RE: [sig] Re: So, The Slavic University needs your talent and classes!

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 10, 2007
      You're Russian? Excellent. *rubs hands*

      There is a lot of information on-line about Russian garb (including Liudmila's pearl embroidery technique). And there are lots of people here who can answer questions if there's something you don't understand.

      Have you been to the SIG Russian Knowledge Pages yet?
      What period are you?

      Sofya

      Cool! I've never tried pearl embroidery and Russian women's headwear
      would be really really cool, providing I could find out what outfit
      goes with it!
      :)
      Rosie
      The middle of nowhere being Central Victoria, Au; with only 4 other
      SCAers (2 being newbies and the other 2 my relatives.)

    • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 10, 2007
        <<I would need to work out how, but I do have some online teaching
        experience with my mundane job. What? Pearl embroidery and/or Russian
        women's headwear, probably. What I was thinking of was perhaps an embroidery
        class, where I would walk students through a project and they would post
        photos of their work as it goes on and ask for advise.
        Liudmila
        www.sca-russian.com>>

        Liudmila,

        This is a great idea. In fact, once I get back up to speed, I can link to
        your site from mine (http://www.plcommonwealth.org), and I can put a blurb
        up on my site advetising this new online teaching method. That's a great
        help!

        I wanted to mention that I am looking for people to teach *at* the Slavic U.
        Are you planning on coming? Because your claass would be a great addition.

        From the co-autocrat of the Slavic U. :)
        --
        Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
        "Most people live their lives as if they had another one in the bank" - Ben

      • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 11, 2007
          > You're Russian? Excellent. *rubs hands*
          >
          > Have you been to the SIG Russian Knowledge Pages yet?
          > What period are you?
          >
          > Sofya

          Um. Not Russian. I'm in the process getting my 15th century Polish name
          passed. I just think the Russian stuff looks funky. They seem to have
          better headwear than anyone else.
          Rosie
          *sheepishly admitting she has an over large store of curiousity and
          enthusiasm*
        • L.M. Kies
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 11, 2007

            *laugh*

            Fair enough. "Nawojka" didn't look Russian, but you were so interested, I looked it up and "Nawoj" is listed in Wickenden's Dictionary of Russian Names so I thought you might be Russian after all.

            The easy answer for you, if you want an outfit to go with a fancy Russian hat, is to make an easy Russian letnik. It is my understanding that it is completely different than the Polish letnik, but Magdalena is the real expert on that question.

            Here's what I know:
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC3.html

            And here's what I did with it (about 1/3 down the page):
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/wardrobe.html

            Be careful, though. I originally intended to have just one Russian outfit, too. ;-)

            Sofya

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 12, 2007
              --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

              > Be careful, though. I originally intended to have
              > just one Russian outfit, too. ;-)
              >
              > Sofya

              ROTFL! That's what they all say....

              --Sfandra
              --who's influenced 4 people to go Russian to date.....

              ******************
              Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
              Haus Von Drakenklaue
              Kingdom of the East
              ******************
              Never 'pearl' your butt.

              Need a vacation? Get great deals
              to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
              http://travel.yahoo.com/
            • magdalenag56
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 12, 2007
                Thank you for the compliment Sofya.

                Nawojka, I will pull pictures of some of my favorite items and send
                them to you. I agree that our Russian "sisters" have some amazing
                headresses but Polish women throughout history also used pearls
                especially in decorating their clothing.

                One of the first clothing items I just had to have was a late period
                hat, trimmed in fur and feathers and now I have it. Have you read Pan
                Zygmunt's information on clothing? I have never told them but Pan
                Zygmunt and Sofya were two of my first "resources" and I almost went
                Russian.

                If you email me privately I can send you those pictures.

                Magdalena
              • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 13, 2007
                  > If you email me privately I can send you those pictures.
                  > Magdalena

                  Please!!
                  It's destiny. I'm meant to have that fur hat you
                  mentioned. A friend is running an event next month and
                  there's a competition for a fur item. I really want to
                  support her event and have been agonising over my
                  entry! Can I use black fur? Because that's what I've
                  got.
                  Rosie/Nawojka
                  Lochac
                  P.S Couldn't email you, it kept bouncing.