Name Question

  • noli_desiste
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
      So I had an entire day of nothing to do while trapped at the house
      waiting for the gas company to hook up my gas so I can have heat...
      (joy.) So I started researching a name. After looking at the very
      little early information for women and just trying my darndest...
      this is what I came up with... I have decided I was born in Kiev
      around 940. I found a masculine form of a name I really liked and
      added an "a" for the feminine form. I found alot examples of that
      that went back to the 2d-3d centuries. I tried to pick a traditional
      name and make a simple patronymic (dad was born w/ dark hair and
      named Mavr.) Is this possibly passable? :

      Emiliana Mavra

      • Emelian (m) -- "flattering."
       Emelian. Lived in the 9th century. [Buk 18]

      • Mavr (m) -- "dark."
       Mavr, martyr. 3rd Century. [Buk 158]
      o Dims: Mavreshko. 1253. [Mor 117]
      o Pat Vars: Maurin (Iev Maurin). 1611-2. [RIB II 264]
      • Mavra (f) -- "dark." Fem of Mavr.
       Mavra, martyr. 13-14th Centuries. [Lev 41]
      o Dims: Mavritsa (Mavritsa Vasil'eva doch'). 1634-42. [RIB II
      734]

      Thank you!

      Emmie
    • Iustin Branov
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
        I am going to take a stab at this and say I don't
        think this quite fits. The Emiliana works fine. The
        problem seems to be with the 'Mavra'. Mavra as is
        listed as a feminine variant in the dictionary would
        be as a given name. I think that what you would be
        going for here would be more along the lines of
        Emiliana Mavrova would work as an early period
        version. Slightly later would be Emliana Marvovicha.
        Paul also seems to suggest that something along the
        lines of Emiliana Mavrova doch' would also be
        appropriate. That is just what I get from my reading
        though. If I'm wrong, someone can correct me.

        Iustin

        --- noli_desiste <emmiewilliams@...> wrote:

        > So I had an entire day of nothing to do while
        > trapped at the house
        > waiting for the gas company to hook up my gas so I
        > can have heat...
        > (joy.) So I started researching a name. After
        > looking at the very
        > little early information for women and just trying
        > my darndest...
        > this is what I came up with... I have decided I was
        > born in Kiev
        > around 940. I found a masculine form of a name I
        > really liked and
        > added an "a" for the feminine form. I found alot
        > examples of that
        > that went back to the 2d-3d centuries. I tried to
        > pick a traditional
        > name and make a simple patronymic (dad was born w/
        > dark hair and
        > named Mavr.) Is this possibly passable? :
        >
        > Emiliana Mavra
        >
        > • Emelian (m) -- "flattering."
        >  Emelian. Lived in the 9th century. [Buk 18]
        >

        > • Mavr (m) -- "dark."
        >  Mavr, martyr. 3rd Century. [Buk 158]
        > o Dims: Mavreshko. 1253. [Mor 117]
        > o Pat Vars: Maurin (Iev Maurin). 1611-2. [RIB II
        > 264]
        > • Mavra (f) -- "dark." Fem of Mavr.
        >  Mavra, martyr. 13-14th Centuries. [Lev 41]
        > o Dims: Mavritsa (Mavritsa Vasil'eva doch').
        > 1634-42. [RIB II
        > 734]
        >

        > Thank you!
        >
        > Emmie

        K Tvoim Uslugam,
        Iustin

        Pomestnik Iustin Branov, among the Greeks Kyrios Iustinos o Roussos
        mka Justin Griffing
        Apprentice to Mistress Mirabel Belchere
        Pursuivant-at-Large
        Shire of Mt. Freehold, East Kingdom
        AIM: JMGriffingIM
        Yahoo!: IGriffing
        ICQ: 405166689

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Paul W Goldschmidt
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
          I'd say it depends on what you think the given name is. If you're
          registering Mavra as the given name, then Emiliana would be a fine
          patronymic, literally "Emilian's Mavra." But I'm not quite buying
          Emiliana as a given name with Mavra as the patronymic. They're both
          weirdnesses.

          Thanks,
          Paul Wickenden

          At 04:10 PM 11/5/2007, you wrote:

          >I am going to take a stab at this and say I don't
          >think this quite fits. The Emiliana works fine. The
          >problem seems to be with the 'Mavra'. Mavra as is
          >listed as a feminine variant in the dictionary would
          >be as a given name. I think that what you would be
          >going for here would be more along the lines of
          >Emiliana Mavrova would work as an early period
          >version. Slightly later would be Emliana Marvovicha.
          >Paul also seems to suggest that something along the
          >lines of Emiliana Mavrova doch' would also be
          >appropriate. That is just what I get from my reading
          >though. If I'm wrong, someone can correct me.
          >
          >Iustin
          >
          >--- noli_desiste
          ><<mailto:emmiewilliams%40gmail.com>emmiewilliams@...> wrote:
          >
          > > So I had an entire day of nothing to do while
          > > trapped at the house
          > > waiting for the gas company to hook up my gas so I
          > > can have heat...
          > > (joy.) So I started researching a name. After
          > > looking at the very
          > > little early information for women and just trying
          > > my darndest...
          > > this is what I came up with... I have decided I was
          > > born in Kiev
          > > around 940. I found a masculine form of a name I
          > > really liked and
          > > added an "a" for the feminine form. I found alot
          > > examples of that
          > > that went back to the 2d-3d centuries. I tried to
          > > pick a traditional
          > > name and make a simple patronymic (dad was born w/
          > > dark hair and
          > > named Mavr.) Is this possibly passable? :

        • Amy Tubbs
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2007
            Here is the link to Paul's webpage that tells how to make a
            Patronymic: http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/zgrammar.html

            I would recommend using "Mavrova" or "Mavrova doch' ".

            A little trick I did when looking for female first names is to use the
            search feature on the webpage and enter (f) which is what Paul uses to
            denote female names. That way I could scroll through the plethora of
            male names to find the few female names.