as fact then it looses its power an
                      elephant in the room and the conversation can get much
                      better. And it needs to.

                      The comparison was religion with science as a simile
                      to that of PC with history, and then limited to
                      specific examples of passionately held belief vs.
                      verifiable or empiracal fact. Thats a quite a common
                      tool employed among historians because the paradigm
                      makes students actually think deeper than the dogma
                      they've been taught, but in an analytical, critical
                      and cultural fashion to defend them! I hear that in
                      Poly Sci they use patriotism in place of PC.

                      In a strange way, the darker parts of history spawned
                      the lighter parts that followed in reaction
                      afterwards. Thats the true secret taught us by
                      history. In a theorhetical sense, think of the
                      benefits we get from Greece democracy theory, Roman
                      rationalism and order, Francis Bacon and Arab
                      scholarship, the Enlightenment, public facilities and
                      security, the world as a close community....all were
                      reactions to dark periods, often in conjunction with
                      the rise of the next dark period. History has some
                      strange pathwways but thats the strength too. Steps
                      after stumbles. Lessons learned from failures.

                      One could even say that the SCA and our efforts in SIG
                      is also a light period in reaction to a dark one?
                      'dok

                      Best Regards,
                      'dok
                      "Some people have sacred cows and they make very tasty steaks"

                    • Leonid Akulov
                      Message 10 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Tim Nalley <mordakus@...> wrote:

                        > In a strange way, the darker parts of history spawned
                        > the lighter parts that followed in reaction
                        > afterwards. Thats the true secret taught us by
                        > history.

                        "Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they
                        had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced
                        Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland
                        they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace,
                        and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock." Harry Lime, The Third
                        Man

                        And I think your comparison of PC to religion really nails it.

                        P.S. Although you probably mean the real life version of PC, the way
                        it works in reality, now, in the US of A. The way it was intended to
                        work is probably as different from what we see as GULAG was from the
                        utopias described in Soviet literature of that time. Just another
                        thing that "musta be working but she ain't". Leave it to the real
                        world to maim and mangle every perfect theoretical concept thrown
                        into it... :)
                      • Paul W Goldschmidt
                        Message 11 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                          Hi Mordak,

                          I'm not really following your first paragraph. Could I get you to restate it?

                          >I agree with both of you. Where I differ,
                          >respectfully, in viewpoint is that my focus is more
                          >immediate in nature. If the naked hairless monkey is
                          >known and accepted as fact then it looses its power an
                          >elephant in the room and the conversation can get much
                          >better. And it needs to.
                          >
                          >The comparison was religion with science as a simile
                          >to that of PC with history, and then limited to
                          >specific examples of passionately held belief vs.
                          >verifiable or empiracal fact. Thats a quite a common
                          >tool employed among historians because the paradigm
                          >makes students actually think deeper than the dogma
                          >they've been taught, but in an analytical, critical
                          >and cultural fashion to defend them! I hear that in
                          >Poly Sci they use patriotism in place of PC.

                          First of all, no professional historian would speak in terms of
                          "verifiability" or "empirical fact" -- those are terms used by
                          amateurs. A historian who spoke that way would be laughed out of the
                          Tower and rejected as a throw back to 19th century
                          historiography. So, I'm going to reject your hyperbole about "common
                          tool" because I think you misunderstand the difference between what
                          goes on in Intro to World Civ classes and what historians do.

                          What a historian should be teaching is that "facts" are often a
                          result of dogma and thus are inherently suspect. But rather than
                          become nihilists, what we should do is approach everything "factual"
                          with skepticism, trying to understand the motivations and movements
                          that underlie the dates and names.

                          I think that you and I are in agreement about the basic premise, but
                          I'm not happy with the way you are oversimplifying what historians
                          do. The only parallel between science and history is that the
                          researcher must acknowledge bias and approach with the soul of a
                          skeptic to be good at what they do. But the hard sciences and the
                          "soft" sciences (history, poli sci, sociology, and probably economics
                          and psychology as well [although that is a heated debate]) share very
                          little else in common. No physicist would employ narrative
                          techniques or psychotherapy to analyze the splitting of an atom. In
                          history, there are no precise tools, no measures, and relatively
                          little that we can be certain of. The only key is what the oracle at
                          Delphi said ("Know Yourself").

