Re: [sig] name question

  • Amy Tubbs
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 3, 2007
      Paul's dictionary of names is a great place to look up naming info:
      http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/vl-y.html

      Here is what I got:

      Vladimir (m) -- "to rule the land."

      o Vladimir Vsevolodovich. Born in 1053. [Tup 87]
      * Dims: Volodia (Volodia Kirilov, clerk). 1605. [RIB II 978]
      o Volodymerko (Volodymerko Volodarevich). 1142. [Mor 47]
      * Vars: Bladimir. 1040. [Mor 12]
      o Valodimer (Valodimer Ondreevich). 1585-6. [RIB II 307]
      o Val'dimar. 1181. [Mor 34]
      o Vladimer (Vladimer Ondreevich, prince, Ivan the Terrible's
      cousin). 1558. [RIB XII 129]
      o Vlodimer (Vlodimer Ol'g'rdovich', Kievan great prince).
      1362-92. [RIB II 6]
      o Volodimer. 1371-2. [Gra 31]
      o Volodimer' (Briachislav, syn Iziaslavl', vnuk Volodimer').
      1021. [Tup 22]
      o Volodimir. 1302. [Gra 64]
      o Volodimir' (Great Prince Mstislav Volodimir' syn). 1130. [Gra 140]
      o Wladimir. 892. [Mor 41]
      o Wlodimiro. 1261. [Mor 43]
      o Wlodzimir (Russian prince). 985. [Mor 43]
      o Wlodzimirus. 1387. [Mor 43]
      * Pats: Vladimirovich (Great Prince Iurii Vladimirovich). 1174. [Tup 462]
      * Pat Vars: Volodimerewitz (Dimitre Volodimerewitz). 1503. [Gra 331]
      o Volodimerich (Iurii Volodimerich Monomash). 1138. [Tup 22]
      o Volodimerov (Vasilii Volodimerov syn Kositsyn, scribe).
      1573. [RIB XIV 95]
      o Volodimerovich (Prince Iaroslav Volodimerovich, of
      Novgorod). 1189-99. [Gra 55]
      o Volodkovich [from Volodko] (Kokh Vasil' Volodkovich).
      1633. [Tup 203]
      * Pats (f): Vladimirovna (Princess Mstislava Vladimirovna). 1018. [Mor 122]
      * Pat Vars (f): Volodimerna [from Volodimer] (Effim'ia
      Volodimerna, daughter of Great Prince Vladimir). 1138. [Lav 305]

      On Nov 3, 2007 6:06 PM, Patricia <verte76@...> wrote:

      > What does the name Vladimir mean? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
      >
      > Isabelle de Foix
      > Kingdom of Meridies

    • Patricia
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 2007
        Thanks. I looked for that last night and couldn't find it.

        Isabelle

        Paul's dictionary of names is a great place to look up naming info:
        http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/vl-y.html

        Here is what I got:

        Vladimir (m) -- "to rule the land."

        o Vladimir Vsevolodovich. Born in 1053. [Tup 87]
        * Dims: Volodia (Volodia Kirilov, clerk). 1605. [RIB II 978]
        o Volodymerko (Volodymerko Volodarevich). 1142. [Mor 47]
        * Vars: Bladimir. 1040. [Mor 12]
        o Valodimer (Valodimer Ondreevich). 1585-6. [RIB II 307]
        o Val'dimar. 1181. [Mor 34]
        o Vladimer (Vladimer Ondreevich, prince, Ivan the Terrible's
        cousin). 1558. [RIB XII 129]
        o Vlodimer (Vlodimer Ol'g'rdovich', Kievan great prince).
        1362-92. [RIB II 6]
        o Volodimer. 1371-2. [Gra 31]
        o Volodimer' (Briachislav, syn Iziaslavl', vnuk Volodimer').
        1021. [Tup 22]
        o Volodimir. 1302. [Gra 64]
        o Volodimir' (Great Prince Mstislav Volodimir' syn). 1130. [Gra 140]
        o Wladimir. 892. [Mor 41]
        o Wlodimiro. 1261. [Mor 43]
        o Wlodzimir (Russian prince). 985. [Mor 43]
        o Wlodzimirus. 1387. [Mor 43]
        * Pats: Vladimirovich (Great Prince Iurii Vladimirovich). 1174. [Tup 462]
        * Pat Vars: Volodimerewitz (Dimitre Volodimerewitz). 1503. [Gra 331]
        o Volodimerich (Iurii Volodimerich Monomash). 1138. [Tup 22]
        o Volodimerov (Vasilii Volodimerov syn Kositsyn, scribe).
        1573. [RIB XIV 95]
        o Volodimerovich (Prince Iaroslav Volodimerovich, of
        Novgorod). 1189-99. [Gra 55]
        o Volodkovich [from Volodko] (Kokh Vasil' Volodkovich).
        1633. [Tup 203]
        * Pats (f): Vladimirovna (Princess Mstislava Vladimirovna). 1018. [Mor 122]
        * Pat Vars (f): Volodimerna [from Volodimer] (Effim'ia
        Volodimerna, daughter of Great Prince Vladimir). 1138. [Lav 305]

