My feelings on Matejko

  • magdalenag56
    Message 1 of 36 , Jun 26, 2007
      I'm going to throw in my 2 cents about Matejko's drawings.

      Thank you Rick for your input on this subject. Matejko is if not the
      best, one of the best national historians for Poland. He is a highly
      respected artist in Poland and those who have research Poland know
      this. He isn't someone who decided to draw his own interpretations of
      what he was seeing. He made his best effort to portray history
      accurately.

      I get tired of hearing that anyone who drew fashions during the
      Victorian era is unreliable and their work is to be disregarded
      because of it. How shortsighted that attitude is. I am lucky enough
      to own a few books on Polish art and I can compare some of Matejko's
      drawings to photos of museum pieces. The main differences are color
      of clothing not form.

      Because of the area of Europe in question we have to be open in our
      research because the resources are scarce. And no, I'm not saying we
      automatically accept each and every piece as proof of X or Y.

      If someone has solid evidence that Matejko's drawings and paintings
      are not reliable in their representations, please share them. Rick, I
      can verify one of Matejko's drawings in a photo of a late period
      Hatmaker's guild commerative glass tankard.

      Pani Magdalena
    • magdalenag56
      Message 36 of 36 , Jun 28, 2007
        I for one would like to hear how to work with the scarce resources I
        and I'm sure others, have to work with instead of wasting so much
        energy on whether it is an acceptable source or not.

        Feel free to email me off list.

        Magdalena