An interesting Viking-era suspended skirt and chemise

  • quokkaqueen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 26, 2007
      Hi guys,
      This appeared on the Norsefolk group, and I thought it would be worth
      passing it on:

      In a 10th century grave in Pskov, a birchbark box was found with a
      pair of tortoise brooches and some textiles inside.

      The textiles were reconstructed as a tubular suspended skirt and blue
      linen chemise.

      The exciting bit that made me think of this group, was that Viking
      stuff has been mentioned here before, and the people who know about
      sarafans can look at it too. (And maybe draw some parallels people
      haven't thought of?)

      Peter Beatson's
      summary:http://members.ozemail.com.au/~chrisandpeter/sarafan/sarafan.htm

      Russian report: