Norris, was Matekjo

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
      That's the funny thing about Norris, its a mixed
      bag...mostly I use his books for their illustrative
      value and pattern value for newbies and new costumers.
      OTOH, while I've heard many dissing his books and the
      drawings/patterns within, I also tend to see people's
      "research" very closely resembling these same patterns
      and looks. I'm not dissing anyone, I'm just noting a
      remarkable simmilarity.
      Then again, I also use the Medieval Tailors
      Assistant for the same uses, though it has much wider
      acceptance, especially withing the Laurelate, for
      beginning and intermediiate costumers. Maybe its a
      utility and application question, as much as being a
      historical /artifactual one?
      'dok

      Got a little couch potato?
    • magdalenag56
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2007
        I agree that each resource should stand on it's own merit but that
        won't happen until people give up on long held beliefs.

        I have read that Matejko would put people in historical paintings of
        battles who were not at those battles to make polical statements. Or he
        would use the faces of himself (Stanczyk the jester) or contemporaties
        in paintings. This could be seen by critics as Matejko not being
        accurate. What painter does not do this?

        My first "resource" was Racinet's book. Even at that level of
        inexperience I could see how bizarre and inaccurate alot of those
        drawings were. It served it's purpose to make me look further. Braun
        and Schneider is IMHO slightly more accurate than Racinet but still
        very Victorian.

        The SCA is supposed to be educational. If it is not, then it is nothing
        more than LARP. And being educational, does that cease when you become
        a Laurel? For some Laurel is the final achievement. Unfortunately that
        is the appearance some, and I repeat some, not all, laurels have given
        the rest of us, that once you've become a laurel you need learn no more
        (because you now know everything). I will go out on a limb and say that
        I would not seek out a book merely because the laurelate approves of
        it. If it were for instance, a well documented book or if it were a
        book with wide reaching information,that would make me look for it.

        New resources are coming out of Poland every day. Things long hidden
        are now being donated to museums. As much as I would like to, I cannot
        afford a trip to Poland at the moment. Those of you who can, please
        share with the rest of us.

        Magdalena Gdanska