Fabulous reconstruction of 10th c. Russian costume

  • Kseniia Smolnianina
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2007
      This is in Russian, but there are lots of pictures.

      http://archcostume.narod.ru/pasport.htm

      The author seems to have done a ton of research; all of her sources
      are listed out. The costume is based on the archaeological
      excavations at Gnezdovo. She wove her own fabric, used natural dyes,
      and in some cases (embroidery) spun her own thread.

      I'll try to get around to translating one of these days, but if anyone
      has any specific questions, please ask.

      --Kseniia

      PS - If you go back to http://archcostume.narod.ru/ and start clicking
      around links, you'll get some other photos (on the right) and drawings
      (on the left) of reconstructed outfits .

      --
      **********************************
      Kseniia Smolnianina, JdL
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2007
        That is *awesome* - good thing my dictionaries are sitting next to the computer, LOL.
        Thanks for posting!
        Susanna

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Kseniia Smolnianina" <kseniia@...> wrote:

        > This is in Russian, but there are lots of pictures.
        >
        > http://archcostume.narod.ru/pasport.htm
        >
        > The author seems to have done a ton of research; all of her sources
        > are listed out. The costume is based on the archaeological
        > excavations at Gnezdovo. She wove her own fabric, used natural dyes,
        > and in some cases (embroidery) spun her own thread.
        >
        > I'll try to get around to translating one of these days, but if anyone
        > has any specific questions, please ask.
        >
        > --Kseniia
        >
        > PS - If you go back to http://archcostume.narod.ru/ and start clicking
        > around links, you'll get some other photos (on the right) and drawings
        > (on the left) of reconstructed outfits .
        >
        > --
        > Kseniia Smolnianina, JdL
        > Barony of Three Mountains
        > Kingdom of An Tir

      • JoAnna Buxton
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2007
          This was wonderful! Babel Fish seems to have done a decent job translating, just a bit of fine tuning necessary.
          Thanks for sharing!
          Aleksandra
          (also An Tir)