RE: Re: [sig] rus fitted dress

  • L.M. Kies
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 13, 2007
      > women were "evil" according to the
      >religion, so they weren't allowed to "tempt" men in
      >any way.

      I was always under the impression that such severe attitudes about women were confined to the rantings of monastic extremists, and not truly representative of Russian culture as a whole. After all, maidens were allowed to show their hair and women wore all sorts of pretty, tempting things.

      And while Russian garments are often described as "static" by authors, I find it much easier to move in them than my old fitted kirtle, or my Elizabethan bodice. So whose clothing is actually static?

      When cut correctly, I think Russian clothing is rather graceful, and not "shapeless". But it's not surprising that authors who've been indoctrinated into Western-style clothing and modern tayloring techniques and the benefits of the reforms of Peter the Great may have trouble evaluating "old fashioned" Eastern-style clothing on its own merits without imposing their own biases and expectations.

      >That is also why they were secluded in the
      >later centuries and not allowed to be with any man
      >other than their husband and immediate family

      Actually, only the very upper levels of late period Russian society practiced the seclusion of the terem. They were the only ones with houses big enough to shut away the women. Although the women weren't really shut away. They had an important role to play in behind-the-scenes politics and networking with the women of other noble families. Politics was all about family connections, and it was the women who made the marriages that created those family connections. And if you read the Domostroi carefully, you will see that the "secluded" mistress of the house was expected to supervise her servants and staff - including men, and there are other examples of the role of women in the Domostroi that clearly expect them to interact to some extent with men outside their "immediate family".

      So the seclusion of women could hardly be a religious/moral requirement if less than 5% of society could attempt it, and even that 5% didn't follow it perfectly.

      Just some thoughts,

      Sofya

      Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
      http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
    • Marilee Humason
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 13, 2007
        Well, this is based on the books I have read about the
        religion as it relates to my persona, who is a 16th
        century Russian/Moscow noblewoman. Not to be confused
        with peasants or people in out laying areas where they
        are much less strict.
        Also the dresses are shapeless because I was 8 months
        pregnant and wearing the same dress I always wore and
        some people didn't know I was pregnant!
        I agree with the assessment from the Domostroi but if
        you read Olearius he talks about the great privaledge
        it was to actually meet the Boyars wife as they were
        not allowed out.
        And yes I do mean upper class, but then we in the
        Society are supposed to be creating noblemen. What we
        can actually create is not going to be purely period,
        it is going to be an SCA version of Period.
        Anastasia

      • Shannon Anderson
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 13, 2007
          I like the Russian silhouette, it's comfortable and natural enough. Why I'm looking for something more fitted is a) there was only enough velvet left on the bolt I wanted for something skimpier and b) there's this European dress I've wanted to make for a long time and I was hoping to find it's Russian "cousin."

          I may just make the jacket we've been discussing with my remaining fabric, to go over a more typical dress.

          Thanks for the help,

          Margarita

        • DOUGLAS PETROFF
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 14, 2007
            And please don't forget this all came about after the Mongolian period.
            The far eastern influence seems to play an important part. Sergius B