Dragelji

  • toirdhealbhach_gille_mhuire
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 26, 2007
      Hello all.

      I am brand new here so if this topic has been discussed I apologize.
      My Wife is looking to change her SCA Persona to...I think it would be
      Serb. Her RL Grandmother was from a small village in Bosnia named
      Dragelji or maybe another village named Brezovec. Anyway my Wife wants
      to use a Bosnian or Serb name follow with "of Dragelji". Wifes
      Grandmother was named Angel Dragelj so a few research think she was
      either from Dragelji or her ancestors were. My question is, for those
      who may know the area much better than I, how old is this village? Is
      it a pre 1600 place name? Any help, even to say that it is not a
      medieval village, would be helpful.

      Thank you very much
      Toirdhealbhach
    • Suzanne
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 27, 2007
        Toirdhealbhach [how *do* you pronounce that?],

        I can't help yet but I'll keep trying. This is the sort of challenge I enjoy. :-) I've looked
        quickly through several Bosnian histories [in English] and some old Communist-era travel
        books and haven't found any mention of those places or variations on the spellings of
        those places. But I admit that it's been an unscientific sort of search! My atlas is too small
        to help, so I'll have to go to the map room at the university to find anything detailed
        enough... and that probably won't happen for a couple of weeks. In the meantime, I hope
        someone else will have some information for you.

        Has your wife chosen a time for her persona? I found just a few women's names, but one
        of them was a queen of Bosnia for a few years at the very end of the 14th century: Helen,
        also called Gruba. The South Slavic variant of Helen is Jelena (pronounced Yell-en-a with a
        slight emphasis on the first syllable) and it's a common name in the area even today.

        YIS,
        Susanna

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 28, 2007
          Greetings Susanna

          First off the pronunciation of my name. It is Scotish Celtic in
          origin thus the great jumble of letters that really dont need to be
          there. Pronunciation depends on the time period you look it up in.
          Since I choose early 14th century Scotland for my persona I pronounce
          it TUR-yal-vich, with the ch on the end being much like the soft ch
          in the scottish loch or the german bach. A more common, and later
          period, pronunciation is CHAR-loch. Hope that helps you to wrap you
          mind around all those letters. You should see the look on people
          faces when they ask me my name at an event and I give them the full
          name! Lord Toirdhealbhach Mor mac Gille Mhuire. TUR-yal-vich more
          mack hill vur is how all that is pronounced.

          Now then, THANK YOU for the help you are offering on the Dragelji
          thing, and my Wife LOVES Jelena! Two years ago we were only able to
          get a hand drawn location of the village from a man who had been
          there. Two days ago I found it on Google Maps. It is located just
          north and west of the city Boca Luca(sp? going off memory here). I
          hope that can help you a little. I found a Boca Lucia on a map of
          Bosnia from the 1300's and I assume that is the same city, but there
          was no mention of Dragelji anywhere. If you have any other questions
          please feel free to ask.

          In Service
          Toirdhealbhach