name question

  • Patricia
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 3, 2007
      What does the name Vladimir mean? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

      Isabelle de Foix
      Kingdom of Meridies

    • Amy Tubbs
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3, 2007
        Paul's dictionary of names is a great place to look up naming info:
        http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/vl-y.html

        Here is what I got:

        Vladimir (m) -- "to rule the land."

        o Vladimir Vsevolodovich. Born in 1053. [Tup 87]
        * Dims: Volodia (Volodia Kirilov, clerk). 1605. [RIB II 978]
        o Volodymerko (Volodymerko Volodarevich). 1142. [Mor 47]
        * Vars: Bladimir. 1040. [Mor 12]
        o Valodimer (Valodimer Ondreevich). 1585-6. [RIB II 307]
        o Val'dimar. 1181. [Mor 34]
        o Vladimer (Vladimer Ondreevich, prince, Ivan the Terrible's
        cousin). 1558. [RIB XII 129]
        o Vlodimer (Vlodimer Ol'g'rdovich', Kievan great prince).
        1362-92. [RIB II 6]
        o Volodimer. 1371-2. [Gra 31]
        o Volodimer' (Briachislav, syn Iziaslavl', vnuk Volodimer').
        1021. [Tup 22]
        o Volodimir. 1302. [Gra 64]
        o Volodimir' (Great Prince Mstislav Volodimir' syn). 1130. [Gra 140]
        o Wladimir. 892. [Mor 41]
        o Wlodimiro. 1261. [Mor 43]
        o Wlodzimir (Russian prince). 985. [Mor 43]
        o Wlodzimirus. 1387. [Mor 43]
        * Pats: Vladimirovich (Great Prince Iurii Vladimirovich). 1174. [Tup 462]
        * Pat Vars: Volodimerewitz (Dimitre Volodimerewitz). 1503. [Gra 331]
        o Volodimerich (Iurii Volodimerich Monomash). 1138. [Tup 22]
        o Volodimerov (Vasilii Volodimerov syn Kositsyn, scribe).
        1573. [RIB XIV 95]
        o Volodimerovich (Prince Iaroslav Volodimerovich, of
        Novgorod). 1189-99. [Gra 55]
        o Volodkovich [from Volodko] (Kokh Vasil' Volodkovich).
        1633. [Tup 203]
        * Pats (f): Vladimirovna (Princess Mstislava Vladimirovna). 1018. [Mor 122]
        * Pat Vars (f): Volodimerna [from Volodimer] (Effim'ia
        Volodimerna, daughter of Great Prince Vladimir). 1138. [Lav 305]

        On Nov 3, 2007 6:06 PM, Patricia <verte76@...> wrote:

        > What does the name Vladimir mean? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
        >
        > Isabelle de Foix
        > Kingdom of Meridies

      • Patricia
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 4, 2007
          Thanks. I looked for that last night and couldn't find it.

          Isabelle

          Paul's dictionary of names is a great place to look up naming info:
          http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/vl-y.html

          Here is what I got:

          Vladimir (m) -- "to rule the land."

          o Vladimir Vsevolodovich. Born in 1053. [Tup 87]
          * Dims: Volodia (Volodia Kirilov, clerk). 1605. [RIB II 978]
          o Volodymerko (Volodymerko Volodarevich). 1142. [Mor 47]
          * Vars: Bladimir. 1040. [Mor 12]
          o Valodimer (Valodimer Ondreevich). 1585-6. [RIB II 307]
          o Val'dimar. 1181. [Mor 34]
          o Vladimer (Vladimer Ondreevich, prince, Ivan the Terrible's
          cousin). 1558. [RIB XII 129]
          o Vlodimer (Vlodimer Ol'g'rdovich', Kievan great prince).
          1362-92. [RIB II 6]
          o Volodimer. 1371-2. [Gra 31]
          o Volodimer' (Briachislav, syn Iziaslavl', vnuk Volodimer').
          1021. [Tup 22]
          o Volodimir. 1302. [Gra 64]
          o Volodimir' (Great Prince Mstislav Volodimir' syn). 1130. [Gra 140]
          o Wladimir. 892. [Mor 41]
          o Wlodimiro. 1261. [Mor 43]
          o Wlodzimir (Russian prince). 985. [Mor 43]
          o Wlodzimirus. 1387. [Mor 43]
          * Pats: Vladimirovich (Great Prince Iurii Vladimirovich). 1174. [Tup 462]
          * Pat Vars: Volodimerewitz (Dimitre Volodimerewitz). 1503. [Gra 331]
          o Volodimerich (Iurii Volodimerich Monomash). 1138. [Tup 22]
          o Volodimerov (Vasilii Volodimerov syn Kositsyn, scribe).
          1573. [RIB XIV 95]
          o Volodimerovich (Prince Iaroslav Volodimerovich, of
          Novgorod). 1189-99. [Gra 55]
          o Volodkovich [from Volodko] (Kokh Vasil' Volodkovich).
          1633. [Tup 203]
          * Pats (f): Vladimirovna (Princess Mstislava Vladimirovna). 1018. [Mor 122]
          * Pat Vars (f): Volodimerna [from Volodimer] (Effim'ia
          Volodimerna, daughter of Great Prince Vladimir). 1138. [Lav 305]

