Class, morality and clothing was Re: rus fitted dress

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2007
      Well, if I understand correctly, the basic argument was:
      "Russian women's garments are shapeless because Russian women were kept secluded and had to be suppressed from their evil temptress ways."

      It was modified to be:
      "Russian women's garments are shapeless because late period Russian noblewomen were kept secluded, etc. etc."

      My points are:

      Men's garments are almost as "shapeless" as the women's. (Men just seem to wear belts a little more.)
      Peasants' garments are as "shapeless" as the upper classes'.
      Pagan Rus garments are as "shapeless" as those of late period Orthodox.
      Russian women were probably not as secluded and sexless as your late period religious sources would like. They wouldn't have had to write them if the women were "behaving themselves".

      And yes, the SCA allows us all to be nobility, but most of us are very minor nobility. The majority will never attain the boyarstvo, i.e. peerage level, where the ideals of the terem would apply. Even among peers, its impractical to follow the rules of the terem at most SCA events. So in the end, the terem applies to very few Russian SCAdians, even among those who are late period. But if you can do it, I will be impressed. :-)

      Sofya

      Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser