RE: Re: [sig] Re: help with Russian

    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 30, 2007
      yeah....yeah.....yeah!
      --- "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:

      > Oprichnik?
      >
      > *ducks*
      >
      > Sofya
      >
      > >Whats
      > >Russian for "Local Strongarm of the Tsar" anyway?
      > >'dok

      > removed]

      http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/
    • quokkaqueen
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2007
        Nope, it's Prussian so all of your pent-up excitement has been
        transferred over to me. Whee!

        While some see German embroidery, I see something like the Latvian
        bronze-ringlet-decorated shawls. Like these:
        http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/tknany/tbl12.jpg

        picture from:
        http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/pictures/nahlik/tknany/toc.html

        ~Asfridhr

        --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:
        > Not Russian, unfortunately. And I was starting to get excited. :-P
        >
        > Sofya

      • quokkaqueen
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2007
          It all just clicked! The group is called Kaup, right?
          They've named themselves after the possible name of the Prussian
          settlement now known as Mokhovoye (Wikipedia article here:
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mokhovoye )
          So, it's really likely that it's the native Baltic sort of Prussian
          embroidery, rather than the German-Prussian variety.

          That isn't to say that it's not German-- the Teutonic Knights became
          involved with Prussia in the early 13th century in the Baltic crusades.

          ~Asfridhr, who won't simply be quiet.

          --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "L.M. Kies" <lkies@...> wrote:
          > Prussian embroidery of the 13th century from Kaliningrad regional
          historical-art museum.
        • magdalenag56
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
            > > Prussian embroidery of the 13th century from Kaliningrad regional
            > historical-art museum.

            I am so excited to see this unfold. And it fits so well for me. I do
            some embroidery and would like to reproduce this pattern on possibly a
            gown/dress.

            Cookbook find - I an not fluent in Polish by any stretch of the
            imagination but I am persistent, and have a live friend at work from
            Stettin. How may pages are in your book?

            Magdalena
          • magdalenag56
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2007
              Thank you Asfridhr for providing those links. I haven't seen them
              before.

              Sofya, be excited with me. the next wonderful find may be yours.

              Magdalena