Re: [sig] help with Russian

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
      Nope, it's Prussian so all of your pent-up excitement has been
      transferred over to me. Whee!

      While some see German embroidery, I see something like the Latvian
      bronze-ringlet-decorated shawls. Like these:
      http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/tknany/tbl12.jpg

      picture from:
      http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/tknany/toc.html

      ~Asfridhr

      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:
      > Not Russian, unfortunately. And I was starting to get excited. :-P
      >
      > Sofya

    • quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
        It all just clicked! The group is called Kaup, right?
        They've named themselves after the possible name of the Prussian
        settlement now known as Mokhovoye (Wikipedia article here:
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mokhovoye )
        So, it's really likely that it's the native Baltic sort of Prussian
        embroidery, rather than the German-Prussian variety.

        That isn't to say that it's not German-- the Teutonic Knights became
        involved with Prussia in the early 13th century in the Baltic crusades.

        ~Asfridhr, who won't simply be quiet.

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:
        > Prussian embroidery of the 13th century from Kaliningrad regional
        historical-art museum.
      • magdalenag56
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
          > > Prussian embroidery of the 13th century from Kaliningrad regional
          > historical-art museum.

          I am so excited to see this unfold. And it fits so well for me. I do
          some embroidery and would like to reproduce this pattern on possibly a
          gown/dress.

          Cookbook find - I an not fluent in Polish by any stretch of the
          imagination but I am persistent, and have a live friend at work from
          Stettin. How may pages are in your book?

          Magdalena
        • magdalenag56
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
            Thank you Asfridhr for providing those links. I haven't seen them
            before.

            Sofya, be excited with me. the next wonderful find may be yours.

            Magdalena