So, The Slavic University needs your talent and classes!

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 6, 2007
      Fellow SIG members!
      The true strength of the SCA in general and SIG in
      particular is the free flow of knowledge and ideas!
      Both are stronger and each of us as individuals better
      than we were before as participants, researchers,
      artisans and teachers. Its literally the highest
      ideals of the SCA and SIG in action!!! And in the
      Slavic University we have a forum to do exactly this
      and shine and the next one will probably be out West!

      Can anyone think of a more perfect oppurtunity to
      spread your knowledge and artistry throughout the
      Known World? To say nothing of the boost in reknown
      for your craft? The very first Slavic University is a
      milestone and the folks who show their talents and
      research will rightfully be remembered!

      As an ambitious apprentice (which I was) I would have
      leapt at an oppurtunity like this! Plus, I just like
      talking shop and teaching folks! This is your
      chance...will you let it pass by?
      'dok

    • Liudmila V
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 7, 2007
        Hi 'dok,
        and by the way -- thank you for congratulations. Until we have the Slavic University over in our end of the known world, I can only offer online classes.I wonder if anyone would care to do that...

        Liudmila

        In a message dated 09/06/07 05:55:17 Pacific Daylight Time, mordakus@... writes:
[...]

      • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 9, 2007
          > and by the way -- thank you for congratulations. Until we have the
          Slavic University over in our end of the known world, I can only offer
          online classes.I wonder if anyone would care to do that...

          What classes? How? I will learn anything anyone is willing to teach me!
          Rosie-in the middle of nowhere
        • L.M. Kies
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 9, 2007
            Middle of nowhere?

            There are quite a few of us who live there. Almost all of the Kingdom of Calontir, for example. ;-)

            Sofya

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 9, 2007
              In a message dated 09/09/07 17:15:29 Pacific Daylight Time, Rosie_0801@... writes:
              What classes? How? I will learn anything anyone is willing to teach me!

              I would need to work out how, but I do have some online teaching experience with my mundane job. What? Pearl embroidery and/or Russian women's headwear, probably. What I was thinking of was perhaps an embroidery class, where I would walk students through a project and they would post photos of their work as it goes on and ask for advise.
              Liudmila
              www.sca-russian.com

            • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 10, 2007
                >What? Pearl embroidery and/or Russian women's headwear, probably. What
                I was thinking of was perhaps an embroidery class, where I would walk
                students through a project and they would post photos of their work as
                it goes on and ask for advise.

                Cool! I've never tried pearl embroidery and Russian women's headwear
                would be really really cool, providing I could find out what outfit
                goes with it!
                :)
                Rosie
                The middle of nowhere being Central Victoria, Au; with only 4 other
                SCAers (2 being newbies and the other 2 my relatives.)
              • L.M. Kies
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 10, 2007
                  You're Russian? Excellent. *rubs hands*

                  There is a lot of information on-line about Russian garb (including Liudmila's pearl embroidery technique). And there are lots of people here who can answer questions if there's something you don't understand.

                  Have you been to the SIG Russian Knowledge Pages yet?
                  What period are you?

                  Sofya

                • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 10, 2007
                    <<I would need to work out how, but I do have some online teaching
                    experience with my mundane job. What? Pearl embroidery and/or Russian
                    women's headwear, probably. What I was thinking of was perhaps an embroidery
                    class, where I would walk students through a project and they would post
                    photos of their work as it goes on and ask for advise.
                    Liudmila
                    www.sca-russian.com>>

                    Liudmila,

                    This is a great idea. In fact, once I get back up to speed, I can link to
                    your site from mine (http://www.plcommonwealth.org), and I can put a blurb
                    up on my site advetising this new online teaching method. That's a great
                    help!

                    I wanted to mention that I am looking for people to teach *at* the Slavic U.
                    Are you planning on coming? Because your claass would be a great addition.

                    From the co-autocrat of the Slavic U. :)
                    --
                    Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                    "Most people live their lives as if they had another one in the bank" - Ben

                  • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 11, 2007
                      > You're Russian? Excellent. *rubs hands*
                      >
                      > Have you been to the SIG Russian Knowledge Pages yet?
                      > What period are you?
                      >
                      > Sofya

                      Um. Not Russian. I'm in the process getting my 15th century Polish name
                      passed. I just think the Russian stuff looks funky. They seem to have
                      better headwear than anyone else.
                      Rosie
                      *sheepishly admitting she has an over large store of curiousity and
                      enthusiasm*
                    • L.M. Kies
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 11, 2007

                        *laugh*

                        Fair enough. "Nawojka" didn't look Russian, but you were so interested, I looked it up and "Nawoj" is listed in Wickenden's Dictionary of Russian Names so I thought you might be Russian after all.

                        The easy answer for you, if you want an outfit to go with a fancy Russian hat, is to make an easy Russian letnik. It is my understanding that it is completely different than the Polish letnik, but Magdalena is the real expert on that question.

                        Here's what I know:
                        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC3.html

                        And here's what I did with it (about 1/3 down the page):
                        http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/wardrobe.html

                        Be careful, though. I originally intended to have just one Russian outfit, too. ;-)

                        Sofya

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 12, 2007
                          --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

                          > Be careful, though. I originally intended to have
                          > just one Russian outfit, too. ;-)
                          >
                          > Sofya

                          ROTFL! That's what they all say....

                          --Sfandra
                          --who's influenced 4 people to go Russian to date.....

                          ******************
                          Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
                          Haus Von Drakenklaue
                          Kingdom of the East
                          ******************
                          Never 'pearl' your butt.

                          Need a vacation? Get great deals
                          to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                          http://travel.yahoo.com/
                        • magdalenag56
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 12, 2007
                            Thank you for the compliment Sofya.

                            Nawojka, I will pull pictures of some of my favorite items and send
                            them to you. I agree that our Russian "sisters" have some amazing
                            headresses but Polish women throughout history also used pearls
                            especially in decorating their clothing.

                            One of the first clothing items I just had to have was a late period
                            hat, trimmed in fur and feathers and now I have it. Have you read Pan
                            Zygmunt's information on clothing? I have never told them but Pan
                            Zygmunt and Sofya were two of my first "resources" and I almost went
                            Russian.

                            If you email me privately I can send you those pictures.

                            Magdalena
                          • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 13, 2007
                              > If you email me privately I can send you those pictures.
                              > Magdalena

                              Please!!
                              It's destiny. I'm meant to have that fur hat you
                              mentioned. A friend is running an event next month and
                              there's a competition for a fur item. I really want to
                              support her event and have been agonising over my
                              entry! Can I use black fur? Because that's what I've
                              got.
                              Rosie/Nawojka
                              Lochac
                              P.S Couldn't email you, it kept bouncing.