Re: Polish Tents?

  • Ron Jachim
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2007
      I didn't know that tent was displayed inside out, but many are
      intentionally displayed that way in museums -- or the museum shows the
      inner tent liner, but not the boring verdigris outside.

      Nurhan Atasoy mentions several of the elements of this tent being off,
      which strongly suggests that it is not of Turkish manufacture, but
      rather of Polish manufacture designed to look Turkish. She also dates
      it to the early 18th century. The panels are certainly not as busy as
      earlier Turkish ones.

      I've never seen a 17th or 16th century illustration with a marquee
      that has a rectangular base and straight sides. Round & Oval bases
      predominate, and most (not all have sloping sides at that time.

      Ron