embroidered icons

  • magdalenag56
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 18, 2007
      On the Ubrus site there is a picture of an embroidered icon. The only
      information I've found on embroidered icons says they were actual late
      developments and probably out of the SCA time frame. But then again, I
      don't read Russian ;-).

      If anyone can point me to embroidered icons prior to the 1600's I'd
      really appreciate it.

      YIS
      Magdalena Gdanska
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 18, 2007
        Actually, the Zagorsk Museum has sever pre-16th C
        embroiderede funerary cloyhs, sewn from silk. Then
        there are the vestments evryone knows about! They're
        iconic but mot icons.
        'dok
        --- magdalenag56 <magdalenag56@...> wrote:

        > On the Ubrus site there is a picture of an
        > embroidered icon. The only
        > information I've found on embroidered icons says
        > they were actual late
        > developments and probably out of the SCA time frame.
        > But then again, I
        > don't read Russian ;-).
        >
        > If anyone can point me to embroidered icons prior to
        > the 1600's I'd
        > really appreciate it.
        >
        > YIS
        > Magdalena Gdanska

        http://sims.yahoo.com/
      • magdalenag56
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 19, 2007
          Thank you good Sir. Yes I am familiar with the vestments. I have wanted
          to do an embroidered icon since seeing them in the Novgorod exhibit in
          Baltimore. I'm going to a rock and gem show today and will be looking
          for pearls as well as other gems.

          YIS
          Magdalena
        • Paul W Goldschmidt
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 19, 2007
            There was also a very nice article about embroidered icons in Slovo
            (#40-42) for those who missed it:

            http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/slovo/news40.html

            -- Paul

            At 07:00 AM 8/19/2007, you wrote:
            >Thank you good Sir. Yes I am familiar with the vestments. I have wanted
            >to do an embroidered icon since seeing them in the Novgorod exhibit in
            >Baltimore. I'm going to a rock and gem show today and will be looking
            >for pearls as well as other gems.
            >
            >YIS
            >Magdalena
          • Shannon Anderson
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 24, 2008
              In AS 3, Wed Aug 6th at 10am.

              I'm sorry I won't be there to, as promised, jump up and down if you bring a period dish/drink to share. But I will jump up and down when I hear of your generous contribution!

              I will miss you guys...

              Margarita

            • Marilee Humason
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 11, 2008
                I can't get onto the ubrus pdf's I can get on the website itself but when I click on the individual items and try to get the articles it just wont come up.
                is there anything I can do, or did anyone copy the articles and can send them to me? I wanted the one about old embroidery with instructions and diagrams and the like.
                thanks,

                There is a fine line between sharing dreams and enabling illusion.

                Shadenfroid: the pathetic joy you shamelessly get from the misery of others.

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 12, 2008
                  Greetings from Sofya!

                  I'm having trouble getting into the articles also. I did manage to save a copy of the Pre-Mongol Embroidery article and I have just put it on my webpage.

                  http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Garb/katasonova.pdf

                  At your service,

                  Sofya

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 13, 2008
                    Thanks so much!! I appreciate at least having that one!!
                    regards,