Re: [sig] Re: An interesting image...

  • Alexey Kiyaikin aka Posadnik
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 11, 2007
      Greetings!

      > Footwraps and rhubakha shirts
      > > were still standard issue in the Russian army until
      > > the early 1950s!
      To be precise, the very Rubakha-style tunics were out of issue yet in 1920s. And footwraps are much more hygienic if you are out of civilization for more than several days.

      > In a BBC documentary of the 1980s about life in Russia one episode
      > showed rookie soldiers getting footwrappings as standard issue socks.
      Why not. A knitted sock stops breathing after a day or two, if you can't change it. A footwrap keeps on working on condition you can dry it (about 5-10 minutes by an open fire, unlike a sock) or at least you re-wrap it to the dry end. It works guys. It really works.
      Some of my potholer acquaintances prefer fleece portyanki to socks. :-)

      > And looking appalled, and confused.

      Because they simply don't know how to do it. City children.
      From 1800s to 1920s high boots were about the only casual wear(see any photos of early 1900s people - they all wear boots. A well-known picture - two great writers, Tolstoy and Chekhov, they both wear high boots.
      http://flag.blackened.net/tolstoy/lt_chekov.jpg )

      For about 60 years it is not so. Less and less people wear high boots.
      And, FYI, this is how to wrap it (with some text hints):
      http://fedor58.narod.ru/Snaryaga/stelka.htm

      Important:
      in period they mostly did NOT wear 20-century footwraps (0.4x0.7 meter). They wore Onuchi (0.2x2.0 meter). They were wrapped in a different way, the leg was sorta bandaged, from toes to the thickest part of the calf (see this photo - http://www.ralphmag.org/DU/ilyich.html )

      The Kremlin garb registers mention Tsaress's Onuchi in entries of (afair) early 17 century.

      Hope that helps.
      Bye.