Re: So, The Slavic University needs your talent and classes!

  • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 10 3:15 AM
      >What? Pearl embroidery and/or Russian women's headwear, probably. What
      I was thinking of was perhaps an embroidery class, where I would walk
      students through a project and they would post photos of their work as
      it goes on and ask for advise.

      Cool! I've never tried pearl embroidery and Russian women's headwear
      would be really really cool, providing I could find out what outfit
      goes with it!
      :)
      Rosie
      The middle of nowhere being Central Victoria, Au; with only 4 other
      SCAers (2 being newbies and the other 2 my relatives.)
    • L.M. Kies
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 10 5:01 AM
        You're Russian? Excellent. *rubs hands*

        There is a lot of information on-line about Russian garb (including Liudmila's pearl embroidery technique). And there are lots of people here who can answer questions if there's something you don't understand.

        Have you been to the SIG Russian Knowledge Pages yet?
        What period are you?

        Sofya

      • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 10 7:26 AM
          <<I would need to work out how, but I do have some online teaching
          experience with my mundane job. What? Pearl embroidery and/or Russian
          women's headwear, probably. What I was thinking of was perhaps an embroidery
          class, where I would walk students through a project and they would post
          photos of their work as it goes on and ask for advise.
          Liudmila
          www.sca-russian.com>>

          Liudmila,

          This is a great idea. In fact, once I get back up to speed, I can link to
          your site from mine (http://www.plcommonwealth.org), and I can put a blurb
          up on my site advetising this new online teaching method. That's a great
          help!

          I wanted to mention that I am looking for people to teach *at* the Slavic U.
          Are you planning on coming? Because your claass would be a great addition.

          From the co-autocrat of the Slavic U. :)
          --
          Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
          "Most people live their lives as if they had another one in the bank" - Ben

        • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 11 1:47 AM
            > You're Russian? Excellent. *rubs hands*
            >
            > Have you been to the SIG Russian Knowledge Pages yet?
            > What period are you?
            >
            > Sofya

            Um. Not Russian. I'm in the process getting my 15th century Polish name
            passed. I just think the Russian stuff looks funky. They seem to have
            better headwear than anyone else.
            Rosie
            *sheepishly admitting she has an over large store of curiousity and
            enthusiasm*
          • L.M. Kies
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 11 4:23 PM

              *laugh*

              Fair enough. "Nawojka" didn't look Russian, but you were so interested, I looked it up and "Nawoj" is listed in Wickenden's Dictionary of Russian Names so I thought you might be Russian after all.

              The easy answer for you, if you want an outfit to go with a fancy Russian hat, is to make an easy Russian letnik. It is my understanding that it is completely different than the Polish letnik, but Magdalena is the real expert on that question.

              Here's what I know:
              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC3.html

              And here's what I did with it (about 1/3 down the page):
              http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/wardrobe.html

              Be careful, though. I originally intended to have just one Russian outfit, too. ;-)

              Sofya

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 12 7:17 AM
                --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

                > Be careful, though. I originally intended to have
                > just one Russian outfit, too. ;-)
                >
                > Sofya

                ROTFL! That's what they all say....

                --Sfandra
                --who's influenced 4 people to go Russian to date.....

                ******************
                Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
                Haus Von Drakenklaue
                Kingdom of the East
                ******************
                Never 'pearl' your butt.

                Need a vacation? Get great deals
                to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                http://travel.yahoo.com/
              • magdalenag56
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 12 1:47 PM
                  Thank you for the compliment Sofya.

                  Nawojka, I will pull pictures of some of my favorite items and send
                  them to you. I agree that our Russian "sisters" have some amazing
                  headresses but Polish women throughout history also used pearls
                  especially in decorating their clothing.

                  One of the first clothing items I just had to have was a late period
                  hat, trimmed in fur and feathers and now I have it. Have you read Pan
                  Zygmunt's information on clothing? I have never told them but Pan
                  Zygmunt and Sofya were two of my first "resources" and I almost went
                  Russian.

                  If you email me privately I can send you those pictures.

                  Magdalena
                • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 13 1:52 AM
                    > If you email me privately I can send you those pictures.
                    > Magdalena

                    Please!!
                    It's destiny. I'm meant to have that fur hat you
                    mentioned. A friend is running an event next month and
                    there's a competition for a fur item. I really want to
                    support her event and have been agonising over my
                    entry! Can I use black fur? Because that's what I've
                    got.
                    Rosie/Nawojka
                    Lochac
                    P.S Couldn't email you, it kept bouncing.