You busted me out!!! Eh, some Laurel stuff for thought then....

    Message 1 of 54 , Sep 14, 2007
      I'm living proof! A knock on the head, I wake up
      speaking a strange language yet can't recall my native
      tongue....Its a deplorable state but I'm lazy at heart
      and a confirmed slacker. My goal is to leave a Laurel
      shaped coffee mug stain on a table some day...I have a
      dream!!!!!
      Seriously though. Laurel stuff, eh....? I do tend
      to drone but bear with me, this is something I'm very,
      very familiar with! Sofya is dead on, as usual. The
      best strategy is to do something unique, teach it
      everywhere, write about it in all its aspects, and
      connect the dots from disparate sources as you
      research all those aspects you're writing about. That
      last is the defining Laurel skill that each and every
      member in the Knowne World can and has done.
      And for gods sake, relax and enjoy the ride. Be
      fatalistic about the process but determined. And laugh
      at yourself while admitting your mistakes. Never be
      afraid to publically update your theories when new
      information becomes available. The accuracy is a lot
      more important than anyone's pride ever was. Its a
      piss poor, pathetic artisan who doesn't live by that
      rule.
      Which reminds me. Some Laurels want to be fawned
      upon but the vaste majority are totally consumed by
      their interest and connect best with fellow travelers
      of the same mindset. Especially the ones that make
      them laugh. I never think about work after quitting
      time but I'm always thinking about my realm of
      interest on some level.
      So, if it happens it does. If not that doesn't
      affect what you know. The real work starts after
      elevation anyway. You have a debt to everyone who
      helped you on the way to continue helping other
      artisans develop and get attention for their craft!
      Sorry about droning on!
      'dok

      --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

      > >People don't get laurelled for geographic area
      > knowledge.
      >
      > That's true everywhere. It's easier to get
      > recognized for something visible - like clothing and
      > food. Harder to get recognized for something more
      > cerebral like medical theory or cultural life &
      > customs since it doesn't make an easy display.
      >
      > >I think it'd come as a shock to most that it could
      > be
      > >possible to get laurelled for this without being
      > able to read an
      > >Eastern European language. Which bring up an
      > interesting point, is it
      > >possible?!?
      >
      > Let's ask our good friend, Master Mordak. Last I
      > checked he could barely say "vodka" in Russian. ;-)
      >
      > Sofya

      > Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
      > http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser

      > removed]

    • Elizabeth Lear
      Message 54 of 54 , Oct 26, 2007
        Chiming in late ... I got my Manche in diverse studies, but my Slavic
        studies were definitely citied.

        Yelizaveta Medvedeva, Barony of Carolingia, East

        --
        Children are made up of genetics, blind luck, and the stories you tell them.
        - The Flying Ks