Re: [sig] Name Question

  • Iustin Branov
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
      I am going to take a stab at this and say I don't
      think this quite fits. The Emiliana works fine. The
      problem seems to be with the 'Mavra'. Mavra as is
      listed as a feminine variant in the dictionary would
      be as a given name. I think that what you would be
      going for here would be more along the lines of
      Emiliana Mavrova would work as an early period
      version. Slightly later would be Emliana Marvovicha.
      Paul also seems to suggest that something along the
      lines of Emiliana Mavrova doch' would also be
      appropriate. That is just what I get from my reading
      though. If I'm wrong, someone can correct me.

      Iustin

      --- noli_desiste <emmiewilliams@...> wrote:

      > So I had an entire day of nothing to do while
      > trapped at the house
      > waiting for the gas company to hook up my gas so I
      > can have heat...
      > (joy.) So I started researching a name. After
      > looking at the very
      > little early information for women and just trying
      > my darndest...
      > this is what I came up with... I have decided I was
      > born in Kiev
      > around 940. I found a masculine form of a name I
      > really liked and
      > added an "a" for the feminine form. I found alot
      > examples of that
      > that went back to the 2d-3d centuries. I tried to
      > pick a traditional
      > name and make a simple patronymic (dad was born w/
      > dark hair and
      > named Mavr.) Is this possibly passable? :
      >
      > Emiliana Mavra
      >
      > • Emelian (m) -- "flattering."
      >  Emelian. Lived in the 9th century. [Buk 18]
      >

      > • Mavr (m) -- "dark."
      >  Mavr, martyr. 3rd Century. [Buk 158]
      > o Dims: Mavreshko. 1253. [Mor 117]
      > o Pat Vars: Maurin (Iev Maurin). 1611-2. [RIB II
      > 264]
      > • Mavra (f) -- "dark." Fem of Mavr.
      >  Mavra, martyr. 13-14th Centuries. [Lev 41]
      > o Dims: Mavritsa (Mavritsa Vasil'eva doch').
      > 1634-42. [RIB II
      > 734]
      >

      > Thank you!
      >
      > Emmie

      K Tvoim Uslugam,
      Iustin

      Pomestnik Iustin Branov, among the Greeks Kyrios Iustinos o Roussos
      mka Justin Griffing
      Apprentice to Mistress Mirabel Belchere
      Pursuivant-at-Large
      Shire of Mt. Freehold, East Kingdom
      AIM: JMGriffingIM
      Yahoo!: IGriffing
      ICQ: 405166689

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Paul W Goldschmidt
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
        I'd say it depends on what you think the given name is. If you're
        registering Mavra as the given name, then Emiliana would be a fine
        patronymic, literally "Emilian's Mavra." But I'm not quite buying
        Emiliana as a given name with Mavra as the patronymic. They're both
        weirdnesses.

        Thanks,
        Paul Wickenden

        At 04:10 PM 11/5/2007, you wrote:

        >I am going to take a stab at this and say I don't
        >think this quite fits. The Emiliana works fine. The
        >problem seems to be with the 'Mavra'. Mavra as is
        >listed as a feminine variant in the dictionary would
        >be as a given name. I think that what you would be
        >going for here would be more along the lines of
        >Emiliana Mavrova would work as an early period
        >version. Slightly later would be Emliana Marvovicha.
        >Paul also seems to suggest that something along the
        >lines of Emiliana Mavrova doch' would also be
        >appropriate. That is just what I get from my reading
        >though. If I'm wrong, someone can correct me.
        >
        >Iustin
        >
        >--- noli_desiste
        ><<mailto:emmiewilliams%40gmail.com>emmiewilliams@...> wrote:
        >
        > > So I had an entire day of nothing to do while
        > > trapped at the house
        > > waiting for the gas company to hook up my gas so I
        > > can have heat...
        > > (joy.) So I started researching a name. After
        > > looking at the very
        > > little early information for women and just trying
        > > my darndest...
        > > this is what I came up with... I have decided I was
        > > born in Kiev
        > > around 940. I found a masculine form of a name I
        > > really liked and
        > > added an "a" for the feminine form. I found alot
        > > examples of that
        > > that went back to the 2d-3d centuries. I tried to
        > > pick a traditional
        > > name and make a simple patronymic (dad was born w/
        > > dark hair and
        > > named Mavr.) Is this possibly passable? :

      • Amy Tubbs
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
          Here is the link to Paul's webpage that tells how to make a
          Patronymic: http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/zgrammar.html

          I would recommend using "Mavrova" or "Mavrova doch' ".

          A little trick I did when looking for female first names is to use the
          search feature on the webpage and enter (f) which is what Paul uses to
          denote female names. That way I could scroll through the plethora of
          male names to find the few female names.