Re: [sig] Pennsic?

    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
      --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:
      > I haven't heard anything about Pennsic this year.
      > Is there any news
      > of the SIG gathering or other Slavic stuff?
      >
      > -- Paul

      The SIG Roundtable, I thought, was fun. We had about
      10 people. I brought water and pierogies, and had fun
      feeding people (cookin' in the rain, woo hoo!).

      One gentleman, who's name I didn't catch, sang us a
      lovely song, a folk blessing i believe it was, in
      Ukrainian.

      Michael of Safia came with extra handouts from his
      Russian Archeology 101 class. I have a copy, and will
      see if Michael will let me scan it into our Files.

      One Micholai, a polish-persona young man from the
      East, was our "newbie" of the day, and he should be
      joining the List here soon.

      In other news, I was delighted with the turnout for my
      first time teaching at Pennsic. I had over 30 for my
      Kievan Garb class, and I'm thinking next year I might
      put together a full Kievan Curricula, since I had far
      more fun teaching than I did fighting this year
      (Tuesday! Oy vey!). If anyone here on the list took
      any of my 3 classes, I'd love some feedback on how I
      did! Just shoot me a note privately. The Shopping
      Class was much fun, for the Merchants as well as the
      students. ArabBoy had no idea that glass bracelets
      were period for Russia too! And as a note: I recieved
      NO preference, discounts or anything from the
      Merchants we visited. I and some others had taken
      Luceta's class on the folkloric meanings of Ukrainian
      Embroidery, and we were excited to find trim at
      Calontir Trim that had the same designs that Luceta
      taught. I didn't get to anyone else's classes,
      unfortunately, because of household obligations, but I
      have Plans for next Pennsic. :D

      I thought it was a great Pennsic, despite the weather.

      Cheers,
      Sfandra Dmitrieva

      ******************
      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
      Haus Von Drakenklaue
      Kingdom of the East
      ******************
      Never 'pearl' your butt.

    • Marilyn
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
        Sfandra hosted a very nice discussion group this year. ( Our Thank You's to
        her!) She even procured some excellent pirougies
        And cooked them at the meeting! ( In the rain even.) I didn't get an exact
        count on attendance but around 20 is probably a reasonable guess.

        Marija

      • Patoodle@aol.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
          I'm sorry I missed the SIG meeting this year! I had to go "into town" mundanely to buy dinner supplies for my camp, and when I got back to camp to drop off the purchases, it was already past 3 p.m. and it was raining, and I just needed to chill out for a bit before starting in on my "cooking night."

          But I did really enjoy Sfandra's Kievan Garb class. Yeah, my persona is Lithuanian and not Rus, but a gal's gotta wear *something*....

          Also at Pennsic, I spent $70 on a book that I can't read because it's all in Lithuanian (except for 10 pages in Russian and 2 pages in English). But that will have to be a separate post, because I left the book at home and I'm now at work.

          Best wishes,
          Lady Patricia of Trakai

          Sfandra hosted a very nice discussion group this year. ( Our Thank You's to
          her!) She even procured some excellent pirougies
          And cooked them at the meeting! ( In the rain even.) I didn't get an exact
          count on attendance but around 20 is probably a reasonable guess.

          Marija

        • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
            On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 07:17:30AM -0700, Sfandra wrote:
            > --- Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:
            > > I haven't heard anything about Pennsic this year.
            > > Is there any news
            > > of the SIG gathering or other Slavic stuff?

            Many thanks to Sfandra for hosting the gathering this year. It was a
            great deal of fun!

          • karen
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 23, 2007
              I had the pleasure of catching Sfandra's kievan garb class, which I
              must say was wonderful! Sadly I couldn't get out of camp for the
              meeting. Many thanks to Sfandra for all of her hard work!

              Kashka
            • Gloryanna MacKee
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 24, 2007
                I regret I wasn't able to make it to any of the classes or the meeting, My
                babysitting duties kept me away from the classes and then for them meeting,
                I was busy packing so we could leave the next day.

                They only class I was able to make was a 16th Century Ottoman Embroidery
                class, which I loved. Learned to sew with Silk and Gold thread...

                Though it rained a lot, I really did enjoy pennsic, it was a break from the
                real world and when I went back into it, and had to stop at a gas station
                where all the alarms were going off, people talking on speakers, music
                blaring, I wanted to turn around and go back to the continual drums and the
                constant mud.

                Gloryanna

                >From: "karen" <kievanlady@...>
                >To: sig@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [sig] Re: Pennsic?
                >Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 02:54:05 -0000
                >
                >I had the pleasure of catching Sfandra's kievan garb class, which I
                >must say was wonderful! Sadly I couldn't get out of camp for the
                >meeting. Many thanks to Sfandra for all of her hard work!
                >
                >Kashka

                Puzzles, trivia teasers, word scrambles and more. Play for your chance to
                win! http://club.live.com/home.aspx?icid=CLUB_hotmailtextlink
              • Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 24, 2007
                  Sfandra's Pierogi's were yummy!

                  I handed out a bunch of flyers for the Slavic University -
                  http://www.midrealm.org/talonvale/sigslum.html.

                  I still need more teachers!
                  --
                  Pan Zygmunt Nadratowski
                  "Most people live their lives as if they had another one in the bank" - Ben

                  Servant of His Majesty Sir Dag Thorgrimsson and Master Mordok Rostovskogo

                • Paul W Goldschmidt
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 1, 2011
                    I'm starting to put together the Fall Slovo and realizing that I have
                    nothing at all about Pennsic in it. Was there a gathering? Does
                    anyone have pictures? Does anyone want to write a brief about it?

                    -- Paul
                  • Pavel
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 9, 2011
                      Yea, dunno, heard one was planned, but I was only there mid war week this year and it was on Monday.

                      btw, and this would be to the whole sig list, what are all the slavic households that do show up pennsics, or sca events. I have heard of the slavic village, but am wondering if there are any others.

                      Thanks,
                      pawel/jarnhauss

                      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, Paul W Goldschmidt <goldschp@...> wrote:

                      > I'm starting to put together the Fall Slovo and realizing that I have
                      > nothing at all about Pennsic in it. Was there a gathering? Does
                      > anyone have pictures? Does anyone want to write a brief about it?
                      >
                      > -- Paul

                    • goldschp tds.net
                      Message 10 of 17 , May 10, 2014
                        Any word about a gathering at Pennsic this year?

                        Paul