        On Nov 3, 2007 6:06 PM, Patricia <verte76@...> wrote:

        > What does the name Vladimir mean? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
        >
        > Isabelle de Foix
        > Kingdom of Meridies

      • Marilyn Kinyon
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
          A friend of mine is wanting a name meaning
          ?
          What I'm trying to get it to say is "Kalista White-Tailed Squirrell"
          ?
          Kalista Beloguzov Belkin
          I am not a herald ..lol But to me this seems probably wrong. Does anyone
          care to chime in (pretty please)! Is this doable..or something like what she
          wants?

          Thanks , Marija

          --
          "Your life can only be as free as your perception of it."

          - Deepak Chopra

        • Elaine Manyoki
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
            I don't know about Russian, but when I wanted to have my name mean Katya of the Black Forest in German, I used Katya von Schwarzwald..(literally meaning from the black forest.)
            Katya

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
              I am familiar with the traditional naming practices of Russian whereby the
              person is named after his/her father or grandfather. In that case you take
              the father's name and add an ending to make it the new "last name".
              http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zgrammar.html

              I do not know how to make a name such as the squirrel's tail. I did,
              however, find the following names using "white" in Paul's book. There is
              even one for a "white horse's tail" *Belokhvoshch*.
              http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/ba.html

              - *Belik* (m) -- "white."
              - Belik, lord. 1403.
              [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>II 16]
              - Pats: Belikovich (Kotash Belikovich, landowner). c1400.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>202]
              - *Belimir* (m) -- "white earth."
              - Belimir. 1243. [Mor <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
              - *Belina* (m) -- Belina. 1136.
              [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
              - *Belitsa* (m) -- Belitsa. 1405.
              [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
              - *Belka* (f) -- "squirrel."
              - Belka. 1243. [Mor <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
              - *Belka* (m) -- "squirrel."
              - Ivashko Belka, peasant of the Molviatsk parish. 1495.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
              - Vars: Belco. 1279.
              [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
              - Belko (Oleshko Belko, peasant of the Borpvitsk parish). 1495. [
              Tup <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup> 76]
              - Bel'ko (Bel'ko Debritskii, Mozyr' gunner). 1552.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
              - Bilko (Bilko Bogdanovich, Mozyr' peasant). 1552.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
              - Pat Vars: Belkov [from Belko] (Mikiforik Belkov brat, peasant of the
              Opol'sk parish). 1500.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
              - *Belkhan* (m) -- Belkhan. 1239.
              [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
              - *Belko* (m) -- var of Belka.
              - *Beloborod* (m) -- "white beard."
              - Oleshko Beloborod, Turin peasant. 1622.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
              - *Belobrodnik* (m) -- "little white beard."
              - Onoshko Belobrodnik, peasant. Recorded in 1633.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
              - *Belofost* (m) -- var of Belokhvost.
              - *Belogorskoi* (m) -- "white hills."
              - Ivan Pavlov syn Belogorskoi. 1583-7.
              [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>XIV 122]
              - *Belogubitsa* (m) -- "white lips."
              - Fedko Belogubitsa, peasant of the Mikhailov parish. 1495.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
              - *Beloi* (m) -- "white."
              - Vasilei Patrakeev Beloi. 15th Century.
              [Gra<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Gra>313]
              - Vars: Beli. 1470.
              [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
              - Belyi (Ivan Belyi, ambassador from Liubek). 1301.
              [Gra<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Gra>63]
              - Bilyi (Semen Bilyi, Glukhovsk city ataman). 1649.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
              - Pat Vars: Belov (Lentii Belov). 1589.
              [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>II 322]