                          I have no idea what "I hear that in Poly [sic] Sci they use
                          patriotism in place of PC" means, but it's throwaway rhetoric a
                          mildly inflammatory to anyone who has seriously studied politics and
                          government.

                          The darkness vs light discussion is interesting but reminds me a bit
                          much of Babylon 5 (which I'm in the process of
                          re-watching). Education as a whole is about seeking enlightenment,
                          exploring and discussing ideas (even concepts like "political
                          correctness"), and distilling and analyzing them for elements of
                          utility. I believe that is what you were saying, but I don't believe
                          that it comes in waves. I think it is a continual process.

                          Thank you,
                          Paul
                        • L.M. Kies
                          Message 12 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                            >The only parallel between science and history is that the
                            >researcher must acknowledge bias and approach with the soul of a
                            >skeptic to be good at what they do. But the hard sciences and the
                            >"soft" sciences (history, poli sci, sociology, and probably economics
                            >and psychology as well [although that is a heated debate]) share very
                            >little else in common. No physicist would employ narrative
                            >techniques or psychotherapy to analyze the splitting of an atom. In
                            >history, there are no precise tools, no measures, and relatively
                            >little that we can be certain of.

                            There is a lot of uncertainty even in the hard sciences. What makes the "hard" sciences more objective (relatively speaking) is that scientific problems are more easily reduced to small, controllable, repeatedly-testible pieces. But those manageable pieces sometimes leave you with the "blind men and the elephant problem" (the guy at the tail says it's a rope, the guy at the leg says it's a tree trunk, the guy at the ear calls it a giant leaf, etc.)

                            All experiments are vulnerable to various biases and errors. Any high school or college chemistry student who's had to calculate "experimental error" has been faced with how easy it is to mess up an experiment even when you know exactly what the outcome should be (25g of X plus 20 g of Y should produce exactly 27g of Z), much less when you're truly trying to make new discoveries.

                            The interpretation of results is even more difficult. One of the last sections in a scientific paper is the "Discussion" of why the results turned out the way they did, and what experiments are planned to prove it. This "Discussion" generates most of the comments and criticisms of a paper.

                            And then there's the problem of application. Just because a drug is shown to help middle-class white males decrease their cholesterol, doesn't mean it will decrease their risk of heart attack, nor does it therefore mean they will live longer/healthier (which is the real goal). Nor if it will work for women, or obese adolescents, or Asians.

                            We'd like to think that the "hard" sciences are objective, but most of them aren't really - a sobering thought for those of us who dabble in any field of research, modern or medieval.

                            At your service,

                            Sofya

                            Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
                            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
                            Message 13 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                              OK. This discussion jumped the shark but I'll play one
                              more round if our hostage audience isn't too bored by
                              our pontification! If so, everyone please accept my
                              apology for being an argumentative idiot. But I do
                              love debate....what, you haven't deled already? Just
                              joking.

                              Interesting viewpoint, and you have some very good
                              ideas there. I am troubled by your lack of paradigms
                              though. I have heard quite a few professional
                              historians argue along these same lines but that is
                              immaterial.

                              We both seem to be skeptics of one ilk or another but
                              as for being laughed out of the Tower, you would be
                              surprised. I was. History is the science of cynicism
                              and skepticism made practice. No sacred cows. No
                              unassailable towers. No theories free of modification.
                              Thats what attracted me to a useless degree and then
                              the law afterwards. The rules are the same in both.
                              Pure rational reason, leavened with the reality that
                              all the source material is biased to one degree or
                              another. Free rein, or reign, depending on tenure or
                              partnership.

                              Its when you try to dogmatize and codify one of those
                              theories that you get the invisible elephant in the
                              room paradigm. Everyone sees the glaring
                              inconsistencies but no one will talk about it in an
                              effort not to be attacked by a believer. My paradigm
                              about the hairless monkey is elliterary to the reality
                              that most human beings, now and in the past, operate
                              on a daily basis in favor of thier own interests and
                              biases. Their accounts are the literary documents
                              historian utilize to "prove" their own theory de jure
                              or "dis-prove" those of their rivals.

                              As long as you pretend that this situation doesn't
                              exist, you have to do increasingly erratic and extreme
                              convulutions to prop up your theories / dogma /
                              codified speculation. Those convolutions are the
                              invisible elephant in the room. Avoidance gives it
                              power to control your actions. Acceptance takes that
                              power away. Hence the seperation of church and state
                              codified in the US Constitution to eliminate stae
                              sponsored religion.

