RE: [sig] rus fitted dress

    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 13, 2007

      > But not actually fitted, not laced. No graceful,
      > figure-hugging hourglass cotehardies. That's a lost
      > cause.
      > I just gave mine to my sister. :-P
      >
      > Sofya

      LOL! That's so funny, I gave my one kirtle and one
      cotehardie to my sister too!

      --Sfandra

      ******************
      Posadnitsa Sfandra Dmitrieva iz Chernigova
      Haus Von Drakenklaue
      Kingdom of the East
      ******************
      Never 'pearl' your butt.

      It's here! Your new message!
    • Marilee Humason
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 13, 2007
        I am afraid you aren't going to find anything because
        the idea was a "static" figure,no shape. Everyone
        looked the same and women were "evil" according to the
        religion, so they weren't allowed to "tempt" men in
        any way. That is also why they were secluded in the
        later centuries and not allowed to be with any man
        other than their husband and immediate family, they
        were not to be trusted! Gotta love religions mostly
        created by men!
        Anastasia
        --- Shannon Anderson <kitonlove@...> wrote:

        > I just lucked out at a great fabric sale... $5 a
        > yard 60" wide silks. Now, I'm trying to get some
        > dresses cranked out (as are many of you, I'm sure)
        > before heading "home" to Pennsic.
        >
        > I have found this very nice figure in an illuminated
        > O from the "Master of the Willehalm Romance: The
        > Meeting of Malifer and Penthesilea" by Wolfram von
        > Eschenbach c. 1385, Prague. Penthesilea is wearing a
        > dress that very clearly has lacing up the front and
        > is fitted.
        >
        > This the closest I've found to anything even
        > remotely not-a-drapey-tunic within 100 years of my
        > persona date within the Slavic world. It probably
        > doesn't even count because the story is German, I
        > think. Does anyone have *anything* that suggests any
        > other types of fitting in Rus 12-13th cent. women's
        > dress?
        >
        > This might be a lost cause. All vague references to
        > waist created with anything other than a belt seem
        > to be Western influence, later period.
        >
        > Margarita

        > removed]

      • L.M. Kies
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 13, 2007
          > women were "evil" according to the
          >religion, so they weren't allowed to "tempt" men in
          >any way.

          I was always under the impression that such severe attitudes about women were confined to the rantings of monastic extremists, and not truly representative of Russian culture as a whole. After all, maidens were allowed to show their hair and women wore all sorts of pretty, tempting things.

          And while Russian garments are often described as "static" by authors, I find it much easier to move in them than my old fitted kirtle, or my Elizabethan bodice. So whose clothing is actually static?

          When cut correctly, I think Russian clothing is rather graceful, and not "shapeless". But it's not surprising that authors who've been indoctrinated into Western-style clothing and modern tayloring techniques and the benefits of the reforms of Peter the Great may have trouble evaluating "old fashioned" Eastern-style clothing on its own merits without imposing their own biases and expectations.

          >That is also why they were secluded in the
          >later centuries and not allowed to be with any man
          >other than their husband and immediate family

          Actually, only the very upper levels of late period Russian society practiced the seclusion of the terem. They were the only ones with houses big enough to shut away the women. Although the women weren't really shut away. They had an important role to play in behind-the-scenes politics and networking with the women of other noble families. Politics was all about family connections, and it was the women who made the marriages that created those family connections. And if you read the Domostroi carefully, you will see that the "secluded" mistress of the house was expected to supervise her servants and staff - including men, and there are other examples of the role of women in the Domostroi that clearly expect them to interact to some extent with men outside their "immediate family".

          So the seclusion of women could hardly be a religious/moral requirement if less than 5% of society could attempt it, and even that 5% didn't follow it perfectly.

          Just some thoughts,

          Sofya

          Lisa M. Kies, MD aka Lady Sofya la Rus
          http://www.strangelove.net/~kieser
        • Marilee Humason
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 13, 2007
            Well, this is based on the books I have read about the
            religion as it relates to my persona, who is a 16th
            century Russian/Moscow noblewoman. Not to be confused
            with peasants or people in out laying areas where they
            are much less strict.
            Also the dresses are shapeless because I was 8 months
            pregnant and wearing the same dress I always wore and
            some people didn't know I was pregnant!
            I agree with the assessment from the Domostroi but if
            you read Olearius he talks about the great privaledge
            it was to actually meet the Boyars wife as they were
            not allowed out.
            And yes I do mean upper class, but then we in the
            Society are supposed to be creating noblemen. What we
            can actually create is not going to be purely period,
            it is going to be an SCA version of Period.
            Anastasia

          • Shannon Anderson
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 13, 2007
              I like the Russian silhouette, it's comfortable and natural enough. Why I'm looking for something more fitted is a) there was only enough velvet left on the bolt I wanted for something skimpier and b) there's this European dress I've wanted to make for a long time and I was hoping to find it's Russian "cousin."

              I may just make the jacket we've been discussing with my remaining fabric, to go over a more typical dress.

              Thanks for the help,

              Margarita

            • DOUGLAS PETROFF
              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 14, 2007
                And please don't forget this all came about after the Mongolian period.
                The far eastern influence seems to play an important part. Sergius B