Re: [sig] Name Question

  • Paul W Goldschmidt
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
      I'd say it depends on what you think the given name is. If you're
      registering Mavra as the given name, then Emiliana would be a fine
      patronymic, literally "Emilian's Mavra." But I'm not quite buying
      Emiliana as a given name with Mavra as the patronymic. They're both
      weirdnesses.

      Thanks,
      Paul Wickenden

      At 04:10 PM 11/5/2007, you wrote:

      >I am going to take a stab at this and say I don't
      >think this quite fits. The Emiliana works fine. The
      >problem seems to be with the 'Mavra'. Mavra as is
      >listed as a feminine variant in the dictionary would
      >be as a given name. I think that what you would be
      >going for here would be more along the lines of
      >Emiliana Mavrova would work as an early period
      >version. Slightly later would be Emliana Marvovicha.
      >Paul also seems to suggest that something along the
      >lines of Emiliana Mavrova doch' would also be
      >appropriate. That is just what I get from my reading
      >though. If I'm wrong, someone can correct me.
      >
      >Iustin
      >
      >--- noli_desiste
      ><<mailto:emmiewilliams%40gmail.com>emmiewilliams@...> wrote:
      >
      > > So I had an entire day of nothing to do while
      > > trapped at the house
      > > waiting for the gas company to hook up my gas so I
      > > can have heat...
      > > (joy.) So I started researching a name. After
      > > looking at the very
      > > little early information for women and just trying
      > > my darndest...
      > > this is what I came up with... I have decided I was
      > > born in Kiev
      > > around 940. I found a masculine form of a name I
      > > really liked and
      > > added an "a" for the feminine form. I found alot
      > > examples of that
      > > that went back to the 2d-3d centuries. I tried to
      > > pick a traditional
      > > name and make a simple patronymic (dad was born w/
      > > dark hair and
      > > named Mavr.) Is this possibly passable? :

    • Amy Tubbs
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
        Here is the link to Paul's webpage that tells how to make a
        Patronymic: http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/zgrammar.html

        I would recommend using "Mavrova" or "Mavrova doch' ".

        A little trick I did when looking for female first names is to use the
        search feature on the webpage and enter (f) which is what Paul uses to
        denote female names. That way I could scroll through the plethora of
        male names to find the few female names.