name question

  • Patricia
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 5, 2007
      Does anyone know what Yaroslav means?

      Isabelle de Foix

    • L.M. Kies
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
        From Paul's Dictionary:
        http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/h-j.html

        Iaroslav (m) -- "glorious light."

        Sofya

        >------- Original Message -------

        >Does anyone know what Yaroslav means?

        Isabelle de Foix

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Patricia
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 7, 2007
          Thanks! I have some mundane ancestors named Yaroslav from Ukraine.

          Isabelle

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 3, 2007
            What does the name Vladimir mean? Thanks in advance for any help with this.

            Isabelle de Foix
            Kingdom of Meridies

          • Amy Tubbs
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 3, 2007
              Paul's dictionary of names is a great place to look up naming info:
              http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/vl-y.html

              Here is what I got:

              Vladimir (m) -- "to rule the land."

              o Vladimir Vsevolodovich. Born in 1053. [Tup 87]
              * Dims: Volodia (Volodia Kirilov, clerk). 1605. [RIB II 978]
              o Volodymerko (Volodymerko Volodarevich). 1142. [Mor 47]
              * Vars: Bladimir. 1040. [Mor 12]
              o Valodimer (Valodimer Ondreevich). 1585-6. [RIB II 307]
              o Val'dimar. 1181. [Mor 34]
              o Vladimer (Vladimer Ondreevich, prince, Ivan the Terrible's
              cousin). 1558. [RIB XII 129]
              o Vlodimer (Vlodimer Ol'g'rdovich', Kievan great prince).
              1362-92. [RIB II 6]
              o Volodimer. 1371-2. [Gra 31]
              o Volodimer' (Briachislav, syn Iziaslavl', vnuk Volodimer').
              1021. [Tup 22]
              o Volodimir. 1302. [Gra 64]
              o Volodimir' (Great Prince Mstislav Volodimir' syn). 1130. [Gra 140]
              o Wladimir. 892. [Mor 41]
              o Wlodimiro. 1261. [Mor 43]
              o Wlodzimir (Russian prince). 985. [Mor 43]
              o Wlodzimirus. 1387. [Mor 43]
              * Pats: Vladimirovich (Great Prince Iurii Vladimirovich). 1174. [Tup 462]
              * Pat Vars: Volodimerewitz (Dimitre Volodimerewitz). 1503. [Gra 331]
              o Volodimerich (Iurii Volodimerich Monomash). 1138. [Tup 22]
              o Volodimerov (Vasilii Volodimerov syn Kositsyn, scribe).
              1573. [RIB XIV 95]
              o Volodimerovich (Prince Iaroslav Volodimerovich, of
              Novgorod). 1189-99. [Gra 55]
              o Volodkovich [from Volodko] (Kokh Vasil' Volodkovich).
              1633. [Tup 203]
              * Pats (f): Vladimirovna (Princess Mstislava Vladimirovna). 1018. [Mor 122]
              * Pat Vars (f): Volodimerna [from Volodimer] (Effim'ia
              Volodimerna, daughter of Great Prince Vladimir). 1138. [Lav 305]

              On Nov 3, 2007 6:06 PM, Patricia <verte76@...> wrote:

              > What does the name Vladimir mean? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
              >
              > Isabelle de Foix
              > Kingdom of Meridies

            • Patricia
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 4, 2007
                Thanks. I looked for that last night and couldn't find it.

                Isabelle

                Paul's dictionary of names is a great place to look up naming info:
                http://www.sca.org/heraldry/paul/vl-y.html

                Here is what I got:

                Vladimir (m) -- "to rule the land."