          On Nov 3, 2007 6:06 PM, Patricia <verte76@...> wrote:

          > What does the name Vladimir mean? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
          >
          > Isabelle de Foix
          > Kingdom of Meridies

        • Marilyn Kinyon
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
            A friend of mine is wanting a name meaning
            ?
            What I'm trying to get it to say is "Kalista White-Tailed Squirrell"
            ?
            Kalista Beloguzov Belkin
            I am not a herald ..lol But to me this seems probably wrong. Does anyone
            care to chime in (pretty please)! Is this doable..or something like what she
            wants?

            Thanks , Marija

            --
            "Your life can only be as free as your perception of it."

            - Deepak Chopra

          • Elaine Manyoki
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
              I don't know about Russian, but when I wanted to have my name mean Katya of the Black Forest in German, I used Katya von Schwarzwald..(literally meaning from the black forest.)
              Katya

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
                I am familiar with the traditional naming practices of Russian whereby the
                person is named after his/her father or grandfather. In that case you take
                the father's name and add an ending to make it the new "last name".
                http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zgrammar.html

                I do not know how to make a name such as the squirrel's tail. I did,
                however, find the following names using "white" in Paul's book. There is
                even one for a "white horse's tail" *Belokhvoshch*.
                http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/ba.html

                - *Belik* (m) -- "white."
                - Belik, lord. 1403.
                [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>II 16]
                - Pats: Belikovich (Kotash Belikovich, landowner). c1400.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>202]
                - *Belimir* (m) -- "white earth."
                - Belimir. 1243. [Mor <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                - *Belina* (m) -- Belina. 1136.
                [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                - *Belitsa* (m) -- Belitsa. 1405.
                [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                - *Belka* (f) -- "squirrel."
                - Belka. 1243. [Mor <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                - *Belka* (m) -- "squirrel."
                - Ivashko Belka, peasant of the Molviatsk parish. 1495.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                - Vars: Belco. 1279.
                [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                - Belko (Oleshko Belko, peasant of the Borpvitsk parish). 1495. [
                Tup <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup> 76]
                - Bel'ko (Bel'ko Debritskii, Mozyr' gunner). 1552.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                - Bilko (Bilko Bogdanovich, Mozyr' peasant). 1552.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                - Pat Vars: Belkov [from Belko] (Mikiforik Belkov brat, peasant of the
                Opol'sk parish). 1500.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                - *Belkhan* (m) -- Belkhan. 1239.
                [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                - *Belko* (m) -- var of Belka.
                - *Beloborod* (m) -- "white beard."
                - Oleshko Beloborod, Turin peasant. 1622.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                - *Belobrodnik* (m) -- "little white beard."
                - Onoshko Belobrodnik, peasant. Recorded in 1633.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                - *Belofost* (m) -- var of Belokhvost.
                - *Belogorskoi* (m) -- "white hills."
                - Ivan Pavlov syn Belogorskoi. 1583-7.
                [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>XIV 122]
                - *Belogubitsa* (m) -- "white lips."
                - Fedko Belogubitsa, peasant of the Mikhailov parish. 1495.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                - *Beloi* (m) -- "white."
                - Vasilei Patrakeev Beloi. 15th Century.
                [Gra<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Gra>313]
                - Vars: Beli. 1470.
                [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                - Belyi (Ivan Belyi, ambassador from Liubek). 1301.
                [Gra<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Gra>63]
                - Bilyi (Semen Bilyi, Glukhovsk city ataman). 1649.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                - Pat Vars: Belov (Lentii Belov). 1589.
                [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>II 322]