                              But the differences between the sciences are
                              speculation at the very best, usually based upon which
                              pays your particular bills. A physicist actually told
                              me that, but he specialized in quantum particulate
                              blablah theory, but as he freely stated all
                              physicists are crazy at their core. These other
                              sciences, the soft sciences, are all elephants in the
                              room. They all have a mixed bag of effects and are
                              biased towards who pays the bills. Call that pay
                              tenure, grants, gifts, donations, patrons, clients,
                              patients, etc. each has an effect on the science in
                              question, usually through each independent
                              practitioner. You know that. I know that too.

                              As any 100 level philosophy student can tell you
                              "there are no absolutes". So facts are thoeries
                              awaiting new information to be either updated or
                              modified or scrapped. Thats a sophism my friend!

                              So, in my SCA classes I tell folks up front that these
                              are my current theories until more information
                              modifies them. I learned that practice in my own
                              collegiate classes, along with the belief that all
                              historical accounts are inherently biased by self
                              interest. Your only hope of some hint of rationality
                              is to look for commonalities to define the baseline,
                              if there is one. The rest is spin, usually for favor
                              or CYA. Pretty much the same in life.

                              As for the PC / religion comment, both are based on
                              strongly held beliefs. Both are individual but highly
                              motivating. Both can make a believer do things
                              dangerous or purposely deadly for theory and dogma.
                              Both can be easily manipulated for ends entirely
                              personal, and are every day. What will make a guy fly
                              a plane into a building, or a ship, or the ground?
                              Drugs don't. Love doesn't. Fanatacism does. I actually
                              learned that in some poly sci classes I took on a lark
                              long before it was updated on 9/11.

                              You're a lovely optimistic man, Paul, but the world
                              isn't and history is the record of that. Do you
                              remember the interpretation paradigm? When nothing is
                              proven most theories are equally valid if they
                              originate in an actual event? Or as a professor once
                              told me, "History is the record of actions. Poly Sci
                              is about making one version of those records". Thats a
                              theory though!

                              The right of final rebuttal is yours as the
                              "challenged" party. Then I concede the point in any
                              case and hope for a return to our regularly scheduled
                              programming? And less boredom for everyone else? I
                              love to agree to disagree at this level of
                              entertainment, my friend.

                              Message 14 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                                Much more eloquent and to the point than I'm capable
                                of! Bravo!

                                Message 15 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                                  Only this:

                                  You're a loon, but I like that about you. We can settle this over
                                  drinks at my hotel after SLUM.

                                  -- Paul

                                  Message 16 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                                    Its a "date" then and anyone who has ever read my
                                    ramblings already knows I'm a loon! Which hotel is
                                    that? I still need to reserve.
                                    The Loon (gak! gak!)

                                    --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

                                    > Only this:
                                    >
                                    > You're a loon, but I like that about you. We can
                                    > settle this over
                                    > drinks at my hotel after SLUM.
                                    >
                                    > -- Paul
                                    >

                                    > At 01:51 PM 11/27/2007, you wrote:
                                    > >The right of final rebuttal is yours as the
                                    > >"challenged" party. Then I concede the point in any
                                    > >case and hope for a return to our regularly
                                    > scheduled
                                    > >programming? And less boredom for everyone else? I
                                    > >love to agree to disagree at this level of
                                    > >entertainment, my friend.
                                    > >
                                    > >Best Regards,
                                    > >'dok
                                    > >"Some people have sacred cows and they make very
                                    > tasty steaks"

                                    Best Regards,
                                    'dok
                                    "Some people have sacred cows and they make very tasty steaks"

                                    Be a better pen pal.
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                                      Yeah, I'm that procrastinator....so where is everyone
                                      staying?
                                      Is there a favored dwelling?
                                      Lets take a poll...

                                      Message 18 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                                        I'm flying in/out, so I decided to stay at the airport at the
                                        SpringHills Suites GRR. Probably not the choice of anyone driving as
                                        I'm about 30 miles from the site.

                                        Paul

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                                          WAAA!~ I can't go.....

