Re: [sig] Re: Persona Development

  • Amy Tubbs
    Message 1 of 32 , Nov 4, 2007
      I think I am going to change my name to Vitasha since it is so close
      to the horribly out of period nickname "Sasha" (that I have been going
      by for 15 or so years) -- thereby *hopefully* being easier for my
      friends to change over to.

      Now here is what I would like to know, please. How do you pronounce
      it? I assume it is vee TASH ah...or is it VEE tasha?

    • LiudmilaV@aol.com
      Message 32 of 32 , Nov 6, 2007
        As a modern Russian speaker, I am inclined to Vee-TA-shah (Russian syllable break down). I have to say, though, that the whole thing seems unlikely to me as an actual woman's name. However, I am mostly familiar with late period records and texts, where the names changed. I can't really advise on 11th c.

        I do admire the quest for realistic name here, it almost makes me want to change mine (in recent years I became convinced that Liudmila was never an actual Russian woman's name until 19th century, though it could be a Bohemian one). I am, however, too attached to it to change it...I wanted that name when I was a child in Ukraine :)

        Liudmila