19th Century Clothing Resources

  • magdalenag56
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2 4:12 PM
      I agree that each resource should stand on it's own merit but that
      won't happen until people give up on long held beliefs.

      I have read that Matejko would put people in historical paintings of
      battles who were not at those battles to make polical statements. Or he
      would use the faces of himself (Stanczyk the jester) or contemporaties
      in paintings. This could be seen by critics as Matejko not being
      accurate. What painter does not do this?

      My first "resource" was Racinet's book. Even at that level of
      inexperience I could see how bizarre and inaccurate alot of those
      drawings were. It served it's purpose to make me look further. Braun
      and Schneider is IMHO slightly more accurate than Racinet but still
      very Victorian.

      The SCA is supposed to be educational. If it is not, then it is nothing
      more than LARP. And being educational, does that cease when you become
      a Laurel? For some Laurel is the final achievement. Unfortunately that
      is the appearance some, and I repeat some, not all, laurels have given
      the rest of us, that once you've become a laurel you need learn no more
      (because you now know everything). I will go out on a limb and say that
      I would not seek out a book merely because the laurelate approves of
      it. If it were for instance, a well documented book or if it were a
      book with wide reaching information,that would make me look for it.

      New resources are coming out of Poland every day. Things long hidden
      are now being donated to museums. As much as I would like to, I cannot
      afford a trip to Poland at the moment. Those of you who can, please
      share with the rest of us.

      Magdalena Gdanska