                - *Belokhvoshch* (m) -- "white [horse's] tail."
                - Panas Belokhvoshch, peasant. Recorded in 1591.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
                - Vars: Byalochwoscz, Liuboml'sk craftsman. 1564.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
                - *Belokhvost* (m) -- "white tail."
                - Fedor Belokhvost, Minsk craftsman. 1613.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
                - Vars: Belofost (Ivan Belofost, Smol'iansk peasant). 1583.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                - *Belokorets* (m) --
                - Vars: Bielokorzec (Fedor Bielokorzec, Kremenets craftsman). 1563. [
                Tup <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup> 77]
                - *Belonog* (m) -- "white foot."
                - Belonog Andreevich, Mozyr' peasant. 1552.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                - Dims: Belonozhka (Danil Belonozhka, peasant). Recorded in
                1643. [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                - *Belonos* (m) -- "white nose."
                - Pats: Belonosov (Guba Belonosov). 1602.
                [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>XIV 160]
                - *Belonozhka* (m) -- dim of Belonog.
                - *Belora* (m) -- Belora. 1332.
                [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                - *Belosel'skoi* (byn) -- "white fields."
                - Vladimir Ivanov syn Belosel'skogo, landowner. 1539.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>316]
                - *Beloshka* (m) -- Pankratik Beloshka, peasant of the Bel'sk parish.
                1495. [Tup <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup> 78]
                - *Belota* (m) -- Belota. 1228.
                [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                - *Belotel* (m) -- "white body."
                - Dims: Belotelets (Uglitsk city-government official). 1591.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                - Pats: Be(lo)telov (Ivashko Beliai Be[lo]telov syn, serf).
                1498. [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
                - *Belotelets* (m) -- dim of Belotel.
                - *Belour* (m) -- Belour. 1332.
                [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                - *Belous* (m) -- "white moustache."
                - Ivashko Belous, peasant of the Semenov parish. 1495.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                - Vars: Belousyi (Stepan Belousyi, peasant). Recorded in 1618.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                - Pats: Belousov (Nikon Filemov syn Belousov). 1472.
                [Gra<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Gra>243]
                - *Belousyi* (m) -- var of Belous.
                - *Beloverkh* (m) -- "white height."
                - Oleksa Beloverkh, lord's servant. Recorded in 1530.
                [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                - *Belovod* (m) -- var of Belovolod.
                - *Belovolod* (m) -- "white rule."
                - Belovolod Prosovich. 1184.
                [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>159]
                - Vars: Belovod (Belovod Prosovich). 1187.
                [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32

                --Vitasha Ivanova doch'

                On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Marilyn Kinyon <mamalynxx@...> wrote:

                > A friend of mine is wanting a name meaning
                > ?
                > What I'm trying to get it to say is "Kalista White-Tailed Squirrell"
                > ?
                > Kalista Beloguzov Belkin
                > I am not a herald ..lol But to me this seems probably wrong. Does anyone
                > care to chime in (pretty please)! Is this doable..or something like what
                > she
                > wants?
                >
                > Thanks , Marija
                >
                > --
                > "Your life can only be as free as your perception of it."
                >
                > - Deepak Chopra

              • Paul W Goldschmidt
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
                  What is the name supposed to mean? That she looks like a
                  white-tailed squirrel? That she is the offspring of one? Or that
                  she hunts them down and eats them for dinner?

                  Kalista White-Tailed Squirrel does not make sense in English...you'll
                  have to figure out what she really wants before we can make a Russian
                  equivalent. :)

                  Thanks,
                  Paul

                • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 29, 2009
                    Kalista Beloguzov Belkin

                    "Beloguzov" means "of white tummy," in a masculine form. Belkin is masculine too (add a for feminine).