Re: [sig] Medieval artifacts

  • Melanie Peters
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 17, 2007
      All across the areas occupied by the Nazi forces things 'disappeared'. I
      remember learning about it when I lived in Russia from my tutors in St.
      Petersburg. The one disappearance that always comes to my mind, although not
      mediaeval, is the Amber Room from the Summer Palace outside St.
      Petersburg...

      Emy

      On 17/08/07, magdalenag56 <magdalenag56@...> wrote:

      > In my reading I often come across the fact that alot of things in
      > Poland (and I'm sure in other countries as well) "disappeared" during
      > WWII. Sometimes I get the feeling from others, okay, non-eastern
      > Europeans, that they don't realize how widespread the plundering of
      > artifacts was. Hopefully the artifacts are forgotten in some warehouse
      > and weren't destroyed.
      >
      > Magdalena
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • jennifer knox
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 17, 2007
        Alot of them are in Swiss bank safes right now, actually, but the EU governments and museums have no right to demand the safes be opened. This causes some problems from time to time :-)
        Anya

        Melanie Peters <melanie@...> wrote:
        All across the areas occupied by the Nazi forces things 'disappeared'. I
        remember learning about it when I lived in Russia from my tutors in St.
        Petersburg. The one disappearance that always comes to my mind, although not
        mediaeval, is the Amber Room from the Summer Palace outside St.
        Petersburg...

        Emy

        On 17/08/07, magdalenag56 <magdalenag56@...> wrote:

        > In my reading I often come across the fact that alot of things in
        > Poland (and I'm sure in other countries as well) "disappeared" during
        > WWII. Sometimes I get the feeling from others, okay, non-eastern
        > Europeans, that they don't realize how widespread the plundering of
        > artifacts was. Hopefully the artifacts are forgotten in some warehouse
        > and weren't destroyed.
        >
        > Magdalena
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        "We must judge men not so much by what they do, as by what they make us feel that they have it in them to do." --Samuel Butler

      • Liudmila V
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 18, 2007
          Hello everyone,
          I found this treasure throve last night: http://ubrus.spb.ru/old/katasonova.pdf
          It is a scholarly article in Russian, with many photos and diagrams. If you don't read Russian, you should be able to match pictures to captions for the dates (Russians use Roman numerals for centuries). I have not been through it is detail yet, but most finds seem to be standing collars.

          If you read Russian at least well enough to navigate, this site: http://ubrus.ru is a great source of material on Russian embroidery. It is a site of a school and workshop in St. Petersburg that produces church embroideries and church embroiderers, in the old style.

          Liudmila

        • L.M. Kies
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 18, 2007
            Excellent. It looks like a lot of the embroidery is the same as the sketches in Kolchin's Drevnyaya Rus: Byt i Kul'tura. But with more detailed illustrations and, presumably, descriptions!

            I just love your timing, though. I was starting a big medical research project, and now I have to go back to Russian stuff! I can't get away from it! ;-)

            Oh, and I just posted a translation of the Pskov fabric article on my webpage. (My previous unexpected distraction.)
            http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/PskovTranslation.html

            Sofya

            >Hello everyone,
            >I found this treasure throve last night: http://ubrus.spb.ru/old/katasonova.pdf

          • magdalenag56
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 18, 2007
              On the Ubrus site there is a picture of an embroidered icon. The only
              information I've found on embroidered icons says they were actual late
              developments and probably out of the SCA time frame. But then again, I
              don't read Russian ;-).

              If anyone can point me to embroidered icons prior to the 1600's I'd
              really appreciate it.

              YIS
              Magdalena Gdanska
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 18, 2007
                Actually, the Zagorsk Museum has sever pre-16th C
                embroiderede funerary cloyhs, sewn from silk. Then
                there are the vestments evryone knows about! They're
                iconic but mot icons.
                'dok
                --- magdalenag56 <magdalenag56@...> wrote:

                > On the Ubrus site there is a picture of an
                > embroidered icon. The only
                > information I've found on embroidered icons says
                > they were actual late
                > developments and probably out of the SCA time frame.
                > But then again, I
                > don't read Russian ;-).
                >
                > If anyone can point me to embroidered icons prior to
                > the 1600's I'd
                > really appreciate it.
                >
                > YIS
                > Magdalena Gdanska

                http://sims.yahoo.com/
              • magdalenag56
                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 19, 2007
                  Thank you good Sir. Yes I am familiar with the vestments. I have wanted
                  to do an embroidered icon since seeing them in the Novgorod exhibit in
                  Baltimore. I'm going to a rock and gem show today and will be looking
                  for pearls as well as other gems.

                  YIS
                  Magdalena
                • Paul W Goldschmidt
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 19, 2007
                    There was also a very nice article about embroidered icons in Slovo
                    (#40-42) for those who missed it:

                    http://www.goldschp.net/SIG/slovo/news40.html

                    -- Paul

                    At 07:00 AM 8/19/2007, you wrote:
                    >Thank you good Sir. Yes I am familiar with the vestments. I have wanted
                    >to do an embroidered icon since seeing them in the Novgorod exhibit in
                    >Baltimore. I'm going to a rock and gem show today and will be looking
                    >for pearls as well as other gems.
                    >
                    >YIS
                    >Magdalena
                  • Shannon Anderson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 24, 2008
                      In AS 3, Wed Aug 6th at 10am.

                      I'm sorry I won't be there to, as promised, jump up and down if you bring a period dish/drink to share. But I will jump up and down when I hear of your generous contribution!

                      I will miss you guys...

                      Margarita

                    • Marilee Humason
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 11, 2008
                        I can't get onto the ubrus pdf's I can get on the website itself but when I click on the individual items and try to get the articles it just wont come up.
                        is there anything I can do, or did anyone copy the articles and can send them to me? I wanted the one about old embroidery with instructions and diagrams and the like.
                        thanks,

                        There is a fine line between sharing dreams and enabling illusion.

                        Shadenfroid: the pathetic joy you shamelessly get from the misery of others.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 12, 2008
                          Greetings from Sofya!

                          I'm having trouble getting into the articles also. I did manage to save a copy of the Pre-Mongol Embroidery article and I have just put it on my webpage.

                          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser/Russia/Garb/katasonova.pdf

                          At your service,

                          Sofya

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 13, 2008
                            Thanks so much!! I appreciate at least having that one!!
                            regards,