RE: [sig] SLUMmin'

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 5, 2007
      It's still a pretty short list of classes, but here you go:

      Classes:
      Fancy Shmancy Russian Garb. Master Mordok Rostovskogo (Midrealm) & Lady Sofia la Rus (Calontir)
      Easy Breezy Russian Garb. Master Mordok Rostovskogo (Midrealm) & Lady Sofia la Rus (Calontir) .
      Russian Naming Practices. THL Paul Wickenden of Thanet, Jararvellir (Northshield): .
      How to wear & make a zupan; 'Yestem Szlachta', How to be Polish in the current Middle Ages OR The clothing of the movie 'With Fire & Sword'. Warder Zygmunt Nadratowski

      http://www.midrealm.org/talonvale/sigslum.html

      Sofya

      Is there a list of classes lined up for Slavic U. as of this time? I lost
      the event website and haven't been able to check it.

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 6, 2007
        Fellow SIG members!
        The true strength of the SCA in general and SIG in
        particular is the free flow of knowledge and ideas!
        Both are stronger and each of us as individuals better
        than we were before as participants, researchers,
        artisans and teachers. Its literally the highest
        ideals of the SCA and SIG in action!!! And in the
        Slavic University we have a forum to do exactly this
        and shine and the next one will probably be out West!

        Can anyone think of a more perfect oppurtunity to
        spread your knowledge and artistry throughout the
        Known World? To say nothing of the boost in reknown
        for your craft? The very first Slavic University is a
        milestone and the folks who show their talents and
        research will rightfully be remembered!

        As an ambitious apprentice (which I was) I would have
        leapt at an oppurtunity like this! Plus, I just like
        talking shop and teaching folks! This is your
        chance...will you let it pass by?
        'dok

      • Liudmila V
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 7, 2007
          Hi 'dok,
          and by the way -- thank you for congratulations. Until we have the Slavic University over in our end of the known world, I can only offer online classes.I wonder if anyone would care to do that...

          Liudmila

          In a message dated 09/06/07 05:55:17 Pacific Daylight Time, mordakus@... writes:
[...]

        • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 9, 2007
            > and by the way -- thank you for congratulations. Until we have the
            Slavic University over in our end of the known world, I can only offer
            online classes.I wonder if anyone would care to do that...

            What classes? How? I will learn anything anyone is willing to teach me!
            Rosie-in the middle of nowhere
          • L.M. Kies
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 9, 2007
              Middle of nowhere?

              There are quite a few of us who live there. Almost all of the Kingdom of Calontir, for example. ;-)

              Sofya

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 9, 2007
                In a message dated 09/09/07 17:15:29 Pacific Daylight Time, Rosie_0801@... writes:
                What classes? How? I will learn anything anyone is willing to teach me!

                I would need to work out how, but I do have some online teaching experience with my mundane job. What? Pearl embroidery and/or Russian women's headwear, probably. What I was thinking of was perhaps an embroidery class, where I would walk students through a project and they would post photos of their work as it goes on and ask for advise.
                Liudmila
                www.sca-russian.com

              • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 10, 2007
                  >What? Pearl embroidery and/or Russian women's headwear, probably. What
                  I was thinking of was perhaps an embroidery class, where I would walk
                  students through a project and they would post photos of their work as
                  it goes on and ask for advise.

                  Cool! I've never tried pearl embroidery and Russian women's headwear
                  would be really really cool, providing I could find out what outfit
                  goes with it!
                  :)
                  Rosie
                  The middle of nowhere being Central Victoria, Au; with only 4 other
                  SCAers (2 being newbies and the other 2 my relatives.)
                • L.M. Kies
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 10, 2007
                    You're Russian? Excellent. *rubs hands*

                    There is a lot of information on-line about Russian garb (including Liudmila's pearl embroidery technique). And there are lots of people here who can answer questions if there's something you don't understand.

                    Have you been to the SIG Russian Knowledge Pages yet?
                    What period are you?

                    Sofya

                  • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 10, 2007
                      <<I would need to work out how, but I do have some online teaching
                      experience with my mundane job. What? Pearl embroidery and/or Russian
                      women's headwear, probably. What I was thinking of was perhaps an embroidery
                      class, where I would walk students through a project and they would post
                      photos of their work as it goes on and ask for advise.
                      Liudmila
                      www.sca-russian.com>>

                      Liudmila,

                      This is a great idea. In fact, once I get back up to speed, I can link to
                      your site from mine (http://www.plcommonwealth.org), and I can put a blurb
                      up on my site advetising this new online teaching method. That's a great
                      help!

                      I wanted to mention that I am looking for people to teach *at* the Slavic U.
                      Are you planning on coming? Because your claass would be a great addition.

                      From the co-autocrat of the Slavic U. :)
                      --
                      Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                      "Most people live their lives as if they had another one in the bank" - Ben

                    • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 11, 2007
                        > You're Russian? Excellent. *rubs hands*
                        >
                        > Have you been to the SIG Russian Knowledge Pages yet?
                        > What period are you?
                        >
                        > Sofya

                        Um. Not Russian. I'm in the process getting my 15th century Polish name
                        passed. I just think the Russian stuff looks funky. They seem to have
                        better headwear than anyone else.
                        Rosie
                        *sheepishly admitting she has an over large store of curiousity and
                        enthusiasm*
                      • L.M. Kies
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 11, 2007

                          *laugh*

                          Fair enough. "Nawojka" didn't look Russian, but you were so interested, I looked it up and "Nawoj" is listed in Wickenden's Dictionary of Russian Names so I thought you might be Russian after all.

                          The easy answer for you, if you want an outfit to go with a fancy Russian hat, is to make an easy Russian letnik. It is my understanding that it is completely different than the Polish letnik, but Magdalena is the real expert on that question.

                          Here's what I know:
                          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/KWC3.html

                          And here's what I did with it (about 1/3 down the page):
                          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/wardrobe.html

                          Be careful, though. I originally intended to have just one Russian outfit, too. ;-)

                          Sofya

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 12, 2007
                            --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

                            > Be careful, though. I originally intended to have
                            > just one Russian outfit, too. ;-)
                            >
                            > Sofya

                            ROTFL! That's what they all say....

                            --Sfandra
                            --who's influenced 4 people to go Russian to date.....

                            ******************
                            Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
                            Haus Von Drakenklaue
                            Kingdom of the East
                            ******************
                            Never 'pearl' your butt.

                            Need a vacation? Get great deals
                            to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
                            http://travel.yahoo.com/
                          • magdalenag56
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 12, 2007
                              Thank you for the compliment Sofya.

                              Nawojka, I will pull pictures of some of my favorite items and send
                              them to you. I agree that our Russian "sisters" have some amazing
                              headresses but Polish women throughout history also used pearls
                              especially in decorating their clothing.

                              One of the first clothing items I just had to have was a late period
                              hat, trimmed in fur and feathers and now I have it. Have you read Pan
                              Zygmunt's information on clothing? I have never told them but Pan
                              Zygmunt and Sofya were two of my first "resources" and I almost went
                              Russian.

                              If you email me privately I can send you those pictures.

                              Magdalena
                            • Rosie (aka Nawojka)
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 13, 2007
                                > If you email me privately I can send you those pictures.
                                > Magdalena

                                Please!!
                                It's destiny. I'm meant to have that fur hat you
                                mentioned. A friend is running an event next month and
                                there's a competition for a fur item. I really want to
                                support her event and have been agonising over my
                                entry! Can I use black fur? Because that's what I've
                                got.
                                Rosie/Nawojka
                                Lochac
                                P.S Couldn't email you, it kept bouncing.