                o Vladimir Vsevolodovich. Born in 1053. [Tup 87]
                * Dims: Volodia (Volodia Kirilov, clerk). 1605. [RIB II 978]
                o Volodymerko (Volodymerko Volodarevich). 1142. [Mor 47]
                * Vars: Bladimir. 1040. [Mor 12]
                o Valodimer (Valodimer Ondreevich). 1585-6. [RIB II 307]
                o Val'dimar. 1181. [Mor 34]
                o Vladimer (Vladimer Ondreevich, prince, Ivan the Terrible's
                cousin). 1558. [RIB XII 129]
                o Vlodimer (Vlodimer Ol'g'rdovich', Kievan great prince).
                1362-92. [RIB II 6]
                o Volodimer. 1371-2. [Gra 31]
                o Volodimer' (Briachislav, syn Iziaslavl', vnuk Volodimer').
                1021. [Tup 22]
                o Volodimir. 1302. [Gra 64]
                o Volodimir' (Great Prince Mstislav Volodimir' syn). 1130. [Gra 140]
                o Wladimir. 892. [Mor 41]
                o Wlodimiro. 1261. [Mor 43]
                o Wlodzimir (Russian prince). 985. [Mor 43]
                o Wlodzimirus. 1387. [Mor 43]
                * Pats: Vladimirovich (Great Prince Iurii Vladimirovich). 1174. [Tup 462]
                * Pat Vars: Volodimerewitz (Dimitre Volodimerewitz). 1503. [Gra 331]
                o Volodimerich (Iurii Volodimerich Monomash). 1138. [Tup 22]
                o Volodimerov (Vasilii Volodimerov syn Kositsyn, scribe).
                1573. [RIB XIV 95]
                o Volodimerovich (Prince Iaroslav Volodimerovich, of
                Novgorod). 1189-99. [Gra 55]
                o Volodkovich [from Volodko] (Kokh Vasil' Volodkovich).
                1633. [Tup 203]
                * Pats (f): Vladimirovna (Princess Mstislava Vladimirovna). 1018. [Mor 122]
                * Pat Vars (f): Volodimerna [from Volodimer] (Effim'ia
                Volodimerna, daughter of Great Prince Vladimir). 1138. [Lav 305]

                On Nov 3, 2007 6:06 PM, Patricia <verte76@...> wrote:

                > What does the name Vladimir mean? Thanks in advance for any help with this.
                >
                > Isabelle de Foix
                > Kingdom of Meridies

              • Marilyn Kinyon
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
                  A friend of mine is wanting a name meaning
                  ?
                  What I'm trying to get it to say is "Kalista White-Tailed Squirrell"
                  ?
                  Kalista Beloguzov Belkin
                  I am not a herald ..lol But to me this seems probably wrong. Does anyone
                  care to chime in (pretty please)! Is this doable..or something like what she
                  wants?

                  Thanks , Marija

                  --
                  "Your life can only be as free as your perception of it."

                  - Deepak Chopra

                • Elaine Manyoki
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
                    I don't know about Russian, but when I wanted to have my name mean Katya of the Black Forest in German, I used Katya von Schwarzwald..(literally meaning from the black forest.)
                    Katya

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
                      I am familiar with the traditional naming practices of Russian whereby the
                      person is named after his/her father or grandfather. In that case you take
                      the father's name and add an ending to make it the new "last name".
                      http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zgrammar.html

                      I do not know how to make a name such as the squirrel's tail. I did,
                      however, find the following names using "white" in Paul's book. There is
                      even one for a "white horse's tail" *Belokhvoshch*.
                      http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/ba.html

