RE: [sig] Leather Gloves and Mittens

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2007
      Asfridir, greetings from Sofya!

      Thanks for those links!

      From the northern Russian point of view, there's a photo of a knitted artifact from Novgorod on Michael of Saffita's webpage, but I'm not sure what it is.
      http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/NovgorodfabricP.html

      And Adam Nahlik mentions some knitted items in his 1963 article:
      “Knitted items”

      Knitted items are met in the Novgorod excavations 9 times. These items are found in the following layers: 28, 20, 16, 15, 14, 13, 11 and 4. They were made of very coarse and irregular thread, “wound” with the help of a weaving needle with a special method. The “needle” technique served for “knitting” warm, coarse mittens, and also insoles for shoes.
      The technique for making mittens we can resurrect thanks to the research of M. Khal’d.
      Knitted items from Novgorod have a technique of weaving identical to that defind by M. Khal’d as Type II. This is the simplest method of needle knitting...

      Knitted items appear in archeological material of Europe from the beginning of our era (i.e. the Common Era, A.D.) and are found until the beginning of the 15th cent., in some countries production continues until the present day.
      In Gotland in the excavations of A. Moreh were found mittens related to the beginning of the Common Era. In Sweden in Lunde were discovered mittens dated to 1400. In Finland items of this type are known in medieval excavation. Mittens with needle weaving are often met with in excavations of Denmark. Items of this type were found also in tombs of monks in Catholic churches in Toulouse, Florence and Spiry (?). In the territory of Scandinavia, this technique continues until now. From the most close analogues, it is necessary to bring attention to items from excavation of Beloozero, and also early medieval Gdansk.
      Among items prepared with a needle (possibly a hook), relates a weaving found in Novgorod in level 24/25 – H-53/9581. [?]

      I have partially translated the article here:
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/nahlik.html

      I haven't tracked down the original archeological descriptions of the items mentioned above. All I know is what Nahlik says. Good luck! ;-)

      Sofya

      Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser