Re: [sig] name question

  • Patricia
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
      Thanks! I have some mundane ancestors named Yaroslav from Ukraine.

      Isabelle

      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3, 2007
        What does the name Vladimir mean? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

        Isabelle de Foix
        Kingdom of Meridies

      • Amy Tubbs
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 3, 2007
          Paul's dictionary of names is a great place to look up naming info:
          http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/vl-y.html

          Here is what I got:

          Vladimir (m) -- "to rule the land."

          o Vladimir Vsevolodovich. Born in 1053. [Tup 87]
          * Dims: Volodia (Volodia Kirilov, clerk). 1605. [RIB II 978]
          o Volodymerko (Volodymerko Volodarevich). 1142. [Mor 47]
          * Vars: Bladimir. 1040. [Mor 12]
          o Valodimer (Valodimer Ondreevich). 1585-6. [RIB II 307]
          o Val'dimar. 1181. [Mor 34]
          o Vladimer (Vladimer Ondreevich, prince, Ivan the Terrible's
          cousin). 1558. [RIB XII 129]
          o Vlodimer (Vlodimer Ol'g'rdovich', Kievan great prince).
          1362-92. [RIB II 6]
          o Volodimer. 1371-2. [Gra 31]
          o Volodimer' (Briachislav, syn Iziaslavl', vnuk Volodimer').
          1021. [Tup 22]
          o Volodimir. 1302. [Gra 64]
          o Volodimir' (Great Prince Mstislav Volodimir' syn). 1130. [Gra 140]
          o Wladimir. 892. [Mor 41]
          o Wlodimiro. 1261. [Mor 43]
          o Wlodzimir (Russian prince). 985. [Mor 43]
          o Wlodzimirus. 1387. [Mor 43]
          * Pats: Vladimirovich (Great Prince Iurii Vladimirovich). 1174. [Tup 462]
          * Pat Vars: Volodimerewitz (Dimitre Volodimerewitz). 1503. [Gra 331]
          o Volodimerich (Iurii Volodimerich Monomash). 1138. [Tup 22]
          o Volodimerov (Vasilii Volodimerov syn Kositsyn, scribe).
          1573. [RIB XIV 95]
          o Volodimerovich (Prince Iaroslav Volodimerovich, of
          Novgorod). 1189-99. [Gra 55]
          o Volodkovich [from Volodko] (Kokh Vasil' Volodkovich).
          1633. [Tup 203]
          * Pats (f): Vladimirovna (Princess Mstislava Vladimirovna). 1018. [Mor 122]
          * Pat Vars (f): Volodimerna [from Volodimer] (Effim'ia
          Volodimerna, daughter of Great Prince Vladimir). 1138. [Lav 305]

          On Nov 3, 2007 6:06 PM, Patricia <verte76@...> wrote:

          > What does the name Vladimir mean? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
          >
          > Isabelle de Foix
          > Kingdom of Meridies

        • Patricia
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 4, 2007
            Thanks. I looked for that last night and couldn't find it.

            Isabelle

            Paul's dictionary of names is a great place to look up naming info:
            http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/vl-y.html

            Here is what I got:

            Vladimir (m) -- "to rule the land."

            o Vladimir Vsevolodovich. Born in 1053. [Tup 87]
            * Dims: Volodia (Volodia Kirilov, clerk). 1605. [RIB II 978]
            o Volodymerko (Volodymerko Volodarevich). 1142. [Mor 47]
            * Vars: Bladimir. 1040. [Mor 12]
            o Valodimer (Valodimer Ondreevich). 1585-6. [RIB II 307]
            o Val'dimar. 1181. [Mor 34]
            o Vladimer (Vladimer Ondreevich, prince, Ivan the Terrible's
            cousin). 1558. [RIB XII 129]
            o Vlodimer (Vlodimer Ol'g'rdovich', Kievan great prince).
            1362-92. [RIB II 6]
            o Volodimer. 1371-2. [Gra 31]
            o Volodimer' (Briachislav, syn Iziaslavl', vnuk Volodimer').
            1021. [Tup 22]
            o Volodimir. 1302. [Gra 64]
            o Volodimir' (Great Prince Mstislav Volodimir' syn). 1130. [Gra 140]
            o Wladimir. 892. [Mor 41]
            o Wlodimiro. 1261. [Mor 43]
            o Wlodzimir (Russian prince). 985. [Mor 43]
            o Wlodzimirus. 1387. [Mor 43]
            * Pats: Vladimirovich (Great Prince Iurii Vladimirovich). 1174. [Tup 462]
            * Pat Vars: Volodimerewitz (Dimitre Volodimerewitz). 1503. [Gra 331]
            o Volodimerich (Iurii Volodimerich Monomash). 1138. [Tup 22]
            o Volodimerov (Vasilii Volodimerov syn Kositsyn, scribe).
            1573. [RIB XIV 95]
            o Volodimerovich (Prince Iaroslav Volodimerovich, of
            Novgorod). 1189-99. [Gra 55]
            o Volodkovich [from Volodko] (Kokh Vasil' Volodkovich).
            1633. [Tup 203]
            * Pats (f): Vladimirovna (Princess Mstislava Vladimirovna). 1018. [Mor 122]
            * Pat Vars (f): Volodimerna [from Volodimer] (Effim'ia
            Volodimerna, daughter of Great Prince Vladimir). 1138. [Lav 305]

