RE: [sig] Pre-Mongolian Embroidery article

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 18, 2007
      Excellent. It looks like a lot of the embroidery is the same as the sketches in Kolchin's Drevnyaya Rus: Byt i Kul'tura. But with more detailed illustrations and, presumably, descriptions!

      I just love your timing, though. I was starting a big medical research project, and now I have to go back to Russian stuff! I can't get away from it! ;-)

      Oh, and I just posted a translation of the Pskov fabric article on my webpage. (My previous unexpected distraction.)
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PskovTranslation.html

      Sofya

      >Hello everyone,
      >I found this treasure throve last night: http://ubrus.spb.ru/old/katasonova.pdf

    • magdalenag56
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 18, 2007
        On the Ubrus site there is a picture of an embroidered icon. The only
        information I've found on embroidered icons says they were actual late
        developments and probably out of the SCA time frame. But then again, I
        don't read Russian ;-).

        If anyone can point me to embroidered icons prior to the 1600's I'd
        really appreciate it.

        YIS
        Magdalena Gdanska
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 18, 2007
          Actually, the Zagorsk Museum has sever pre-16th C
          embroiderede funerary cloyhs, sewn from silk. Then
          there are the vestments evryone knows about! They're
          iconic but mot icons.
          'dok
          --- magdalenag56 <magdalenag56@...> wrote:

          > On the Ubrus site there is a picture of an
          > embroidered icon. The only
          > information I've found on embroidered icons says
          > they were actual late
          > developments and probably out of the SCA time frame.
          > But then again, I
          > don't read Russian ;-).
          >
          > If anyone can point me to embroidered icons prior to
          > the 1600's I'd
          > really appreciate it.
          >
          > YIS
          > Magdalena Gdanska

          http://sims.yahoo.com/
        • magdalenag56
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 19, 2007
            Thank you good Sir. Yes I am familiar with the vestments. I have wanted
            to do an embroidered icon since seeing them in the Novgorod exhibit in
            Baltimore. I'm going to a rock and gem show today and will be looking
            for pearls as well as other gems.

            YIS
            Magdalena
          • Paul W Goldschmidt
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 19, 2007
              There was also a very nice article about embroidered icons in Slovo
              (#40-42) for those who missed it:

              http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/slovo/news40.html

              -- Paul

              At 07:00 AM 8/19/2007, you wrote:
              >Thank you good Sir. Yes I am familiar with the vestments. I have wanted
              >to do an embroidered icon since seeing them in the Novgorod exhibit in
              >Baltimore. I'm going to a rock and gem show today and will be looking
              >for pearls as well as other gems.
              >
              >YIS
              >Magdalena
            • Shannon Anderson
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 24 8:30 PM
                In AS 3, Wed Aug 6th at 10am.

                I'm sorry I won't be there to, as promised, jump up and down if you bring a period dish/drink to share. But I will jump up and down when I hear of your generous contribution!

                I will miss you guys...

                Margarita

              • Marilee Humason
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 11, 2008
                  I can't get onto the ubrus pdf's I can get on the website itself but when I click on the individual items and try to get the articles it just wont come up.
                  is there anything I can do, or did anyone copy the articles and can send them to me? I wanted the one about old embroidery with instructions and diagrams and the like.
                  thanks,

                  There is a fine line between sharing dreams and enabling illusion.

                  Shadenfroid: the pathetic joy you shamelessly get from the misery of others.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 12, 2008
                    Greetings from Sofya!

                    I'm having trouble getting into the articles also. I did manage to save a copy of the Pre-Mongol Embroidery article and I have just put it on my webpage.

                    http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Garb/katasonova.pdf

                    At your service,

                    Sofya

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 13, 2008
                      Thanks so much!! I appreciate at least having that one!!
                      regards,