RE: Re: [sig] rus fitted dress

  • Marilee Humason
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 13 1:25 PM
      Well, this is based on the books I have read about the
      religion as it relates to my persona, who is a 16th
      century Russian/Moscow noblewoman. Not to be confused
      with peasants or people in out laying areas where they
      are much less strict.
      Also the dresses are shapeless because I was 8 months
      pregnant and wearing the same dress I always wore and
      some people didn't know I was pregnant!
      I agree with the assessment from the Domostroi but if
      you read Olearius he talks about the great privaledge
      it was to actually meet the Boyars wife as they were
      not allowed out.
      And yes I do mean upper class, but then we in the
      Society are supposed to be creating noblemen. What we
      can actually create is not going to be purely period,
      it is going to be an SCA version of Period.
      Anastasia

    • Shannon Anderson
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 13 1:33 PM
        I like the Russian silhouette, it's comfortable and natural enough. Why I'm looking for something more fitted is a) there was only enough velvet left on the bolt I wanted for something skimpier and b) there's this European dress I've wanted to make for a long time and I was hoping to find it's Russian "cousin."

        I may just make the jacket we've been discussing with my remaining fabric, to go over a more typical dress.

        Thanks for the help,

        Margarita

      • DOUGLAS PETROFF
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 14 5:01 PM
          And please don't forget this all came about after the Mongolian period.
          The far eastern influence seems to play an important part. Sergius B