                      - *Belik* (m) -- "white."
                      - Belik, lord. 1403.
                      [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>II 16]
                      - Pats: Belikovich (Kotash Belikovich, landowner). c1400.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>202]
                      - *Belimir* (m) -- "white earth."
                      - Belimir. 1243. [Mor <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                      - *Belina* (m) -- Belina. 1136.
                      [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                      - *Belitsa* (m) -- Belitsa. 1405.
                      [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                      - *Belka* (f) -- "squirrel."
                      - Belka. 1243. [Mor <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                      - *Belka* (m) -- "squirrel."
                      - Ivashko Belka, peasant of the Molviatsk parish. 1495.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                      - Vars: Belco. 1279.
                      [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                      - Belko (Oleshko Belko, peasant of the Borpvitsk parish). 1495. [
                      Tup <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup> 76]
                      - Bel'ko (Bel'ko Debritskii, Mozyr' gunner). 1552.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                      - Bilko (Bilko Bogdanovich, Mozyr' peasant). 1552.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                      - Pat Vars: Belkov [from Belko] (Mikiforik Belkov brat, peasant of the
                      Opol'sk parish). 1500.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                      - *Belkhan* (m) -- Belkhan. 1239.
                      [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                      - *Belko* (m) -- var of Belka.
                      - *Beloborod* (m) -- "white beard."
                      - Oleshko Beloborod, Turin peasant. 1622.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                      - *Belobrodnik* (m) -- "little white beard."
                      - Onoshko Belobrodnik, peasant. Recorded in 1633.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                      - *Belofost* (m) -- var of Belokhvost.
                      - *Belogorskoi* (m) -- "white hills."
                      - Ivan Pavlov syn Belogorskoi. 1583-7.
                      [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>XIV 122]
                      - *Belogubitsa* (m) -- "white lips."
                      - Fedko Belogubitsa, peasant of the Mikhailov parish. 1495.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                      - *Beloi* (m) -- "white."
                      - Vasilei Patrakeev Beloi. 15th Century.
                      [Gra<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Gra>313]
                      - Vars: Beli. 1470.
                      [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                      - Belyi (Ivan Belyi, ambassador from Liubek). 1301.
                      [Gra<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Gra>63]
                      - Bilyi (Semen Bilyi, Glukhovsk city ataman). 1649.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                      - Pat Vars: Belov (Lentii Belov). 1589.
                      [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>II 322]
                      - *Belokhvoshch* (m) -- "white [horse's] tail."
                      - Panas Belokhvoshch, peasant. Recorded in 1591.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
                      - Vars: Byalochwoscz, Liuboml'sk craftsman. 1564.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
                      - *Belokhvost* (m) -- "white tail."
                      - Fedor Belokhvost, Minsk craftsman. 1613.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
                      - Vars: Belofost (Ivan Belofost, Smol'iansk peasant). 1583.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                      - *Belokorets* (m) --
                      - Vars: Bielokorzec (Fedor Bielokorzec, Kremenets craftsman). 1563. [
                      Tup <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup> 77]
                      - *Belonog* (m) -- "white foot."
                      - Belonog Andreevich, Mozyr' peasant. 1552.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                      - Dims: Belonozhka (Danil Belonozhka, peasant). Recorded in
                      1643. [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                      - *Belonos* (m) -- "white nose."
                      - Pats: Belonosov (Guba Belonosov). 1602.
                      [RIB<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#RIB>XIV 160]
                      - *Belonozhka* (m) -- dim of Belonog.
                      - *Belora* (m) -- Belora. 1332.
                      [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                      - *Belosel'skoi* (byn) -- "white fields."
                      - Vladimir Ivanov syn Belosel'skogo, landowner. 1539.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>316]
                      - *Beloshka* (m) -- Pankratik Beloshka, peasant of the Bel'sk parish.
                      1495. [Tup <http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup> 78]
                      - *Belota* (m) -- Belota. 1228.
                      [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                      - *Belotel* (m) -- "white body."
                      - Dims: Belotelets (Uglitsk city-government official). 1591.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                      - Pats: Be(lo)telov (Ivashko Beliai Be[lo]telov syn, serf).
                      1498. [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>78]
                      - *Belotelets* (m) -- dim of Belotel.
                      - *Belour* (m) -- Belour. 1332.
                      [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32]
                      - *Belous* (m) -- "white moustache."
                      - Ivashko Belous, peasant of the Semenov parish. 1495.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                      - Vars: Belousyi (Stepan Belousyi, peasant). Recorded in 1618.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>77]
                      - Pats: Belousov (Nikon Filemov syn Belousov). 1472.
                      [Gra<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Gra>243]
                      - *Belousyi* (m) -- var of Belous.
                      - *Beloverkh* (m) -- "white height."
                      - Oleksa Beloverkh, lord's servant. Recorded in 1530.
                      [Tup<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Tup>76]
                      - *Belovod* (m) -- var of Belovolod.
                      - *Belovolod* (m) -- "white rule."
                      - Belovolod Prosovich. 1184.
                      [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>159]
                      - Vars: Belovod (Belovod Prosovich). 1187.
                      [Mor<http://heraldry.sca.org/paul/zpreface.html#Mor>32

                      --Vitasha Ivanova doch'

                      On Sun, Jun 28, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Marilyn Kinyon <mamalynxx@...> wrote:

                      > A friend of mine is wanting a name meaning
                      > ?
                      > What I'm trying to get it to say is "Kalista White-Tailed Squirrell"
                      > ?
                      > Kalista Beloguzov Belkin
                      > I am not a herald ..lol But to me this seems probably wrong. Does anyone
                      > care to chime in (pretty please)! Is this doable..or something like what
                      > she
                      > wants?
                      >
                      > Thanks , Marija
                      >
                      > --
                      > "Your life can only be as free as your perception of it."
                      >
                      > - Deepak Chopra

                    • Paul W Goldschmidt
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 28, 2009
                        What is the name supposed to mean? That she looks like a
                        white-tailed squirrel? That she is the offspring of one? Or that
                        she hunts them down and eats them for dinner?

                        Kalista White-Tailed Squirrel does not make sense in English...you'll
                        have to figure out what she really wants before we can make a Russian
                        equivalent. :)

                        Thanks,
                        Paul

                      • LiudmilaV@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 29, 2009
                          Kalista Beloguzov Belkin

                          "Beloguzov" means "of white tummy," in a masculine form. Belkin is masculine too (add a for feminine).