            On Nov 3, 2007 6:06 PM, Patricia <verte76@...> wrote:

            > What does the name Vladimir mean? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
            >
            > Isabelle de Foix
            > Kingdom of Meridies

          • Marilyn Kinyon
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
              A friend of mine is wanting a name meaning
              ?
              What I'm trying to get it to say is "Kalista White-Tailed Squirrell"
              ?
              Kalista Beloguzov Belkin
              I am not a herald ..lol But to me this seems probably wrong. Does anyone
              care to chime in (pretty please)! Is this doable..or something like what she
              wants?

              Thanks , Marija

              --
              "Your life can only be as free as your perception of it."

              - Deepak Chopra

            • Elaine Manyoki
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
                I don't know about Russian, but when I wanted to have my name mean Katya of the Black Forest in German, I used Katya von Schwarzwald..(literally meaning from the black forest.)
                Katya

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
                  I am familiar with the traditional naming practices of Russian whereby the
                  person is named after his/her father or grandfather. In that case you take
                  the father's name and add an ending to make it the new "last name".
                  http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zgrammar.html

                  I do not know how to make a name such as the squirrel's tail. I did,
                  however, find the following names using "white" in Paul's book. There is
                  even one for a "white horse's tail" *Belokhvoshch*.
                  http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/ba.html

