OFFTOPIC, but necessary. My apologies

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 2, 2007
      FYI. I got this same email from a couple of the law
      enforcement servers I'm on through the office and a
      friend on the Homeand Security server called me about
      this scam the other day so its pretty credible.
      'dok

      From the Tinley Park Police Department,
      Jury Duty Scam DO NOT DELETE WITHOUT READING ! It's
      short !
      This has been verified by the FBI (their link is also
      included below). Please
      pass this on to everyone in your email address book.
      It is spreading fast so be
      prepared should you get this call. Most of us take
      those summonses for jury duty
      seriously, but enough people skip out on their civic
      duty, that a new and
      ominous kind of fraud has surfaced.

      The caller claims to be a jury coordinator. If you
      protest that you never
      received a summons for jury duty, the scammer asks you
      for your Social Security
      number and date of birth so he or she can verify the
      information and cancel the
      arrest warrant. Give out any of this information and
      bingo; your identity was
      just stolen.

      The fraud has been reported so far in 11 states,
      including Oklahoma , Illinois ,
      and Colorado . This (swindle) is particularly
      insidious because they use
      intimidation over the phone to try to bully people
      into giving information by
      pretending they are with the court system. The FBI and
      the federal court system
      have issued nationwide alerts on their web sites,
      warning consumers about the
      fraud.

      Check it out here:
      http://www.fbi.gov/page2/june06/jury_scams060206.htm
      Also: http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/juryduty.asp
      which states, again, that
      the threat is real.

      Best Regards,
      'dok
      "Some people have sacred cows and they make very tasty steaks"

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • kevin purtrell