Re: Dragelji

  • toirdhealbhach_gille_mhuire
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28 12:55 AM
      Greetings Susanna

      First off the pronunciation of my name. It is Scotish Celtic in
      origin thus the great jumble of letters that really dont need to be
      there. Pronunciation depends on the time period you look it up in.
      Since I choose early 14th century Scotland for my persona I pronounce
      it TUR-yal-vich, with the ch on the end being much like the soft ch
      in the scottish loch or the german bach. A more common, and later
      period, pronunciation is CHAR-loch. Hope that helps you to wrap you
      mind around all those letters. You should see the look on people
      faces when they ask me my name at an event and I give them the full
      name! Lord Toirdhealbhach Mor mac Gille Mhuire. TUR-yal-vich more
      mack hill vur is how all that is pronounced.

      Now then, THANK YOU for the help you are offering on the Dragelji
      thing, and my Wife LOVES Jelena! Two years ago we were only able to
      get a hand drawn location of the village from a man who had been
      there. Two days ago I found it on Google Maps. It is located just
      north and west of the city Boca Luca(sp? going off memory here). I
      hope that can help you a little. I found a Boca Lucia on a map of
      Bosnia from the 1300's and I assume that is the same city, but there
      was no mention of Dragelji anywhere. If you have any other questions
      please feel free to ask.

      In Service
      Toirdhealbhach
      --- In sig@yahoogroups.com, "Suzanne" <sovagris@...> wrote:

      > Toirdhealbhach [how *do* you pronounce that?],
      >
      > I can't help yet but I'll keep trying. This is the sort of
      challenge I enjoy. :-) I've looked
      > quickly through several Bosnian histories [in English] and some old
      Communist-era travel