Pennsic Thanks and Movie info:

  • Marilyn Kinyon
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2007
      First I wanted to Thank Sfandra for hosting rhe SIG meeting at
      Pennsic in spite of all trhe rain ! The Perogi's she went out of her
      way to find and cook ( at the meeting ) for us were VERY good!

      I ptomised to post a list of the SIG related movies I know of that
      Netflix offers...so here goes:

      With Fire and Sword: 2sets of 2 discs each..

      The Deluge: 2 sets of 2-Discs -- by the same author

      Colonel Wolodyjowski: Also by the same author as the two above.

      The Hexer: Very interesting fantasy movie based in medieval times.
      This has some interesting background content that may be help in
      persona development and some nice sword work.

      Andrei Rublev: This movie won some awards but I find it very
      disjointed. It is a recreation of some of his life ( he was a famous
      artist). It shows how artisans went from area to area where they
      could get work, the conditions they worked under,etc.

      Janosik_ A tongue in cheek TV series that was done based on the tales
      of Janosik and his band of mountain raiders. It is a bit Robin
      Hood'ish except for the ending. Very funny at times and has some
      interesting culturally related content.

      Treasures of Hermitage: Disc 1 (2-Disc Series) ( In Russian)
      This is a virtual tour of some of the museums asseets.

      Pan Tadeusz (1999)

      Alexander Nevsky

      Thay also have some Russian Fairy tales.

      If you are looking for something special search it there..they may
      have it. They have some good Russian, Polish, Serbo-Croat, and Czech
      films.

      Marija Kotok
    • Rod Giffin
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2007
        There is a new movie almost SIG related.

        The movie "Nomad The Warrior" was released on DVD for North America on
        July 25th. It has smatterings of good depictions of nomadic life
        among the Kazakh. It was produced by the Ministry of Culture of
        Kazakhstan ("Kazakhfilm")

        The story itself is out of period, from the early 18th C (1710-1736)
        about Mansur Abali Khan's struggle with a Mongol tribal invasion, and
        the way in which he brought together the Kazakh tribes and formed the
        first true Kazakh nation (Kazakhia, which was absorbed into the
        Russian empire later in the century, but that's not part of the
        story). The movie supposedly has a dubbed English sound track, but I
        watched it in Kazakh with english subtitles.

        (To be honest, the movie looks like a big budget flick, but with not
        so good acting. It was interesting to see the clothing, bits of yurt
        life, and associated customs)

        Orderic.