              - *Belokhvoshch* (m) -- "white [horse's] tail."
              - Panas Belokhvoshch, peasant. Recorded in 1591.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
              - Vars: Byalochwoscz, Liuboml'sk craftsman. 1564.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
              - *Belokhvost* (m) -- "white tail."
              - Fedor Belokhvost, Minsk craftsman. 1613.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
              - Vars: Belofost (Ivan Belofost, Smol'iansk peasant). 1583.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
              - *Belokorets* (m) --
              - Vars: Bielokorzec (Fedor Bielokorzec, Kremenets craftsman). 1563. [
              Tup <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup> 77]
              - *Belonog* (m) -- "white foot."
              - Belonog Andreevich, Mozyr' peasant. 1552.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
              - Dims: Belonozhka (Danil Belonozhka, peasant). Recorded in
              1643. [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
              - *Belonos* (m) -- "white nose."
              - Pats: Belonosov (Guba Belonosov). 1602.
              [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>XIV 160]
              - *Belonozhka* (m) -- dim of Belonog.
              - *Belora* (m) -- Belora. 1332.
              [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
              - *Belosel'skoi* (byn) -- "white fields."
              - Vladimir Ivanov syn Belosel'skogo, landowner. 1539.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>316]
              - *Beloshka* (m) -- Pankratik Beloshka, peasant of the Bel'sk parish.
              1495. [Tup <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup> 78]
              - *Belota* (m) -- Belota. 1228.
              [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
              - *Belotel* (m) -- "white body."
              - Dims: Belotelets (Uglitsk city-government official). 1591.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
              - Pats: Be(lo)telov (Ivashko Beliai Be[lo]telov syn, serf).
              1498. [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
              - *Belotelets* (m) -- dim of Belotel.
              - *Belour* (m) -- Belour. 1332.
              [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
              - *Belous* (m) -- "white moustache."
              - Ivashko Belous, peasant of the Semenov parish. 1495.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
              - Vars: Belousyi (Stepan Belousyi, peasant). Recorded in 1618.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
              - Pats: Belousov (Nikon Filemov syn Belousov). 1472.
              [Gra<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Gra>243]
              - *Belousyi* (m) -- var of Belous.
              - *Beloverkh* (m) -- "white height."
              - Oleksa Beloverkh, lord's servant. Recorded in 1530.
              [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
              - *Belovod* (m) -- var of Belovolod.
              - *Belovolod* (m) -- "white rule."
              - Belovolod Prosovich. 1184.
              [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>159]
              - Vars: Belovod (Belovod Prosovich). 1187.
              [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32

              --Vitasha Ivanova doch'

              On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Marilyn Kinyon <mamalynxx@...> wrote:

              > A friend of mine is wanting a name meaning
              > ?
              > What I'm trying to get it to say is "Kalista White-Tailed Squirrell"
              > ?
              > Kalista Beloguzov Belkin
              > I am not a herald ..lol But to me this seems probably wrong. Does anyone
              > care to chime in (pretty please)! Is this doable..or something like what
              > she
              > wants?
              >
              > Thanks , Marija
              >
              > --
              > "Your life can only be as free as your perception of it."
              >
              > - Deepak Chopra

            • Paul W Goldschmidt
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
                What is the name supposed to mean? That she looks like a
                white-tailed squirrel? That she is the offspring of one? Or that
                she hunts them down and eats them for dinner?

                Kalista White-Tailed Squirrel does not make sense in English...you'll
                have to figure out what she really wants before we can make a Russian
                equivalent. :)

                Thanks,
                Paul

              • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 29, 2009
                  Kalista Beloguzov Belkin

                  "Beloguzov" means "of white tummy," in a masculine form. Belkin is masculine too (add a for feminine).