                  - *Belik* (m) -- "white."
                  - Belik, lord. 1403.
                  [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>II 16]
                  - Pats: Belikovich (Kotash Belikovich, landowner). c1400.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>202]
                  - *Belimir* (m) -- "white earth."
                  - Belimir. 1243. [Mor <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                  - *Belina* (m) -- Belina. 1136.
                  [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                  - *Belitsa* (m) -- Belitsa. 1405.
                  [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                  - *Belka* (f) -- "squirrel."
                  - Belka. 1243. [Mor <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                  - *Belka* (m) -- "squirrel."
                  - Ivashko Belka, peasant of the Molviatsk parish. 1495.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                  - Vars: Belco. 1279.
                  [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                  - Belko (Oleshko Belko, peasant of the Borpvitsk parish). 1495. [
                  Tup <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup> 76]
                  - Bel'ko (Bel'ko Debritskii, Mozyr' gunner). 1552.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                  - Bilko (Bilko Bogdanovich, Mozyr' peasant). 1552.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                  - Pat Vars: Belkov [from Belko] (Mikiforik Belkov brat, peasant of the
                  Opol'sk parish). 1500.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                  - *Belkhan* (m) -- Belkhan. 1239.
                  [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                  - *Belko* (m) -- var of Belka.
                  - *Beloborod* (m) -- "white beard."
                  - Oleshko Beloborod, Turin peasant. 1622.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                  - *Belobrodnik* (m) -- "little white beard."
                  - Onoshko Belobrodnik, peasant. Recorded in 1633.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                  - *Belofost* (m) -- var of Belokhvost.
                  - *Belogorskoi* (m) -- "white hills."
                  - Ivan Pavlov syn Belogorskoi. 1583-7.
                  [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>XIV 122]
                  - *Belogubitsa* (m) -- "white lips."
                  - Fedko Belogubitsa, peasant of the Mikhailov parish. 1495.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                  - *Beloi* (m) -- "white."
                  - Vasilei Patrakeev Beloi. 15th Century.
                  [Gra<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Gra>313]
                  - Vars: Beli. 1470.
                  [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                  - Belyi (Ivan Belyi, ambassador from Liubek). 1301.
                  [Gra<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Gra>63]
                  - Bilyi (Semen Bilyi, Glukhovsk city ataman). 1649.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                  - Pat Vars: Belov (Lentii Belov). 1589.
                  [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>II 322]
                  - *Belokhvoshch* (m) -- "white [horse's] tail."
                  - Panas Belokhvoshch, peasant. Recorded in 1591.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
                  - Vars: Byalochwoscz, Liuboml'sk craftsman. 1564.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
                  - *Belokhvost* (m) -- "white tail."
                  - Fedor Belokhvost, Minsk craftsman. 1613.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
                  - Vars: Belofost (Ivan Belofost, Smol'iansk peasant). 1583.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                  - *Belokorets* (m) --
                  - Vars: Bielokorzec (Fedor Bielokorzec, Kremenets craftsman). 1563. [
                  Tup <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup> 77]
                  - *Belonog* (m) -- "white foot."
                  - Belonog Andreevich, Mozyr' peasant. 1552.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                  - Dims: Belonozhka (Danil Belonozhka, peasant). Recorded in
                  1643. [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                  - *Belonos* (m) -- "white nose."
                  - Pats: Belonosov (Guba Belonosov). 1602.
                  [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>XIV 160]
                  - *Belonozhka* (m) -- dim of Belonog.
                  - *Belora* (m) -- Belora. 1332.
                  [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                  - *Belosel'skoi* (byn) -- "white fields."
                  - Vladimir Ivanov syn Belosel'skogo, landowner. 1539.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>316]
                  - *Beloshka* (m) -- Pankratik Beloshka, peasant of the Bel'sk parish.
                  1495. [Tup <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup> 78]
                  - *Belota* (m) -- Belota. 1228.
                  [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                  - *Belotel* (m) -- "white body."
                  - Dims: Belotelets (Uglitsk city-government official). 1591.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                  - Pats: Be(lo)telov (Ivashko Beliai Be[lo]telov syn, serf).
                  1498. [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
                  - *Belotelets* (m) -- dim of Belotel.
                  - *Belour* (m) -- Belour. 1332.
                  [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                  - *Belous* (m) -- "white moustache."
                  - Ivashko Belous, peasant of the Semenov parish. 1495.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                  - Vars: Belousyi (Stepan Belousyi, peasant). Recorded in 1618.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                  - Pats: Belousov (Nikon Filemov syn Belousov). 1472.
                  [Gra<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Gra>243]
                  - *Belousyi* (m) -- var of Belous.
                  - *Beloverkh* (m) -- "white height."
                  - Oleksa Beloverkh, lord's servant. Recorded in 1530.
                  [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                  - *Belovod* (m) -- var of Belovolod.
                  - *Belovolod* (m) -- "white rule."
                  - Belovolod Prosovich. 1184.
                  [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>159]
                  - Vars: Belovod (Belovod Prosovich). 1187.
                  [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32

                  --Vitasha Ivanova doch'

                  On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Marilyn Kinyon <mamalynxx@...> wrote:

                  > A friend of mine is wanting a name meaning
                  > ?
                  > What I'm trying to get it to say is "Kalista White-Tailed Squirrell"
                  > ?
                  > Kalista Beloguzov Belkin
                  > I am not a herald ..lol But to me this seems probably wrong. Does anyone
                  > care to chime in (pretty please)! Is this doable..or something like what
                  > she
                  > wants?
                  >
                  > Thanks , Marija
                  >
                  > --
                  > "Your life can only be as free as your perception of it."
                  >
                  > - Deepak Chopra

                • Paul W Goldschmidt
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
                    What is the name supposed to mean? That she looks like a
                    white-tailed squirrel? That she is the offspring of one? Or that
                    she hunts them down and eats them for dinner?

                    Kalista White-Tailed Squirrel does not make sense in English...you'll
                    have to figure out what she really wants before we can make a Russian
                    equivalent. :)

                    Thanks,
                    Paul

                  • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 29, 2009
                      Kalista Beloguzov Belkin

                      "Beloguzov" means "of white tummy," in a masculine form. Belkin is masculine too (add a for feminine).