Re:yet another clothing question...

  • Larry Granberg
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2007
      I can not answer anything related to specific Sorbian clothing other than utilitarian is what utilitarian does. For many commoners the simple arm tube tunic, belted with leggings. During this time period, Slavic territory extended much further westward and southward than what today's cultural maps illustrate. For instance Berlin, Brandenburg and I forget right now a few other examples were originally Slavic - Bralino(a) and Brunabor. To the south before the Magyars invaded, split and formed a wedge between what is now Southern and Western Slavs this territory extended towards Lake Balaton (the Balaton Principality, Blatnograd, from the root-wood blatno meaning muddy). In short in as much in general, the various Slavic group dialects (before they became full languages of today) were greatly understood by all Slavs of that period, much of their dress had much in common.
      I find your name interesting, is your persona a Germanised Sorb etc? The western Slavs of this period-and the present- never referred to themselves by that name. At first Wend was Germanic for all groups not Germanic, then referred to all Slavs, then to the Western and Coastal Slavs, then specifically to the Sorbians.
      All the best.