                                          --wallowing in sorrow,
                                          --Sfandra

                                          --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

                                          > I'm flying in/out, so I decided to stay at the
                                          > airport at the
                                          > SpringHills Suites GRR. Probably not the choice of
                                          > anyone driving as
                                          > I'm about 30 miles from the site.
                                          >
                                          > Paul
                                          >
                                          > At 02:58 PM 11/27/2007, you wrote:
                                          >
                                          > >Yeah, I'm that procrastinator....so where is
                                          > everyone
                                          > >staying?
                                          > >Is there a favored dwelling?
                                          > >Lets take a poll...
                                          > >
                                          > >Best Regards,
                                          > >'dok
                                          > >"Some people have sacred cows and they make very
                                          > tasty steaks"

                                          > >Be a better pen pal.
                                          > >Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See
                                          > how.
                                          >
                                          ><http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/>http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

                                          > removed]
                                          >

                                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                          ******************
                                          Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva Chernigova
                                          Haus Von Drakenklaue
                                          Kingdom of the East
                                          ******************
                                          Never 'pearl' your butt.

                                        • Shannon Anderson
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                                            I would like to cordially invite all my dear SIG-SLUMers
                                            to a Post-Revel after the event on December 8th,
                                            at the Amerihost Inn (Ionia, MI).
                                            Please come to Room 201 for zakuski, drinks, and frivoloty!

                                            Any questions or suggestions can be directed to me!

                                            Margarita

                                            kitonlove@...
                                            646.620.6992

                                          • L.M. Kies
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                                              I'll be at the Ionia AmeriHost.

                                              >Yeah, I'm that procrastinator....so where is everyone
                                              staying?
                                              Is there a favored dwelling?
                                              Lets take a poll...

                                              Best Regards,
                                              'dok
                                              "Some people have sacred cows and they make very tasty steaks"

                                            • Amy Tubbs
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Nov 27, 2007
                                                /wallowing with Sfandra

                                                Message 23 of 30 , Nov 28, 2007
                                                  Xan and I accept! She's manning the sewing machine
                                                  this weekend and I'm doing the handsewing and dec
                                                  work. Apparently my cussing is quite sulphurous when I
                                                  machine sew, but I'm pleasant when slinging a
                                                  needle....who wudda thunk it?

                                                  Behold my manly virtues!!!!!;)

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Nov 28, 2007
                                                    Dude, when are your flight times? Xan and I are
                                                    driving up Friday night after work. Maybe we could do
                                                    the taxi thing so you could stay at the Amerihost in
                                                    Iona?
                                                    'dok

                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Nov 28, 2007
                                                      http://www.levantia.com.au/

                                                      I posted this link for cultural cross polination
                                                      consideration?

                                                      I'm on a SCA Byzantine discussion group also and
                                                      someone posed this site. I was interested because
                                                      Byzantiun m had such a longand apparent effect on the
                                                      Rus and the Viking world before them.

                                                      On yet another discussion site I'm on there was a
                                                      quiry recently about viking puffy pants.

                                                    • Patoodle@aol.com
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Nov 28, 2007
                                                        *joins in the crying*

                                                        But I look forward to the CD of the proceedings!

                                                        --Patricia of Trakai

                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Nov 28, 2007
                                                          Whatever the PC movement's purpose is, the result is to recast
                                                          history to serve a modern political end. Not that that is unusual -
                                                          that is what most history as written down was, is, and will be, as
                                                          was argued above. But American PC folks like to be proud of it.

                                                          The "PC issues" I have with Taras Bulba are mostly the PC-for-its-
                                                          time potrayal of the Cossacks as sort of a tribe of Souix indians,
                                                          who had lived as they do since the begining of time in peace and
                                                          freedom until the foreigners invaded (taxcollectors, jews and all);
                                                          an inventive image, and one powerful enough to have been believed
                                                          fairly widely as historically accurate.

                                                          Ironically, you could restage it among the actual Souix and USA in
                                                          the 1900s, or among the Chucksee and the Muscovites in the 1500s, and
                                                          you would get a more accurate historical picture with the storyline
                                                          essentially intact.

                                                          > You are misunderstanding the purpose behind the PC-movement.
                                                          ... anti-sem...
                                                        • Rick Orli
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Nov 28, 2007
                                                            Excellect suggestion. I have been toying with doing some early Rus &
                                                            Byzantine work myself.
                                                            -Rick

                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Nov 28, 2007
                                                              From my Rus point of view, the garb looks rather foreign - which makes sense since it's Romanian/Byzantine. But there are lots of good ideas/details and its very interesting to see his description of the evolution of fashions. He almost makes it sound like Byzantine fashions had more influence on Western Europe than they did on Russia. ;-)