new to group with a question...

  • barbary_rose
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 12, 2007
      ...which is why I`m hoping you good people can help me!
      I am Lady Barbary Rose of Endless Hills, a late-period Elizabethan
      lady-in-waiting in Queen Elizabeth`s court...I know, hardly Slavic at
      all! But...
      As baronial Herald for Endless Hills (Aethelmearc) I have the
      pleasure AND pain of name research for those who wish to register a
      name and/or armory...
      I have someone who wishes to use the name "Luminitsa"...at this point
      they don`t care which gender it represents, or culture, or time
      period (but hopefully IN period!) We`re basically working backwards
      here...
      Found in an online list of 20,000 names (basically an online baby-
      name book) years ago, but they SWEAR there was a site that had
      documentation and "everything" for the name...but it can`t be found
      now...

      My question to any name-heralds out there who specialize in Slavic
      language (which unfortunately isn`t ME) is, is there any way to
      construct a name like this? Or 'conjecture' one...
      In perusing every naming-practice article on the SCA sites, Russian
      seems to come the closest in sounds and syllables to this name...I
      thought of spelling variants (which the client is amenable for) such
      as Luminita, Lomanitsa, Liumanitsa...etc....the sound is what seems
      important to this person...

      Can anyone steer me in the right direction, or offer suggestions? I
      do not have a copy of Wickenden`s dictionary, but will order it soon;
      it looks like a worthy reference to have on hand...

      My eternal thanks for any help offered...

      -Barbary Rose-