Re: [sig] Yahoogroups question [was Re: Persona Development]

  • T Duran
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 5, 2007
      On 11/5/07, Suzanne <sovagris@...> wrote:

      > What country are you in mundanely? For my Yahoo account in the U.S., all I had to give
      > them was my name and zip code... and I used my SCA name 'cause how are they gonna'
      > know, anyway?? ;-) And I didn't need to sign up for Yahoo e-mail -- I opted for sending
      > group messages to my regular e-mail account (where I have the spam filter set super high
      > and my real name does not display). It was pretty simple and I can choose to log in to
      > Yahoogroups when I want to look at the Photos section or whatever.

      I'm in New Zealand. When I go to the Yahoo registration page, it asks
      for First & Last name, Gender, Birth Date, and Zip Code, Country, plus
      a "security question". It also asks for an alternate email address,
      but that's apparently no longer mandatory.

      Yes, it's possible to lie about this stuff (although note that Yahoo
      logs your IP address) -- my complaint isn't with the information they
      ask for in the account registration -- it's with the information they
      collect via their cookies and web beacons.

      http://info.yahoo.com/privacy/us/yahoo/details.html

      http://antivirus.about.com/od/spywareandadware/a/yahoobugs.htm

      Basically, I don't want Yahoo following me around the web, noting
      which sites I visit, which links I click on, which groups I belong to,
      and which emails I read. They do give you an "opt-out" process, which
      only works if you accept cookies from Yahoo, which sort of defeats the
      purpose. I *could*, I suppose, enable cookies, create a bogus Yahoo
      account, use that to sign up for various groups, log into Yahoo just
      long enough to look at whatever group resources I want, then log off
      and delete cookies.

      I know most people probably don't care, or figure it's just a drop in
      the bucket, but for me I guess it's the principle of the thing: Yahoo
      will give me access to the stuff my groups post on their servers, in
      exchange for a whole lot of information about me. I choose not to
      make that exchange. *shrug*

      I could note that it hasn't gone so well for some people who *did*
      make that exchange :^( :

      http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/10/yahoo_china_cyber-dissident_flak/

      > So... how are other folks using this as "an old-style mailing list"? I didn't know you could
      > do that!

      It says at the very bottom of the group page -- you send an email from
      whatever addy you want subscribed to "sig-subscribe@yahoogroups.com".
      It's good that SIG has the archived messages and links set to "Public"
      -- a lot of groups restrict those to members only.

      --Kazimira
    • LiudmilaV@aol.com
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 6, 2007
        As a modern Russian speaker, I am inclined to Vee-TA-shah (Russian syllable break down). I have to say, though, that the whole thing seems unlikely to me as an actual woman's name. However, I am mostly familiar with late period records and texts, where the names changed. I can't really advise on 11th c.

        I do admire the quest for realistic name here, it almost makes me want to change mine (in recent years I became convinced that Liudmila was never an actual Russian woman's name until 19th century, though it could be a Bohemian one). I am, however, too attached to it to change it...I wanted that name when I was a child in Ukraine :)

        Liudmila